Half a day dog

Hdnsouth

Forum Supporter
Sorry this is not detecting related. I'm retired and doing a job for a lady I worked with for years. I am still young in mind and spirit and find myself getting ready to do things that I realize that I can't. My hunting dog Rudy who is no longer with me was the best I would like to take credit for his ability and say I trained him but bottom line he was a natural other than working with him on commands when it came to birds it was instinctual when the fall season was coming whether it was quail, pheasant, or sharp tails I'd start getting invites for hunts I knew I was getting invited on a lot of hunts because if I was there they knew Rudy would also be there. In the last few years he would run to the bedroom and stop short of the bed because he could no longer jump that high and wait for me to pick him up and set him on the bed he was with me day in day out and was a chance taken that paid off. Originally when I went to the breeder who'd posted an add for Brittany Spaniels I picked one out and named him Woody he died from parvo shortly after I got him the breeder told me he had one dog left that so far no one wanted I could have him or my money back I took a chance and took the one no one else wanted and he turned out to be the one there was all the others and then there was him. He knew when I was getting ready for a hunt those were the only nights he wouldn't sleep in the bed he'd go to the kitchen and drag my hunting coat off the chair and sleep on it I guess to make sure I didn't try slipping out without him. Forth of July was always a pain in the neck he'd hear the reports from the fireworks and think it was gun shots and want to know why aren't we heading that way. I've got his ashes on the mantle I knew where I was going to spread them in the field where he took his first AKC sanctioned hunt ribbon I've taken him there several times and always returned to set him back on the mantle. In the last few years after about half a day I'd have to carry him back to the truck he couldn't go any more even though he wanted to in mind and spirit. I guess we all reach that point and I'm also just a half a day dog now.

I'm so sorry you lost your best friend. It's never an easy thing to endure when a family member leaves this world. But take solace in the fact he had a real good life. You took him when no one else did, and that says it all. The bond you had will never go away. Gone but definitely not forgotten.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I had a best friend for 13 years. She too was the best dog, naturally, that I could have ever asked for. She knew over 50 commands, and never needed a leash. She was my best friend and we could speak without words.

She meant the world to me, and even as I type this it saddens me to know that she is no longer here. I too have her ashes, and couldn't bring myself to do anything with them. The day she passed away is one that will live with me forever.

She came inside, nudged my leg, nudged my 4 year olds hand, went and laid on her pillow and passed away.

I have always believed that when she nudged me and then him, she was telling me "Take good care of him like you did me dad."

This poem says alot about our pets never dying love.

Don’t think of her as gone away,
her journey’s just begun,
life holds so many facets
this earth is only one.

Just think of her as resting
from the sorrow and the tears
in a place of warmth and comfort,
where there are no days and years.

Think how she must be wishing
that we could know today
how nothing but our sadness
can really pass away.

And think of her as living
in the hearts of those she touched,
for nothing loved is ever lost,
and she was loved so much.

Just wanted to share that with you.

I too know how you feel about the half a day dog. I guess we all reach that point at some time or another during our lives.

The older I get the more I appreciate the things that I can do. The more I appreciate TODAY because we never know what tomorrow holds for us.

Keep pluggin away bud, even if it's half a day, you're still above ground, so it can't be all bad. :)

Hdnsouth, I'm very sorry for your loss. We really do feel your pain and wish you many happy memories of your dear friend.

My wife thinks the reason I won't have another dog is because she's allergic. The truth is I just can't go through that kind of loss again. I've lost family members and dear friends but each time a pet goes it hits me much deeper. I think of those loving eyes looking at me with a love and understanding I've never felt from another human and then the pain they suffer as they get older which they cannot tell us about and then the ultimate difficult (impossible) decision to end their pain, and I just can't do it again.

There are a a lot of pets out there now ,that need help . The animal world needs people like those above , for that reason, I hope sometime you find room in your heart to find a new friend to share your life.
HH

Thank you all Rudy has been gone now for over four years my post was to express that I now know how he felt with age. I want another gun dog but am not sure I'd be able to keep up with one when Rudy and I were in our prime we were a team that couldn't be beat I'd have to be carful or we'd be limited out on birds within a couple hours and waiting for tomorrow so we could be in the middle of it when another covey rouse. Rudy I miss you and those days that at the time I thought would never end.

Back
Top Bottom