Does anyone have a knee replacement and still detect?

Hound46

I don't have one....yet. I'm approaching 50 and work in rehab. Avoid surgery at all cost in most situations. I worked bees and metal detected today. I Had to cut the hunt short because of knee pain. Is anyone metal detecting with a new knee. I'm curious in case my plan to tough it out Fails?

I need new elbows, too. That's one-well2 times that surgery was the right decision. Not new but remodeled. New elbows=no resisted use.

Anyway....my original question is about the ability to metal detect with a new knee. Maybe another part of the question should be how long have you done it?

I know detectors pick up my titanium neck. I'd venture to say a titanium knee would make you quit using a pulse induction unit. As far as fake knees go. I got a friend in his 80's with two fake ones. He can out golf Tiger Woods:shock:

January 5, 2015 is my 6th Anniversary of having my left knee replacement! I got back in to metal detecting two years after my husband passed away in 2010 just for something to do! Hasn't stopped me yet! No pain at all. I have used a Bounty Hunter 202 and still use a Tesoro Compadre -- no interference at all unless I happen to be sitting/kneeling on the ground and the coil happens to be near it -- that's when the headphones come off! (Just because I forgot to move it and about blew my eardrums out)! :laughing: :roll: :shock: And yes I do kneel on that knee at times! I'm 66 in case you're curious! And so far, no problems! Best thing I ever did!!! Before that I could barely walk let alone metal detect (been in the hobby since 1999 +/- a year or two. Gave it up because I couldn't do it and had no one to detect with. Now, I go alone 99% of the time and love it!

My surgery went better than I expected having seen others have problems; which could have been due to the doctor they had or they didn't follow through with their therapy like they were supposed to! I was completely pain free and walked completely unassisted (no walker, crutch or cane) after the initial physical therapy (2-4 months after surgery)! In fact, they had me up walking (with a walker within 24 hours of the surgery -- against my will but if I wanted to get out of the hospital in 2-3 days instead of a WEEK I had to do what they said)! And by the time I went to the doctor in 2 weeks to get the staples out I was walking unassisted then -- some of the others weren't that had their surgery the same time I did. I was determined it wasn't going to get me down -- and besides I didn't have any pain.

Yes you will have trouble bending it the first few weeks -- but that's your goal to get it mobile again!The therapist will push you (or your knee)! I was detemined! And it paid off. My scar is minimal (compared to some I've seen) -- depends on the doctor. The more therapy you do with or without a therapist will be to your advantage. Good luck when your time comes! It will depend on the doctor you get and what YOU do afterwards that will determine your success!

I wish you all the best!

Good to hear. Pennyfinder, I've seen your attitude and work ethic lead to success for 20 years. It's the mojo that can make a difference in success and failure. I'm a hand therapist so I don't see or know of any of the people that have had knee replacements and also metal detect. I'm not there yet, but it's nice to know that it won't necessarily take you out of the hobby if the time comes. Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

Back
Top Bottom