I need help from Two-Box users

Reda

I'm new to this (sounding-so-exciting) hobby. After long research, I decided to get a 2-box detector, as I'm into caches and treasures.

Most of my detecting will be on dry soil or clay.

I have few questions to be answered by those who use or used to use 2-box machines:

1- Can the 2-box machine descriminate gold from other metals or scraps?

2- Does the 2-box machine tell how deep the "find" is?

3- What is the best 2-box machine, and why?

And yes, by the way, What is (motion) and (no motion) specs?

Thank you all for the help.

Reda

Helllooooo. Is there anybody :( out there?

At least say something!!

Reda :?:

Only just got up....its morning here.
Two types of hoard/cache hunter.
Two Box....Fisher Gemini, Whites, Discovery TF900 or get a Garrett Grand Master Hunter and add a depth multiplier or GTI 2500 with D.M. Eagle Eye.
All subject to ground mineralisation and salt. Depth can easily halve.
On a coke can sized target I would say the Discovery is deepest at three feet plus. Garretts should both hit three feet, Whites and Fisher Gemini two and a half. Thats not all the story though as if you were looking for very big items then the Fisher performs better than the others. These are best depths...I have never seen targets dug much deeper than four feet though there might just not have been any deep targets.
Discrimination cannot really be applied at the depths you would be detecting but as no item smaller than fist size is picked up (coins or rubbish) you will only have larger items to dig.
If you are prepared to splash out there's a whole range of Pulse machines that are not so affected by mineralisation or salt. Pulse Star, Lorenz, Deepers etc These have a degree of discrimination (ferrous/non-ferrous) however its size limited. You could discriminate/I.D. a six inch cube of iron but not one one or two inches square. You can stick huge coils on a P.I. but to get to twenty feet you would need a large coil thats hard to handle (suspend from straps and have someone at each end) and its difficult to handle them over rough ground.

Just remembered why I prefer the Discovery to the Whites...its got an auto ground balance system (think its a little cheaper to).
To sum up. I don't like the Garrett but take the Depth Multiplier off and you have a good coin hunting machine.
All the other two box will not find coins or small items so you will need another detector.
Pulse very expensive, size limited discrimination on most of the top models but will allow small loops so could be used for coin hunting as long as your prepared to dig small iron. Better on bad ground and wet sand.

Well, thank you very much, Brian.

At least I'm narrowing my choices now.

Maybe Garretts :?: As you said; it can be used for caches and also for coins and small objects

What do you (or the others) think?

Reda

Hey Reda, I too am searching for a 2-box. Thinking I will go with the Discovery.

Hey Reda- First, WELCOME.

I think there may have been some confusion of posts since there were several at once asking pretty much the same question. Another reason for the slow response is that there are very few two box users on this forum that I know of. Brian is from UK, and they definitely know their cache hunting over there.

I am researching my first cache machine as well. As confusing as picking a first plain ole metal detector can be, it is really compounded when you start talking caches since they come in dozens, or scores of shapes, sizes, and containers. If this is your first detector, I highly recommend you get a standard high end VLF detector and get that learning curve over with. With an optional large size coil, some caches can be found up to about 16-18" or so, and you will also be able to find the single coins from a scattered cache.

No detector will be able to tell you for sure that it has found gold. Some can give you a few good clues (audio and visual) but you have to dig to know for sure. In addition, no detector will find a cache without LOTS of research. While doing this research you can be having fun with a "swinger" finding coins and relics which can be good clues to the whereabouts of your caches

If you insist on getting a cache machine, I would take a look at some PI machines as well as the 2box.

From my reading, the top two 2boxes are the Discovery TF900 and the Fisher Gemini.

Here's a link to some cache hunters
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,3.0.html

Hope I haven't confused you more
Kevin

Not at all, Kevin. Thank you very much for this advice. :!:

Never really thought about doing the research while swinging! Why didn't I think of that???!!

But from the research I've been and still doing I haven't come across a VLF machine that can go as deep as (16-18"). Which one is it?

The guys have convinced me with Discovery TF900. I'm going for it, but as I said (in some forum - I can't remember which one it is) I don't mind getting the bits and pieces in between.

Any more ideas :(

Reda

By "some caches" I mean a large metallic container (12"x12" or so, and in favorable soil conditions) I dug up a square of thin steel plate a couple weeks ago with my MXT that really had my pulse rate up until I found out it was not a box. Probably 12x16 or so. I "guesstimated" it at 18", but 16" would be a safe bet. It was buried under wood and coal ash/cinder so this may have allowed deeper that normal detection but not sure.

The Nautilus has a reputation for the most raw depth among CW relic hunters. The upper echelon of detectors from the "Big 5" with a 14-18 inch searchcoil are candidates. If money is no object :lol: check out the Nexus.

Glad you have a machine now. I concur with your choice. Now send in those pics.

Back
Top Bottom