Extreme Newbie!

boot

I just recently received an XLT, and I don't know where to start.  I read through the manual and I still can't seem to comprehend its functions.  The VDI numbers confuse me way too much to the point where I almost threw it out the front door one day during a bench test.  Any information on this detector and its controls would be salutary to my coinshooting.  I can't seem to find anything older than 1990.  Hey, but at least I'm giving it an honest effort.  What can you professional detectorists add in order to jumpstart my hobby? 

I have a Garrett, but let me offer this advice as a three-month newbie:
Build yourself a test garden by burying known items in known (marked) spots and known depths. Bury things like aluminum tabs, coins, gold and silver rings, if you have them lying around, iron and steel bits, foil, etc, and learn your machine. Keep track of exactly what is buried where and see how your machine reacts to each item. Bury some trash next to treasure and learn to discriminate between the two signals. Pour water over the ground and see what that does. See what I mean? At least you'll KNOW what's down there and you can start hearing what your machine is trying to tell you.

Don't be discouraged!

OH

First off, welcome to the forum Boot. The XLT is not a whole lot different than my DFX. Take one thing on the program and test it out till you are comfortable, and confident using it, and proceed from there. If you try to do too many functions at once, you will lose track of what is really going on and that WILL get to you in a hurry. The test garden would be a very good start for you. I have one I put in last year, and it has helped me learn a lot about the programming of my machine. Take your time, learn what the machine is telling you, and real soon everything will become clear to you.

Welcome Boot. If you like I can help you out. Give me a call and we can go over the detector and its function. I used one for 6 years.
860-623-1153

I have a friend with the same detector, and he went through the same frustration at first. But he is now very happy with it. I am allso new to this and the only advise I can give you is about the test garden. You might want to sweep the test area and dig everything first. I would hate to see someone put a test garden in a trashy area and add to the headaches. Good luck! HH

Back
Top Bottom