A couple of new City Directory ideas

DigDig618

The ground has frozen in my area so until there is a break in the weather, it looks like it's research time for the next several weeks. I have always found directories fascinating. looks like they can be very useful in connection with metal detecting research. I listened to a podcast by Dan Hughes in which he suggested looking for grocers or groceries. It makes sense. Before there were supermarkets, the neighborhood grocery was ubiquitous. On top of that, people walked to and from the neighborhood grocery with change in their pockets. Other businesses that you might find in a residential neighborhood (more likely to have yards and curb strips) include barbers, beauty shops, taverns and boarding houses - to name a few. All of these types of places are likely to have been heavily trafficked by people with change in their pockets.

The older city directories (Polk's is one of the biggest names) list an individual's occupation - and back in the day people typically lived in the same place and worked at the same job for years and years. What someone did for a living can definitely be a clue as to what might be in their yard. Do you think that someone who drove a cab for 20 years in the 20's and 30's might have dropped a few coins here and there? How about jewelers, shopkeepers, lawyers or politicians?

Check out prohibition era directories (1920-1933) and look under the heading "soft drinks." Many of these establishments were fronts for speakeasies and could be found in residential neighborhoods as well.

If the ground weren't frozen I'd be testing out these ideas out myself right now. If anyone in warmer weather cares to try any of these ideas out, it'd be great if you let us know whether you have any luck.

Cheers.

Cool!
Yeah, I scope out the old schools, and then identify any dirt alleys that radiate out from them..to the nearest park or store or old neighborhood....Those alleys used to be HEAVY kid trails...thats where the fights took place too. Yeah they are full of trash, but sort of fun to pick your way through on occasion when a guy wants to hear a lot of tones!

Nobody runs those alleys anymore as much as they did back in the day...
Mud

I did inside sales for Polk City Directory products for seven years, up until InfoUSA closed our office (they bought Polk City Directory). I remember throwing old Polk City Directories that we no longer needed for sales, into the trash. :( I kept a few for certain towns in KS that I had a connection with, but wish I could have saved more. Some libraries and government offices kept all the ones that they purchased, for decades, so you might just have some luck with the old ones. If anyone has questions about them, I'll do my best to answer them. :yes:

Makes alot of sense, Mud Puppy. I will definitely keep that in mind.

Crackerjack, thanks for the offer. Might definitely come in handy. Those Polk directories have lots of good stuff!

The ground has frozen in my area so until there is a break in the weather, it looks like it's research time for the next several weeks. I have always found directories fascinating. looks like they can be very useful in connection with metal detecting research. I listened to a podcast by Dan Hughes in which he suggested looking for grocers or groceries. It makes sense. Before there were supermarkets, the neighborhood grocery was ubiquitous. On top of that, people walked to and from the neighborhood grocery with change in their pockets. Other businesses that you might find in a residential neighborhood (more likely to have yards and curb strips) include barbers, beauty shops, taverns and boarding houses - to name a few. All of these types of places are likely to have been heavily trafficked by people with change in their pockets.

The older city directories (Polk's is one of the biggest names) list an individual's occupation - and back in the day people typically lived in the same place and worked at the same job for years and years. What someone did for a living can definitely be a clue as to what might be in their yard. Do you think that someone who drove a cab for 20 years in the 20's and 30's might have dropped a few coins here and there? How about jewelers, shopkeepers, lawyers or politicians?

Check out prohibition era directories (1920-1933) and look under the heading "soft drinks." Many of these establishments were fronts for speakeasies and could be found in residential neighborhoods as well.

If the ground weren't frozen I'd be testing out these ideas out myself right now. If anyone in warmer weather cares to try any of these ideas out, it'd be great if you let us know whether you have any luck.

Cheers.

Thank you, I never gave prohibition and the speak easies any thought when looking at an area.

Our local library has those old city directories going back to 1886 or so. Also some Sanborn Fire Insurance maps both bound and on microfilm. I'm hitting on them all the time.

Great idea s guys. froze in here too so it's all about reseach and planning now.

Back
Top Bottom