minelab pro find 35 vs Garrett Carrot

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Sold my AT Pro along with the Garrett Carrot and some coils to pay for my Nox 800.

A nice suprise when I bouight the minelab profind 35.
On the Garret Carrot I had to cycle thru the silent and non-silent mode to change sensitivities. A big waste of time.

The profind 35 just toggles +key to increase sensitivity and - key to decrease sensitivity. so sensible and much fewer button pushes. On the Carrott I would often miss the desired setting and have to go around the complete cycle again.
In my opinion the Minelab profind 35 is a better design.

and the off key to turn off and on key to turn on on the minelab profind 35.

remember the design statement KISS Keep It Simple Stupid? When designing something you are using all the time, it needs to be simple.

Sold my AT Pro along with the Garrett Carrot and some coils to pay for my Nox 800.

A nice suprise when I bouight the minelab profind 35.
On the Garret Carrot I had to cycle thru the silent and non-silent mode to change sensitivities. A big waste of time.

The profind 35 just toggles +key to increase sensitivity and - key to decrease sensitivity. so sensible and much fewer button pushes. On the Carrott I would often miss the desired setting and have to go around the complete cycle again.
In my opinion the Minelab profind 35 is a better design.

and the off key to turn off and on key to turn on on the minelab profind 35.

remember the design statement KISS Keep It Simple Stupid? When designing something you are using all the time, it needs to be simple.

Yea, but they have to change one little thing, while keeping the design almost virtually the same, so they can sell it as a new and improved product thats the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I'm just curious, do you find yourself changing sensitivity a lot? I always set my pinpointers on the highest sensitivity, since all of them can be detuned on the fly while you're in the hole.

What I do is when I find the target with my pin pointer then I reduce the sensitivity which gives me a better idea where in the hole the target is located. If I lose the target I increase the sensitivity a notch. At max sensitivity the target appears in a larger area of the hole. with the reduce sensitivity you really have to have the pointer almost on top of the target. If i reduce sensitivity and I still find a response all over the hole, I assume it is a much larger target. And if coin hunting, I know it is not a coin.

also I often use the same technique before I dig the hole if the pinpointer will indicate a target. in that case you can actually outline the size of the target and again rule out large junk if you are coin hunting.

I like my Makro much better than the Carrot. No falsing and protective tip covers that are functional. When/if the Makro fails , may look at the Pro-find 35.

If I could change one thing with the Carrot, I would want the on/off button be instantaneous, without having to hold it down. That adds a lot of time, added up over a day of retrieving targets. Of course, that would mess with the detuning button press, I suppose. But it takes too long to turn it on and off.

Saying that, I've never used any other pinpointer, so I have nothing to compare it to. But I still wish it would turn on and off more quickly.

If I could change one thing with the Carrot, I would want the on/off button be instantaneous, without having to hold it down. That adds a lot of time, added up over a day of retrieving targets. Of course, that would mess with the detuning button press, I suppose. But it takes too long to turn it on and off.

Saying that, I've never used any other pinpointer, so I have nothing to compare it to. But I still wish it would turn on and off more quickly.

I like the Garrett, but would like to see a separate adjustment button.

I've used both the carrot and the profind 25. I love minelab, but they really need to get in the pinpointer game IMO. I was less than impressed with their pointer. The speaker was always clogging up with dirt, the button got stuck sometimes, and its not waterproof, only water resistant. At times I felt water was getting into the housing, when only using it in the rain, not IN the water. Garrett still holds the top spot in my book. How much easier can ONE button get? Alot of people overlook the detune function. I never change my sensitivity level, so that might be why it's no big deal to me. Just my opinion! To each their own! Good luck and happy hunting!

I have both as well. The main reason I picked up the Profind was it's iron tone ID feature, but I've found it's hit or miss. I still prefer the Garrett for its overall build quality, ergonomics, detune feature and simplicity. It just works.

Just recently picked up a Profind 35 from Jeff at Quality Metal Detectors ( great guy to buy from). Anyway, I really like it. Very straightforward and simple to adjust the settings. It's early in the season but so far, so good. Will know more as hunting time increases.

I have bother the Carrott and the Makro Pinpointers.. I leave the Carrott on MAX sensitivity as it will punch down and pin point a deep coin for me and then use the Makro that is set at a lower sensitivity to really pin point the target within the hole.. Easy enough to carry bother devices on the belt. Like most people, changing the settings on the Carrott can be a tad frustrating at times. ;)

Just picked up a Pro find 35 tonight. Between the reviews and the strait forward simplicity I know Im going to enjoy using it. Sensitivity adjust without having to navigate a menu in and out, just +or -. Sweet!

WOW, I'm at a loss. If I ever needed to adjust my pointer I could do it while still in my pouch with the Carrot. It is so simple if you know how to use it. There is a manual. What I don't get is all this needing to reprogram your pointer to find a target. It's like OK, my $1,600 detector says it is a conductive target, but hey, let's wait and see what my pointer says LOL. If there is iron in the hole you are going to want to remove it anyway right? The only time I have ever had interference with my Carrot was with my Simplex+ and then I just got in the habit of shifting the frequency to F1 before I started hunting. In my 20+ years of using a pinpointer, I have NEVER EVER had any reason to turn it down, or even adjust it but once when I first got it.

I do think the price for some of the top-rated pointers is way too high. Heck, you can almost buy a complete detector for the cost of a Carrot. Come on Garrett, $140 for a pinpointer?

Last edited:
Heck, you can almost buy a complete detector for the cost of a Carrot. Come on Garrett, $140 for a pinpointer?
It's a VERY popular pinpointer that works well for most folks. Analogy to cars, people will pay more for a vehicle they perceive as superior to a lesser model, even though they are basically the same. Make it and people will buy it.

Mark in Michigan

I've used both the carrot and the profind 25. I love minelab, but they really need to get in the pinpointer game IMO. I was less than impressed with their pointer. The speaker was always clogging up with dirt, the button got stuck sometimes, and its not waterproof, only water resistant. At times I felt water was getting into the housing, when only using it in the rain, not IN the water. Garrett still holds the top spot in my book. How much easier can ONE button get? Alot of people overlook the detune function. I never change my sensitivity level, so that might be why it's no big deal to me. Just my opinion! To each their own! Good luck and happy hunting!
I found the quality of the Profind 35 to be pretty horrible. It didn't take too many hours for it to start acting up. The turning off by itself randomly was a big problem. I have since bought a Vibraprobe. No on/off buttons to deal with, just tip it up and it vibrates to turn on. Tip it up again when you want to shut it off. It is a vibrate only/tip only pinpointed. It does exactly what a pin pointer is supposed to do, it pin points. Plus it is vibrate only. It doesn't play nice with the Equinox 800 though so since it's a pulse pin pointer but that is an easy remedy. But the quality is great. But I agree, Minelab has a long way to go in the pin pointer department.

To me one button to perform three functions is NOT simple, it's complicated. Would love three buttons one for each function, on/off, vibrate/sound and sensitivity. That would be simple.

I have a Vibraprobe 560 I've had for a very long time and don't use it as it is a pain in the neck. To use it you take it out of its holder turn it upside down till it turns on and repeat the procedure to turn it off. Plus, it is big and bulky. I only kept it as it was totally waterproof. I may look at the Profind 35. Not that I need another pinpointer. I have a few of the Garretts.

To me one button to perform three functions is NOT simple, it's complicated. Would love three buttons one for each function, on/off, vibrate/sound and sensitivity. That would be simple.
I mean the only function one uses regularly is on/off. Once your in your preferred setting, it's turn on and go for the most part. You shouldn't have to fiddle with any settings once it's in your preferred mode. Anyone try minelabs pro find 40? Wondering how their latest pinpointer stacks up against the current top pinpointers, and if they made any improvements over the 35...

One thing that the Carrot has going for it, which often gets overlooked by manufacturers of other pinpointers is the ease of finding the button without having to look for it. The button is large and flat. Very easy to get your thumb on it. A lot of other pinpointers I've tried have a smaller button with no flat spot, so you have to stop and look for the button every time. Thats the main reason I've stuck with the Carrot for so long.

I leave my pinpointer on the same setting all the time. I do hold it to the ground to detune it as I turn it on before going after the target.

Back
Top Bottom