Something we may have overlooked

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Our generation or our several generations have one of the best treasures ever discovered. That is "Rock and Roll" music and followed with folk rock, psychedelic rock and hard rock music. It is all rock and roll to me to quote one song lyric.

Just think about it. My parents loved the 40's swing music. Hmm, lasted maybe 10 years. Our music was created in the 50's, 60's, 70's and some in the 80's and then basically stopped being created but still being performed by the original groups and cover bands and played on the radio and Internet over and over, in our films, in our stores and bars.

Most young people who have any taste for music listen to the same music we grew up with. So maybe rock and roll is not being created any more, it surely has not died.

When I listen to the great music especially the music created in the 1960's and 1970's I wonder why could not groups in the 90's, 00's, 10's and now create equally good music. Heck they cannot even come close. All the vocalists seem to use the voice altering electronics that make them all sound the same. The only exception is country music. They are still creating good country music.

Anyway the rock and roll sound tracks of our life are some true treasures that are always close by.

Blues, Jazz, and Country have been around much longer than R&R. Actually, R&R was born from those styles

Young people today listen to hip-hop or country, I don’t care for either as I’m a (flower) child of the 70’s and even though I’m approaching 60 years old I can still dig a good metal concert. At 100 if I make it I’ll still be listening to the mighty Zep!

Every generation has music their elders can’t stand :cool3:

The only rap I listen to comes from Psychopathic Records, and I do it just to irritate people who need irritating. :)

The only CDs I've bought recently (yes, I still buy those, and not downloadables like MP3s) are from groups I've listened to for a long time, so they probably count as oldies anyway.

-- Tom

I find that if you love Music you can always find "Something" you like about any Genre..

My Personal tastes is Heavy Metal.. however HM is closely related to Classical Music and I can enjoy that too.
I grew up on Classic 70's 80's rock and definitely gravitate to that on the Radio.
Country Music for me has to be more of a Cross Over variety for me to get into it.. Carrie Underwood covered Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home" and did a pretty damn good job of it !

I am not all that into Techno so much and as far as Rap/Hip hop goes there are a few.. Come On who doesn't like Coolio's Gangsters Paradise :cool3:

I find that if you love Music you can always find "Something" you like about any Genre..

My Personal tastes is Heavy Metal.. however HM is closely related to Classical Music and I can enjoy that too.
I grew up on Classic 70's 80's rock and definitely gravitate to that on the Radio.
Country Music for me has to be more of a Cross Over variety for me to get into it.. Carrie Underwood covered Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home" and did a pretty damn good job of it !

I am not all that into Techno so much and as far as Rap/Hip hop goes there are a few.. Come On who doesn't like Coolio's Gangsters Paradise :cool3:
I can tolerate 60/70’s country, my mother was a fan as I was growing up. Willie, Waylon and the boys...:cool3:...and Coolio had some good ones, (I miss MTV) but that style was from years ago and that’s not what the kids today listen to. Much of the newer ‘wrap’ is really offensive and degrading, and they blast it for all to hear. :no:

The late 50's and early 60's was my era. After that I could not stand what was called music. I like classic country and classic Rock and Roll.

Young people today listen to hip-hop or country, I don’t care for either as I’m a (flower) child of the 70’s and even though I’m approaching 60 years old I can still dig a good metal concert. At 100 if I make it I’ll still be listening to the mighty Zep!

Every generation has music their elders can’t stand :cool3:

I am not so sure. My son loves my music from the 60's & 70's. He say the music from his generation (graduated HS 2000) cannot compare except with Red Hot Chili Peppers. I agree with him on RHCP. They area a great rock band.

And then there were those instrumentals from the sixties that just can't ever be matched, such as:

Mason Williams's Classical Gas.

Or Bert Kaempfert's Wonderland by Night

I am not so sure. My son loves my music from the 60's & 70's. He say the music from his generation (graduated HS 2000) cannot compare except with Red Hot Chili Peppers. I agree with him on RHCP. They area a great rock band.
We all have our favorites!

I love music, and I'm a musician..

I love everything including hip hop, rap, Hawaiian, bluegrass, old country, metal, Celtic, classical..

Biggest exception would be disco.. Hopefully that doesn't come back! Not into jazz so much, but I don't hate it like disco..

<°)))>{

I love music, and I'm a musician..

I love everything including hip hop, rap, Hawaiian, bluegrass, old country, metal, Celtic, classical..

Biggest exception would be disco.. Hopefully that doesn't come back! Not into jazz so much, but I don't hate it like disco..

<°)))>{

I too am not a fan of Disco.. but as always there are a few exceptions.. Wait.. come to think of it.. in this instant there isn't :lol:

In a family of musicians the stuff we all gravitate to is classic rock and heavier rock.Entertaining for us to play and entertaining for the people who see us. No crazy computerized vocals or complicated drum machines. Just turn up and rock.

When I was in grade school, my grandpa and I watched "Deadman's Curve" - (the story of Jan and Dean). After that, I became obsessed with surf music. Weird for a country boy from Southern Illinois! None of my friends shared my appreciation for that style of music though. lol

I agree with maxxkatt. I like 50's, 60's up to mid 70's Rock, Pop, and local Garage bands. ("Golden Oldies"). Also specialize in mid 50's Rockabilly. I didn't start buying 45's until about 1965 and I have thousands, also Lp's. I also like 1920s-mid '30s pop, and jazz 78s. I have about a thousand of those also. That came from my collecting wind-up Victrolas. Nowdays I compile and burn my own CD's. I don't stream music at all.

Attachments

• LPs.jpg
    LPs.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 246
Back
Top Bottom