• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

coil wire wrap

I forgot where I read it, but someone conducted a test to determine the best way to wrap a coil and the results were that it didn't matter how you wrapped it. You can wrap it any way and it will not effect performance. The only thing to be sure of is that the wire is not moving or else it will be picked up by your metal detector.

I was wondering how most people wrap there coil wire around the shaft. I've heard of wraping around counter clockwise is best. I have a garrett ace 250.

It really depends on where the cable exits the coil, relative to the shaft. Electrically, CW or CCW makes no difference, but mechanically, you want to immobilize the cable while minimizing the stress around the area where it exits the coil.

I forgot where I read it, but someone conducted a test to determine the best way to wrap a coil and the results were that it didn't matter how you wrapped it. You can wrap it any way and it will not effect performance. The only thing to be sure of is that the wire is not moving or else it will be picked up by your metal detector.

:yes::tumble::yes:

Vito

That is the best avatar I have ever seen for the hobby. Did you boost it from someone else, or did you make it?.....Gil

I was wondering how most people wrap there coil wire around the shaft. I've heard of wraping around counter clockwise is best. I have a garrett ace 250.

Just be sure there is enough slack at the coil to allow it to be accidently flipped without stressing the cable to coil connection. After that I wrap 3 or 4 tight winds at the bottom of the shaft and tape it. The rest can be wound
loosely and evenly up the shaft till you near the box, then maybe another piece of tape or velcro. The shaft can be lengthened or shortened for storage without straining the cable. It should look like a coil spring. I should'nt think the direction of the winding effects performance. But hey, maybe thats why a lot of people only find pull tabs.:spin:...Good luck with the Ace. A great machine....Gil

AS was stated above, The main thing is not to stress the connections and have no loose wire near the coil.

Good advice posted here. Long time ago I had a loose wrap and kept getting these signals as I swept - kinda at the end of each sweep. I finally realized it was the wire slapping the shaft. steve in so az

I use plastic cable ties, and the velcro which came with my machine.
As the others have said, leave enough slack to enable you to fold the head against the stem.

That is the best avatar I have ever seen for the hobby. Did you boost it from someone else, or did you make it?.....Gil

You're very kind, Sir. Yes, this avatar is hand crafted by my own. A very short slice from the CZ 70pro video.
TNX for the flowers Gil.

AlltheBest

Back
Top Bottom