Coin: Julius Caesar 'war elephant'.

Thank you for the views and your kind comments.

I will endeavour to answer the questions below.

That is a really nice find Doug! Is there currency older than that? :?: congrats on another mind blowing find!

Thank you.

The first recorded currency would be imported gold coins into S. E. England 150 BC onwards.

Britains first coins came in around the end of the 2nd century BC being a non gold type.

The domestic production started around 70 BC and those being gold.

Great Gimlis Ghost! Sweet Shards of Narsil! Holy Hannibal! A War Elephant Coin! Thats not an Eye popper! Thats an Aspergillum puckerer!! :laughing:

Do you have to submit that find to the British Royal Relic thingamajiggy?

Thank you Mr Mud.

Under *current* legislation (England & Wales) I do not have to declare it but I can submit for entry on the GB finds data base.

*There is currently a legal document which is up for discussion and consultation to those who are involved in metal detecting to amend the Treasure Act 1996 Code of Practice..

There are reasons why the authorities feel the need to update the legal side of our chosen hobby. Not sure I fully agree with them

Under a revised act of 1996 the coin would have to be declared by law to the appropriate authorities, should it 'ever' come into force.

That is unbelievable! :shock: How deep was it buried? Thanks for sharing!

Thank you.

Not very deep around 8 inches, field was ploughed last year.

Absolutely stunning! Congrats on the find! And it's quite impressive that historians can even figure out a time period that the coin was minted, thousands of years ago, down to a couple of months!

Thank you.

There being no mint mark I assume it is the design of the coin which gives the minted date?

Congrats on the coin find of a lifetime! Is that the oldest coin ever found and posted on this forum?

Thank you.

I posted a coin bronze coin from the Bronze ages some time ago which may have been slightly older?

That's a little better than finding a nice Merc over here...… :lol:

Holy Cow Doug, you never cease to amaze with you finds! Great one!

AMAZING FIND!!! Any time I see something you post I have to click LOL! I haven't been let down yet! This just confirms my need to go metal detecting in England!

Back
Top Bottom