Attn: All ML Vanquish Owners...”High Iron-Bias Bug”

Not sure if I have any business chiming in here as I'm a complete newbie and not a tech geek at all, but I wonder if the iron bias is actually working as it should. How does a detector classify ferrous? Is it actually saying something is ferrous (containing large amounts of iron) or is it saying it is ferromagnetic. If the latter, nickel is ferromagnetic and your US nickels contain 25% nickel. I repeated your test with a US quarter and dime stacked and no problems. Here in Canada our clad is actually ferrous (nickel plated steel), but pre-2000, there was a lot of 99.9% nickel. I grabbed a nickel quarter to repeat the test with your US dime, and the quarter alone registers as ferrous in both high and low iron bias when in all metal mode. I can get mid tone blips if I'm not in all metal mode. If I stack your US dime on my Canadian 99.9% nickel quarter, I get mixed tones with ferrous VDIs with iron bias on high. When iron bias is set to low, I get 18 VDI one direction and ferrous the other.
At any rate, it seems like the vanquish classifies nickel as ferrous (likely because it is magnetic). When it sees the 25% nickel in your nickels, it has to use it's bias to make a decision in classifying it. On it's own, the 75% copper seems to override the nickel content and it comfortably leans towards non-ferrous, but once the target is more complex with the dime touching it (I think there is some nickel in your dimes too?) when in high iron bias it's leaning towards ferrous. When in low iron bias, it gives you the non-ferrous signal. To me, if you assume "ferrous" means ferromagnetic, the iron bias is working exactly as it is described. Yes, it would be better to have a fully adjustable iron bias like the Equinox, but I'm not of that socioeconomic class, so the high/low is good enough and we see it working here in your test. Different results on high and low.
Am I way off base here? Do other detectors give non-ferrous readings for nickel?

gets really old real fast when the 540 'falses" "high" tone on deep iron in hi iron bias.must be a software issue.get this fixed "fast" or suffer the consequences.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Many detectors, with or without an Iron Bias feature, can produce a 'high tone' on some problem iron debris, shallow to deep.

Most folks do not know the different effects on an EMF between a non-ferrous object and an identical size and shape ferrous object. Detection issues were far less of a problem from things like rusty washers r crown-type bottle caps in the earlier days of TR and TR-Disc. detectors, and especially many analog-based circuitry designs.

In this modern era of high-gain detectors operating in the VLF or lower LF range, using ground compensating circuitry and especially with modern digital-designed circuitry, we tend to have more problems than we used to.

We also see different terms used but interpreted differently from ne consumer to another. For example, what is your description of "Iron Falsing?"

Monte

PK&O: Not sure if I have any business chiming in here as I'm a complete newbie and not a tech geek at all, but I wonder if the iron bias is actually working as it should.--- Of course you should "chime in" because these forums are for learning. Personally, I feel the Vanquish 540 High and Low Iron Bias is working just as it is supposed to.

PK&O: How does a detector classify ferrous? Is it actually saying something is ferrous (containing large amounts of iron) or is it saying it is ferromagnetic. If the latter, nickel is ferromagnetic and your US nickels contain 25% nickel.--- Here's where some of the problem comes when trying to 'classify' ferrous and non-ferrous metal targets. Take a Non-Ferrous object and a Ferrous (magnetic type metal like iron, nickel, steel, etc., etc.) object of similar size and shape and test them on a detector's EMF (Electro-Magnetic Field) and you will note that they have different effects on the EMF. That's part of the issue with an Iron / Ferrous based target.

Another problem is that depending upon the size, shape and orientation to the EMF, Ferrous objects can respond with both a Low-Conductive/Iron or High-Conductive/Non-Iron response, so that also adds to the complexity of dealing with Iron.

We can add a 3rd contributing factor, and that is some problem Iron targets are just that because man has shaped them in a way to cause more issues. Two examples are a round rusty washer, and the most notable trash being the crimp-on Bottle Caps. We used to be able to easily reject / Discriminate most Bottle Caps with the early TR and TR-Disc. models, but as we "progressed" to more high-gain detectors with digital circuitry rather than analog, plus some other factors, we now have more challenges with Bottle Caps and some other ferrous-based metals.

PK&O: I repeated your test with a US quarter and dime stacked and no problems. Here in Canada our clad is actually ferrous (nickel plated steel), but pre-2000, there was a lot of 99.9% nickel. I grabbed a nickel quarter to repeat the test with your US dime, and the quarter alone registers as ferrous in both high and low iron bias when in all metal mode. I can get mid tone blips if I'm not in all metal mode. If I stack your US dime on my Canadian 99.9% nickel quarter, I get mixed tones with ferrous VDIs with iron bias on high. When iron bias is set to low, I get 18 VDI one direction and ferrous the other.--- 1st.. I'm sorry Canada and many other countries have gone the way of using Nickel or Steel for the primary metal in their coinage. Glad to be in the USA.

2nd.. The "one direction" responses or non-responses are mainly due to the use of Double-D search coil windings and whether the Tx or Rx side is the first to encounter the target.

3rd.. I can use my V-540 on High Iron Bias and get a US 5¢/Nickel coin with a good audio and proper 12 or 13 VDI. But in a mixed-metal environment, such as the US 10¢ stacked on top of the Nickel, High Iron Bias will naturally tend to favor calling the ferrous Nickel metal a Low-Tone Iron target with a -4 or -5 VDI. Due to the High Iron Bias behavior, it is doing what it was designed to do. When I am Relic Hunting in a lot of very dense Iron debris, I use the V-540 on Low Iron Bias. Why? To help unmask potentially good targets that are close to the masking ferrous trash.

PK&O: At any rate, it seems like the vanquish classifies nickel as ferrous (likely because it is magnetic). When it sees the 25% nickel in your nickels, it has to use it's bias to make a decision in classifying it. On it's own, the 75% copper seems to override the nickel content and it comfortably leans towards non-ferrous, but once the target is more complex with the dime touching it (I think there is some nickel in your dimes too?) when in high iron bias it's leaning towards ferrous.--- Our modern/current US Dimes and Quarters are made up of 91.66% Copper and 8.33% Nickel as an outer coating. Individually, the different coins will easily produce a 'proper' VDI read-out, but when stacked or positioned too closely, you used the proper word: 'complex' when considering their metal make-up and the detector's designed method-of-operation.

PK&O: When in low iron bias, it gives you the non-ferrous signal. To me, if you assume "ferrous" means ferromagnetic, the iron bias is working exactly as it is described.--- Yes, the Vanquish Iron Bias is working correctly.

PK&O: Yes, it would be better to have a fully adjustable iron bias like the Equinox, but I'm not of that socioeconomic class, so the high/low is good enough and we see it working here in your test. Different results on high and low.--- I like the V-540 because it was designed to be 'simple' to get into operation and still have a couple of adjustment options, especially the High or Low Iron Bias The Equinox 800 has more Iron Bias adjustments than the two on the V-540, but do most people really know why they are adjusting them as they do and what the trade-offs are of being a little lower, in-the-middle or a little higher?

PK&O: Am I way off base here? Do other detectors give non-ferrous readings for nickel?For the US Nickel coin that is 75% Copper / 25% Nickel? No, not really, but that's because most other detectors operate on a single frequency. The EQ-800 can select a single frequency, but the Vanquish can't. However, Iron Bias is only a function when operating in Multi-IQ. It isn't adjustable in the single frequencies.

Also, folks need to read the EQ-800 manual to better understand Iron Bias. It is not Discrimination, and if someone wants to reject more Iron-based targets, they can simply increase the lower-end Disc. level.

Monte

How does a detector classify ferrous? Is it actually saying something is ferrous (containing large amounts of iron) or is it saying it is ferromagnetic. If the latter, nickel is ferromagnetic and your US nickels contain 25% nickel. I repeated your test with a US quarter and dime stacked and no problems. Here in Canada our clad is actually ferrous (nickel plated steel), but pre-2000, there was a lot of 99.9% nickel. Different results on high and low.
Am I way off base here? Do other detectors give non-ferrous readings for nickel?

Thank you for doing iron bias tests on your machine.

You make some valid points in your discussion. Have you tried testing the iron bias setting with aluminum instead of nickel? Aluminum is not ferro-magnetic, yet when I placed a US dime (or silver dime) on top of an aluminum square tab, I receive an iron ID from that combination. This is in the high iron bias (default) setting of the Vanquish.

Most every piece of software updatable electronics equipment usually gets one or numerous updates from its initial release...from cellular phones to our smart TVs...the metal detector is no different...Software Updates are provided by a vendor to provide either new features or to correct bugs/anomalies. The Vanquish is software updatable, and so is the Equinox, which recently received a software update to improve its iron bias feature and a new backlight mod to the NOX 600.

So, is the current high iron bias setting doing what it’s supposed to do in the current version of the Vanquish machines? I would say “yes” it is, because the same results of stacked non-ferrous objects on an Equinox (only in the Max iron bias setting of 9) or a Vanquish (high bias) create the same results, and Minelab didn’t decide to change the way the max (9) iron bias setting on the Equinox functions in their recent software update. One proposed solution (software update) I wouldn’t mind Minelab making on the Vanquish would be to change the high iron bias setting to a notch or two below the max. This would still give you a high degree of iron bias on the Vanquish, but with it toned down a little, the machine wouldn’t give iron readings on common US coinage (clad/silver dime on a US nickel or war nickel), or a dime on an aluminum square tab, etc...

Many detectors, with or without an Iron Bias feature, can produce a 'high tone' on some problem iron debris, shallow to deep.

Most folks do not know the different effects on an EMF between a non-ferrous object and an identical size and shape ferrous object. Detection issues were far less of a problem from things like rusty washers r crown-type bottle caps in the earlier days of TR and TR-Disc. detectors, and especially many analog-based circuitry designs.

In this modern era of high-gain detectors operating in the VLF or lower LF range, using ground compensating circuitry and especially with modern digital-designed circuitry, we tend to have more problems than we used to.

We also see different terms used but interpreted differently from ne consumer to another. For example, what is your description of "Iron Falsing?"

Monte

seeing big iron at depth is no fun! hope they can address this! it can make ya grow old in the field! digging down 9" in a 'cooked" park and discovering iron is a hobby buster! maybe they can do something in software! works for me! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Thank you for doing iron bias tests on your machine.

You make some valid points in your discussion. Have you tried testing the iron bias setting with aluminum instead of nickel? Aluminum is not ferro-magnetic, yet when I placed a US dime (or silver dime) on top of an aluminum square tab, I receive an iron ID from that combination. This is in the high iron bias (default) setting of the Vanquish.
Right. I forgot about that part of the test. Just tried it and I do get an iron signal with a dime on a tab. Only in all metal mode. When iron is discriminated out, I get a reading of 16 in all directions so I guess in that scenario, you would still get your good signal, but if you are using all metal to double check a target before digging (a trick I have learned as I have dug a lot of good sounding nails in the trashy spots I hunt) you might pass it up. The tab itself only gets an ID of 13 which seems low for aluminum so I used a screw cap from a wine bottle that has much higher ids and no problems with the screw cap and dime together. Also, like a previous poster had mentioned, if I lift the coil about 6" in both the nickel and dime and the tab and dime tests, I don't get the iron signals just the good ones.
So a question I have is how affected by this setting are we in the field? I don't know why the aluminum test comes out the way it does and it really seems it shouldn't, but if the solution is to lower the high iron bias setting like you suggest, I wonder if we would end up digging a whole lot more nails. Like J.T., I get a lot of good sounding simple nails and would like to see them more accurately identified as ferrous. I'm still in the early learning stages so I'm digging pretty much every non-ferrous signal and I have nearly a 5 gallon pail full of nails or other ferrous junk.

may have a long wait! me thinks ya gotta find a way around the iron!
perhaps the answer lies in "how" each target hits at depth!..pay very close attention,
and make sure ya do a 360 around the target trying to get 'any" indicator of iron!
may just save ya back and knees! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Not much into the tests and stuff, but I've ran the vanquish a good bit. And it had no problems producing great finds at each site.
I've dug iron with every machine I've owned,which is about everything made I've owned at least once.. I can make iron sound great on any machine if I work the signal long enough.lol..There are tell tales but we all get fooled sometimes and so do the machines. No big deal,it's just part of the hobbie. The vanquish is a solid performing machine

seeing big iron at depth is no fun! hope they can address this! it can make ya grow old in the field! digging down 9" in a 'cooked" park and discovering iron is a hobby buster! maybe they can do something in software! works for me! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

gets really old real fast when the 540 'falses" "high" tone on deep iron in hi iron bias.must be a software issue.get this fixed "fast" or suffer the consequences.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Two different issues here. The high iron bias setting was supposed to help with shallow iron based crown bottle caps which was a major complaint from early Equinox users. Minelab updated the iron bias settings on the Equinox to deal with that issue AFTER developing the High/Low iron bias settings on the Vanquish. That high setting is only supposed to help on shallower iron based targets.

I have used all three models of the Vanquish and still own the 340 and 440. I don't expect those models to be great in iron trash. I rarely dig crown bottle caps or other shallow iron however so the high iron bias setting works well for those which for the casual beach or turf hunter digging mostly shallow targets is probably a big plus.

JT, iron "falsing" on simultaneous multi frequency detectors is just a fact of life. There is no way for different simultaneous multiple frequencies to analyze a rusty iron target and come up with the same VDI unless you are using a DFX, VX3 or V3i in correlate mode. Even then it is not foolproof, which is why the Etrac and other FBS detectors have separate iron and non-ferrous VDI readouts. Expecting a $150 to $450 Vanquish to keep you from digging deep iron is asking a lot of a budget detector. However, even with the 340 setup in Jewelry mode which has just the iron range rejected, I get enough audio information over deeper iron targets to avoid digging too much deep iron. I have spent a lot of time experimenting in the field and if there is the slightest bit of distorted sound within any of the tones produced on deep targets with consistently jumpy numbers and tones I just go into all metals accepted mode (for 540s, hit the horseshoe button) and interrogate the target even more. Those so called "falsing" tones are just iron tells for me and not a design flaw.

The other issue being discussed here is something I complained about after first using the 340 and 440 which is: legitimate closely spaced shallow coin spills or closely spaced non-ferrous targets can be discriminated out in any mode except all metals accepted. Even with the Equinox, close to the surface or surface coin spills can produce some very weird audio responses which in the case of the Equinox is also a tell. With the Vanquish detecting with high iron bias and iron rejected, I have walked right over shallow coin spills and co-located targets thinking they were just shallow iron. Even using the horseshoe button did not help me identify those coin spills as shown in the testing here by others. This was during early field testing using a 440 and a Nox 600 on the exact same ground in sucession. That is NOT okay and needs to be addressed like many have said during this thread.

Jeff

Last edited:
jmaclen: said:
Two different issues here. The high iron bias setting was supposed to help with shallow iron based crown bottle caps which was a major complaint from early Equinox users. Minelab updated the iron bias settings on the Equinox to deal with that issue AFTER developing the High/Low iron bias settings on the Vanquish. That high setting is only supposed to help on shallower iron based targets.

I have used all three models of the Vanquish and still own the 340 and 440. I don't expect those models to be great in iron trash. I rarely dig crown bottle caps or other shallow iron however so the high iron bias setting works well for those which for the casual beach or turf hunter digging mostly shallow targets is probably a big plus.
And 'by design' the High Iron Bias did a pretty good job of that, too. I've used my Vanquish 540 w/5X8DD in a couple of old-use picnic spots where others are very bothered by the amount of bottle caps.

Now, we know that most of the time, coins, bottle caps, ring-pull tabs and other lost of discarded stuff is going to be located relatively shallow, like the upper 3" to 4". Personally, I've applied the search techniques I started using back about 1971 and I can use almost any make or model detector and 'audibly classify' most bottle caps rather quickly and just ignore recovering them. With a couple of my detectors I also have some designed-in help to alert me that those pesky bottle caps are there w/o producing a really good non-ferrous target response. The V-540 is one of them using High Iron Bias.

The V-540 and a High Iron Bias setting is also quite useful when hunting places with rusty tin, frequently producing a desired Low-Tone audio response and visual display read-out. For many Hobbyists, not hearing as much problem trash is desired and hunting this way helps take out some of the audio annoyance they might get in densely littered locations with a lot of rusty tin or crown-type bottle caps. All of it all the time? No. But it will be helpful in handling a lot of it, and I find that enjoyable and useful for a lot of hunts I do.

But that's helpful for the newcomer or novice detecting Hobbyist. The more Avid Detectorist, who has more in-the-field experience and understands what it is we are talking about here, has the option of selecting Low Iron Bias on the V-540. And, if they are an experienced, they should appreciate the differences in performance, both audibly and visually, if they select Low Iron Bias and are dealing with Iron debris.

JT, iron "falsing" on simultaneous multi frequency detectors is just a fact of life. There is no way for different simultaneous multiple frequencies to analyze a rusty iron target and come up with the same VDI unless you are using a DFX, VX3 or V3i in correlate mode. Even then it is not foolproof, which is why the Etrac and other FBS detectors have separate iron and non-ferrous VDI readouts.
Quite correct, again, Jeff. Every make and model detector, by different manufacturers, will have their own sets of strengths and weaknesses, and regardless of what unit we select, there is no such thing as a 'perfect' detector. The wise decision anyone can make is consider each make and model that interests them for various in-the-field applications they plan to take on.... then select the model or models, that they feel will best fit their needs. If acquiring more than one detector, try to make the second or additional detectors be a 'complement' to the primary-use detector they choose.

But in selecting a detector or two, don't fall into the misbelief that ALL Simultaneous Multi-Frequency models work the same, or that they can all easily out-perform a good quality single-frequency or selectable-frequency detector. SMF detectors have their set of strengths, and that's fine and good to know. However, all the SMF detector models also have some weaknesses, and therefore do not always out-perform non-SMF detectors.

Expecting a $150 to $450 Vanquish to keep you from digging deep iron is asking a lot of a budget detector. However, even with the 340 setup in Jewelry mode which has just the iron range rejected, I get enough audio information over deeper iron targets to avoid digging too much deep iron. I have spent a lot of time experimenting in the field and if there is the slightest bit of distorted sound within any of the tones produced on deep targets with consistently jumpy numbers and tones I just go into all metals accepted mode (for 540s, hit the horseshoe button) and interrogate the target even more. Those so called "falsing" tones are just iron tells for me and not a design flaw.
All three Vanquish models offer a lot for their price, and what some call 'false' signal from ferrous junk are often easily learned to identify audibly. And the Vanquish models are not the only ones affected, either.

The other issue being discussed here is something I complained about after first using the 340 and 440 which is: legitimate closely spaced shallow coin spills or closely spaced non-ferrous targets can be discriminated out in any mode except all metals accepted. Even with the Equinox, close to the surface or surface coin spills can produce some very weird audio responses which in the case of the Equinox is also a tell. With the Vanquish detecting with high iron bias and iron rejected, I have walked right over shallow coin spills and co-located targets thinking they were just shallow iron. Even using the horseshoe button did not help me identify those coin spills as shown in the testing here by others. This was during early field testing using a 440 and a Nox 600 on the exact same ground in sucession. That is NOT okay and needs to be addressed like many have said during this thread.

Jeff
I have encountered a few 'coin spills' and most of the coins are relatively shallow. Most were a mix of Zinc and/or Copper Cents, combined with one or more Clad Dimes or Clad Quarters. The 'spills' contained anywhere from 3 coins to 9 coins, and all coins were close with some touching, and all within a 4" to 6" diameter circle.

In all but three cases, the 'spills' produced a High-Tone audio response. What were the other three cases? They made a Low-Tone / Mid-Tone break-up audio on one spill, and a Low Tone audio on the other two. The difference was that those 'spills' also contained 1 to 3 common US Nickel coins, and hunting with a High Iron Bias, that tainted the response and dropped it down into the Low-Tone range. With a Nickel or all of them removed, the audio response was a nice-and-proper High-Tone report.

Trashfinder: said:
Sell it and get a 600 or 800 you will be much happier:)
I bought an EQ-800 and I was NOT much happier. I have mainly Hunted very iron contaminated ghost towns and similar sites and I have Relic Hunting models that easily out-perform the Equinox. I also do typical urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting and while the EQ-800 is good, I own and use models that can match or better the results.

As for my Vanquish 540, I enjoy it over the EQ-800 having used them both, side-by-side in some on-site comparisons. The Equinox is a good detector, but everyone doesn't need one.

Monte

I bought an EQ-800 and I was NOT much happier. I have mainly Hunted very iron contaminated ghost towns and similar sites and I have Relic Hunting models that easily out-perform the Equinox. I also do typical urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting and while the EQ-800 is good, I own and use models that can match or better the results.

As for my Vanquish 540, I enjoy it over the EQ-800 having used them both, side-by-side in some on-site comparisons. The Equinox is a good detector, but everyone doesn't need one.

Monte

As for side by side i did as well, my findings were the 540 iron bias is not functioning like the NOX 800's. Also the target ID's were way off, for example i was getting wheat pennies in the 16 17 range which should have been pulltabs. Silver dimes were like 22,,, basically all the ID's were way off and even if this is correct for the 540 ( personally i do not think this to be true) i did not want to relearn an already tight ID range.

Second your sites and your hunting heavily involve 2d plane systems where concentric coils are much better choices and hence why i understand your choice of machines and why u choose them. I have seen your tests and while interesting and noteworthy they do not in any way reflect a lot of sites others like me hunt where the trash is in a 3d model deposited over the years instead of a western ghost town where the debris and town buildings are all closely deposited in the near the same plane.

I have seen the machines you use and i also have owned most of them and they will not in any way outperform the Nox 800 in my sites. I also hunt in heavily mineralized soil and to get the older coins in the 10 to 14 inch range the machines you use just will not get the job done. The one coin the Impact found was around 8 inches. But most of the coins are 10 plus.

Current site hunting ,, old town established in the 1800's abandoned in the early 1900's.

Nox 800 over 40 old coins
Nox 600 over 25 old coins
CTX =0
Etrac =0
Nokta impact =1
Nokta anfibio =0
F75 =0
V3i =0
Mojave =0
At max =0
T2+=0
Makro multi kruzer =0
Deus =0

Planning on taking Mx7 soon , but just based on my test garden i do not think i will get the depth i need to reach the old coins but time will tell. Interesting note on this site, the NOX's were run later as they had not come out yet when i started hunting this site. I almost did not go there with the 800 and 600 as i figured it was a total waste of time given the record i had with all the other machines. I have only been hunting since 79 so i do not have as much experience as you, but i have been hunting long enough.

Could i have had a broken or bad 540? Possibly, but still for the money difference i still stand by my comment that the 600 or 800 at used prices is a much better machine. Although i have seen several 540's recently as low as 200 dollars, and this in itself might be telling.

As for iron bias i am running my the Nox on 0, and i can honestly say getting fooled on iron would run less than 5 percent of the time. Very happy with my percentage of iron to good target recoveries.

As for side by side i did as well, my findings were the 540 iron bias is not functioning like the NOX 800's. Also the target ID's were way off, for example i was getting wheat pennies in the 16 17 range which should have been pulltabs. Silver dimes were like 22,,, basically all the ID's were way off and even if this is correct for the 540 ( personally i do not think this to be true) i did not want to relearn an already tight ID range.

Second your sites and your hunting heavily involve 2d plane systems where concentric coils are much better choices and hence why i understand your choice of machines and why u choose them. I have seen your tests and while interesting and noteworthy they do not in any way reflect a lot of sites others like me hunt where the trash is in a 3d model deposited over the years instead of a western ghost town where the debris and town buildings are all closely deposited in the near the same plane.

I have seen the machines you use and i also have owned most of them and they will not in any way outperform the Nox 800 in my sites. I also hunt in heavily mineralized soil and to get the older coins in the 10 to 14 inch range the machines you use just will not get the job done. The one coin the Impact found was around 8 inches. But most of the coins are 10 plus.

Current site hunting ,, old town established in the 1800's abandoned in the early 1900's.

Nox 800 over 40 old coins
Nox 600 over 25 old coins
CTX =0
Etrac =0
Nokta impact =1
Nokta anfibio =0
F75 =0
V3i =0
Mojave =0
At max =0
T2+=0
Makro multi kruzer =0
Deus =0

Planning on taking Mx7 soon , but just based on my test garden i do not think i will get the depth i need to reach the old coins but time will tell. Interesting note on this site, the NOX's were run later as they had not come out yet when i started hunting this site. I almost did not go there with the 800 and 600 as i figured it was a total waste of time given the record i had with all the other machines. I have only been hunting since 79 so i do not have as much experience as you, but i have been hunting long enough.

Could i have had a broken or bad 540? Possibly, but still for the money difference i still stand by my comment that the 600 or 800 at used prices is a much better machine. Although i have seen several 540's recently as low as 200 dollars, and this in itself might be telling.

As for iron bias i am running my the Nox on 0, and i can honestly say getting fooled on iron would run less than 5 percent of the time. Very happy with my percentage of iron to good target recoveries.

What version software do you run in your Eq 800?

And 'by design' the High Iron Bias did a pretty good job of that, too. I've used my Vanquish 540 w/5X8DD in a couple of old-use picnic spots where others are very bothered by the amount of bottle caps.

Now, we know that most of the time, coins, bottle caps, ring-pull tabs and other lost of discarded stuff is going to be located relatively shallow, like the upper 3" to 4". Personally, I've applied the search techniques I started using back about 1971 and I can use almost any make or model detector and 'audibly classify' most bottle caps rather quickly and just ignore recovering them. With a couple of my detectors I also have some designed-in help to alert me that those pesky bottle caps are there w/o producing a really good non-ferrous target response. The V-540 is one of them using High Iron Bias.

The V-540 and a High Iron Bias setting is also quite useful when hunting places with rusty tin, frequently producing a desired Low-Tone audio response and visual display read-out. For many Hobbyists, not hearing as much problem trash is desired and hunting this way helps take out some of the audio annoyance they might get in densely littered locations with a lot of rusty tin or crown-type bottle caps. All of it all the time? No. But it will be helpful in handling a lot of it, and I find that enjoyable and useful for a lot of hunts I do.

But that's helpful for the newcomer or novice detecting Hobbyist. The more Avid Detectorist, who has more in-the-field experience and understands what it is we are talking about here, has the option of selecting Low Iron Bias on the V-540. And, if they are an experienced, they should appreciate the differences in performance, both audibly and visually, if they select Low Iron Bias and are dealing with Iron debris.

Quite correct, again, Jeff. Every make and model detector, by different manufacturers, will have their own sets of strengths and weaknesses, and regardless of what unit we select, there is no such thing as a 'perfect' detector. The wise decision anyone can make is consider each make and model that interests them for various in-the-field applications they plan to take on.... then select the model or models, that they feel will best fit their needs. If acquiring more than one detector, try to make the second or additional detectors be a 'complement' to the primary-use detector they choose.

But in selecting a detector or two, don't fall into the misbelief that ALL Simultaneous Multi-Frequency models work the same, or that they can all easily out-perform a good quality single-frequency or selectable-frequency detector. SMF detectors have their set of strengths, and that's fine and good to know. However, all the SMF detector models also have some weaknesses, and therefore do not always out-perform non-SMF detectors.

All three Vanquish models offer a lot for their price, and what some call 'false' signal from ferrous junk are often easily learned to identify audibly. And the Vanquish models are not the only ones affected, either.

I have encountered a few 'coin spills' and most of the coins are relatively shallow. Most were a mix of Zinc and/or Copper Cents, combined with one or more Clad Dimes or Clad Quarters. The 'spills' contained anywhere from 3 coins to 9 coins, and all coins were close with some touching, and all within a 4" to 6" diameter circle.

In all but three cases, the 'spills' produced a High-Tone audio response. What were the other three cases? They made a Low-Tone / Mid-Tone break-up audio on one spill, and a Low Tone audio on the other two. The difference was that those 'spills' also contained 1 to 3 common US Nickel coins, and hunting with a High Iron Bias, that tainted the response and dropped it down into the Low-Tone range. With a Nickel or all of them removed, the audio response was a nice-and-proper High-Tone report.

Monte

What version software do you run in your Eq 800?

I was running 1.7.5 and i hope i did not mess up because i downloaded the new one today. I have no idea if you can go backwards , crossing fingers that this update does not mess up what i had been able to do.

I totally agree with Trashfinder on the merits of the Equinox. It does things other detectors can't. It does them not just occasionally, but enough to be glaringly obvious. In high trash conditions ferrous or nonferrous it's the superior detector for me. I run my iron bias on zero even in F2. I also run it with the horseshoe button engaged 100% of the time. I say if you know your machine (Any machine) well you should not be digging much iron. If you expect to never ever be fooled by iron at all then you might just have to cherry pick obvious solid signals.

If i was digging the same scenario as a ghost town as Monte, i might not be that impressed with its performance on surface, or near surface finds in iron. Similarly i would say it's not the best for iron laden plough or rolled fields, there's loads of low cost fast detectors with small coils for that job.
But the Nox defo will find targets other detectors have missed and can't see, 2yrs on it's still pulling me out quality targets on ground that stopped producing with other detectors.

440 after update. Bias better?

Hi everyone. DI'd the 1.1 update tone down the high bias a little better? Have you tested since Monte?

Back
Top Bottom