Should I get a new detector?

andrgo

Hey guys,

Have metal detectors changed very much in the last decade +?
My current detector is a Whites Silver Eagle from the early 90's.
It still finds things well, but I'm wondering if I should get a new one.

Do the new ones these days have better options for filtering out garbage/junk stuff? (I've only found like 10 coins and 2 necklaces in my whole life, the rest is like a 5-gallon bucketful of garbage.. yikes!)

I'm just wondering if I should keep using my detector or if I should get a new one, assuming they have way better options to filter out the crap I find, or if the new ones are better at pinpointing and whatnot.

Thank you guys! :D
Andrew

Andrew are newer detectors better, yes. But let me say that I was finding 1000's of coins with my 1985 Whites 6000 DI series 3. It still is a good detector just not as deep as my new one. I don't know why you only found 10 coins but a new detector wouldn't solve the problem. I'm sure you will hear from some Eagle users that are doing great. Rob

The Silver Eagle is only a cut down version of the Spectrum. Same performance and discrimination just not as many user adjustments and programme slots (three rather than four).
I keep the XLT because its so good at avoiding the digging of unwanted rubbish.
I think you must be going to poor detecting sites and or not taking on board what the machine is trying to tell you. I can't remember if they have the full 'Signagraph' feature on your model. If it does ie large iron creating a smear of blocks across the display then that deals with the large iron, the discrimination deals with the small and general rubbish and large items can be ignored by checking the grouping of the display blocks on the display. Most coins will only display as one or two blocks.
Thinking about it you may not have the full display which means your stuck with just a suggested target I.D. and a VDI number. This number may well be wrong as two targets under or near the coil with end up added together and give the wrong result possibly leading you to ignore good items and dig bad.
So I'm now going to have a complete change of heart and say you should consider a new machine.
Anyone with a Spectrum or XLT having similar problems try dumping the stock 950 coil and get the eight inch that suffers much less from target masking (six inch for really bad sites).

I am still using a whites 5500d series3 and know it like the back of my hand. Bought it new 25 years ago and it still performs magnificently.

I've got a lot of older machines, some of which are better than the new on the right sites but I think in this case he should get rid of the detector as Whites dropped a couple of the best features of the Spectrum off Andrews machine which even with experience he would find hard to work round.

Back
Top Bottom