Newbie from rural Texas

Culbles

Go by Culbles. Been detecting in city parks and lakes for about six years. First and only detector so far is the Garrett ATPro. It has been good to me. Wanted a completely underwater detector but that stage has passed. Moved to the country a couple of years ago and am gearing up for detecting.

I found a shotgun shell that I needed to ID. Found the info here. Looks like a good find. Also, found American Eagle no 12 with it.

Attachments

• 20190226_130458 (2).jpg
    20190226_130458 (2).jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 224
Welcome, from WC Arkansas! Nice find! I've found several with the same stamp. Here is what "turtlehead" posted back in JUL 2009:

New Club - not a smokeless powder shell. It is a black powder shell.

Date range - 1892-1910

Double Circle around primer - 1892-1895 (end date approx.)

Plain Headstamp - 1895-1902 +/- a year or two

8 Pointed Star Variety 1 - 1902-1910 (beginning date approx.). Research indicates this variety was used for factory loaded shells.

8 Pointed Star Variety 2 - 1902-1910 (beginning date approx.). Research indicates this varidty was used for primed, empty shells.

I found a shotgun shell that I needed to ID. Found the info here. Looks like a good find. Also, found American Eagle no 12 with it.

Nice shotshell headstamp - thanks for posting that! I know some folks consider headstamps an annoyance or trash, but I really like digging them for several reasons. They often have a researchable history that I find interesting, and that also means you can usually find a date range for them. Once you know all that, headstamps can help date the ground you're hunting, build a picture of how the site was used, and give you an idea how far you might have to dig to reach silver. Not bad for the "lowly" headstamp ;)

Anyways, :welcome2: from the Great Black Swamp in NW Ohio!

If you're interested in finding other forum members in your area, check out our new Forum Member Map, and let me know if you'd like me to add a pin for you:

**Revived** Forum Member Map

Cleaning rust from headstamps

I love collecting headstamps. The hardest part is cleaning them but the ones that have got me puzzled are the Remington Expresses and Peters that have the primers that rust. The rust seems to bleed out over the brass and is impossible to remove. I've tried electrolysis and scrubbing with wire brushes but it only damages the headstamp and the rust on the brass stays. Any advice on removing the rust from the face of the brass headstamp? Here is a picture of some. Thanks!

Headstamp rust.jpg

Back
Top Bottom