MD Permit? NY State

byb310

Hi All,

My first detector will be arriving Wednesday night... I had no idea but it seems that NY requires a permit to metal detect?

Do all of you NY'ers (inlcluding Long Island) on this site have one? Has anyone been stopped and been questioned for this? Is it necessary to get one? What would happen if you don't have one?

Thanks!!!

as far as I know no permit is required except for state parks. down state may be different so I would check if near the "city"
I am near Niagara falls and need no permits except state parks

Hi All,

My first detector will be arriving Wednesday night... I had no idea but it seems that NY requires a permit to metal detect?

Do all of you NY'ers (inlcluding Long Island) on this site have one? Has anyone been stopped and been questioned for this? Is it necessary to get one? What would happen if you don't have one?

Thanks!!!

My advice to you is to get with Terry Soloman or mama2twins, they both are from that area and I'm sure they would help you.

Hi All,

Thanks!!!

I was just discussing this with Terry Soloman. He knows more about this. I know for sure that need a permit for Jones Beach and NYC parks. Here are two links that offer some info:
http://www.fmdac.org/parks/parks.htm

http://nysparks.com/

Here you Go..

New York State Metal Detecting Permit Information

1. Palisades Interstate Park Commission - Permit Section

Bear Mountain, NY 10911-0427 $20.00 -- For: Harriman State Park 845-947-2444 Lakes: Sebago, Tiorati & Welch

2. Long Island State Park Region Beaches - Permit Office

PO Box 247, Babylon, NY 11702 $40.00 -- 631-669-1000 ext. 223

3. City of New York Parks & Recreation - Arsenal North, 1234 Fifth Ave. Room 213

New York, NY 10029 FREE - (212)360-2778 (MUST SEND IN COPY OF YOUR DRIVERS LICENCE)

4. Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation - Taconic Region

Staatsburg, NY 12580 $10 -- (845)889-4100 - For: Lake Taghkanic, Rudd Pond & Canopus Beach

5. NY State Offices Parks Recreation & Historic Preservation - Central Region

6105 East Seneca Turnpike, Jamesville NY 13078-9516 $10 -- 315-492-1756

I guess one benefit about living in the sticks part of New York is that we don't need a permit to detect (yet anyways).

Bear Mountain, NY 10911-0427 $20.00 -- For: Harriman State Park 845-947-2444 Lakes: Sebago, Tiorati & Welch

3. City of New York Parks & Recreation - Arsenal North, 1234 Fifth Ave. Room 213

New York, NY 10029 FREE - (212)360-2778 (MUST SEND IN COPY OF YOUR DRIVERS LICENCE)

Staatsburg, NY 12580 $10 -- (845)889-4100 - For: Lake Taghkanic, Rudd Pond & Canopus Beach

Great info. Thanks Terry!

Thanks Terry that was some great info!!!!

Question though... has anyone ever been asked if they have a permit?

Thanks Terry that was some great info!!!!

Question though... has anyone ever been asked if they have a permit?

I was excited about applying for mine the day they became available but i'm yet to be asked about it. I even had a parks dept. officer watching me detect on two different occasions but neither said a word to me.

Same here !

as far as I know no permit is required except for state parks. down state may be different so I would check if near the "city"
I am near Niagara falls and need no permits except state parks

State parks issue permits. Mine is for "beach use only" and covers all the parks in my region.
Good luck !
Marty

With goverment moneyies getting tighter expect it to get worse about the amount of permits required to do just about anything. With tree huggers/eviro-nuts I would'nt be surprised to have to pay carbon credits to breath soon. :laughing:

wonderer

Hinckley Reservoir Picnic Area Metal Detector Special Use Letter

:DOn July 4th 2013 I had used my MD on in the Day Use Hinckley Reservoir Picnic Area. I had no idea that you needed a permit for the area. The park Ranger had printed out a Metal Detector Special Use Letter (File #375a) from the New York State Department Of Environmental Conservation Recreation Operations Handbook (Division of Operations/Bureau of Recreation). I had signed it and the Ranger made me a copy and I was on my way.
The letter stated that detector may only be used from July 4, 2013 to 8/31/2013 and permissible hours of use are 9AM to 10AM & 6PM to 8PM. Even though stated I was to detect on beach only I had asked if I was able to use it around the area that my family was in. The Ranger said "Beach only unless your testing the detector (with a smile). So I did so but didn't carry my digging tool but had them located near me for the time being. He was a cool Ranger!!!:cool:

Great stuff Terry! I was going to post same info...cheers!

If you plan on hunting on State Park land then you need one. I get one every year but I have never been approached. I think it's worth it. Some parks are closed to detecting but as long as you have a permit you can always play dumb. The worst that would happen is you get tossed.

Suffolk County parks metal detecting is officially not allowed, but I know a few people that go anyway and they don't get bothered.

Nassau I think there are no regulations at all as far as I know. Could be wrong though it's been awhile.

I was excited about applying for mine the day they became available but i'm yet to be asked about it. I even had a parks dept. officer watching me detect on two different occasions but neither said a word to me.

Hey Rebel, what's been your experience with hunting NYC parks? I tried Prospect Park once but there was just too many re-grades, did not find any old stuff at all. Have you had success at more out of the way locations?

Back
Top Bottom