Newly minted member

"The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

OK...not a phone book, but to my utter shock my detector has arrived in-country. I'm going to go pick it up in the capital tomorrow morning and try to learn how to use it. (And for those who don't recognize the phone book quote, you were born too late :))

"The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

OK...not a phone book, but to my utter shock my detector has arrived in-country. I'm going to go pick it up in the capital tomorrow morning and try to learn how to use it. (And for those who don't recognize the phone book quote, you were born too late :))

Is that you Navin? Is that a dog dode hangin' out yo mouth? Good luck with the new machine.

Made it down to the capital and got the detector yesterday. We headed over to a local park to try it out. Santo Domingo is bathed in centuries of history, but we just hit this park so I could get a handle on starting to learn the machine. I managed to *begin* learning and found a few things in a couple hours' worth of searching. The only coins were a peso and half-peso (half-peso no longer in production, but only from 1990 - its the larger coin).....combined face value roughly $0.03 US :). The US dime is pictured for scale because it's the only American coin I had lying around. There's also a broken key, what I believe is a broken piece of forceps/scissor handle, and a large nut. There was a warehouse on the site previously, and this looks like it'd fit one of the support column bases. I also found a 7" knife blade, a bunch of modern nails, and a metric buttload of Presidente bottle caps which were discarded into the trash at the park.

I only moved to the Dominican Republic in 2015, and thought it weird to have such a modern, large half-peso coin because the exchange has ranged from 42-50 pesos per dollar in my time. Turns out, in 1990 it was only 6-to-1. The peso has devalued quite a bit in 30 years.

All in all a really fun couple hours, even if we didn't find anything of note. This park is modern, but my friend has found a couple of old Spanish coins there in the past (well, pieces actually). Of course, he's also found a riot-dispersal grenade and some peculiar witchy-voodoo items. Yesterday, he found several modern coins and a few spent bullets.

Onward and upward.....
2fda8ed58fdf7497b9acc49846ff2db1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom