Detector on Motorcycle?

So my first thought was to use some PVC pipe 3-4 feet long attached down by the lower portion of the rear shock and up by the rack behind the seat using some stainless hose clamps. Use some of that double sided Velcro like you use to control wires, it can be had in any length and width to attach your MD to the PVC. That is probably what I will do on my DR-650.

And then I started thinking from an eclectic view, why don't you hit ebay and get you one of those hard guitar cases, toss your MDstick in there, pinpointer, goodiebag, digger tool, rain gear, lion tamer, water bottle, couple sandwiches, bottle of wine, some good cheese, and heck you could be set and look cool doing it.

You would look just like this, well except the guitar case.

;)

Attachments

• Blonde-SHAKIRA-Wallpaper-2012-SINGER-shorts-socks-motorcycle-guitar.jpg
    Blonde-SHAKIRA-Wallpaper-2012-SINGER-shorts-socks-motorcycle-guitar.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 179
Bit late to this party, but one of those ultra-cheapo Harbor Freight 9 Function Metal Detectors breaks down nicely into its own box, which measures just 24" x 7.5" x 5". That certainly wouldn't be much of a challenge to bungee down over a passenger seat or luggage rack or atop a pannier, and it assembles in just minutes. I'm sure many other (and frankly better) MDs must be able to similarly break down just as compactly.

Yes, I DO have a far nicer Fisher 1280X fully-submersible "Aquanaut" rig. I really just got that "Harbor Fright" one one day on sale primarily so my kid could join me and get his own MD thing on with me at the beach, where I do most of my detecting. Thing is though, from my own head-to-head testing I have to admit that the $40-something Harbor Freight rig works pretty damned well. Sure, it's maybe not as "precise" as the $600 Fisher--I guess that's to be expected. But it does do the job. Given its low low price, it strikes me as just the unit to be tossing into one's trunk or hauling along on a motorcycle for impromptu hunting forays. And if it flew off your bike and smashed into a million little chunklets, or was seized by some over-eager John Law, would you really lose much sleep over it?

I seen a review on the Hover Boys by Kurt and Bill on the Minelab go find 60 detectors that fold down with the click of a button to under 22 inches and fit in their litlle bag, strap right to the back of your bike real easy. They make several models of that detector, might be a dandy for hiking, backpacking, cycling, 4 wheeling, or back up/share machine. Might check that out.

I'd recommend trading the AT Pro in for an XP Deus. It would be much easier to transport and you'd be really happy hunting with it. I have both. No comparison between the two.

Great Old Post and excellent Wintertime Chatter! I bet we will be seeing a lot more use of E-Bikes in our Sport real soon....moreso than Motorcycles even!...For the ROI potential and sneaky quietness if nothing else....

This gentleman is in my metal detecting group and carries his detector on his back. :grin:

Attachments

• Fotor_154014482383019.jpg
    Fotor_154014482383019.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 96
Quick sketch to help the imagination. Mount a low sided box-cushioned bottom on the passenger foot peg (opposite exhaust pipe side) to contain the coil. Attach a support system for the detector’s shaft to the rack and/or seat frame. I would try a slit PVC pipe first. Never tried any of this...just thinking out loud.

Attachments

• 58AD776C-4A51-44DC-8803-17DAA36B5557.jpg
    58AD776C-4A51-44DC-8803-17DAA36B5557.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 91
Indeed! Judging by its reviews, that collapsible Minelab GO-FIND 60 Metal Detector for just about $200 might be a fine choice for "compact detecting" without the compromises inherent in the ultra-cheapo "Harbor Fright" unit. Then again, the Minelab's only 2 inches shorter collapsed than the $40 Harbor Freight one. By the way, HF's little Handheld Metal Detector isn't an entirely woeful pinpointing device, often on sale for about $12. I use mine all the time when the pit's getting "deep and narrow."

Anyhow, in case you want a 20% Off or other coupons for Harbor Freight to maybe give their "El Cheapo" a whirl, you'll always find them here. Right now (until the end of October 2018) their REALLY bare-boned almost "sub-basic" 6-Function model's on sale for Inside Track Members for just $29.99, and it appears that it may well collapse even smaller than the 9-Function one, but I've no experience with that particular model. YouTube may be your friend there. As for the fancier 9-Function model, Mike at Wildcat Creek can tell you all about it.

And by way of a disclaimer: I have no connection whatsoever to Harbor Freight, nor do I care overmuch how you spend your money. Just trying to help out buddies I ain't met yet.

Last edited:
I never tried hauling anything on my road bikes but strapping anything to my dirt bikes, the vibration was terrible. It would shake a detector to pieces.

We see guys here in Hawaii with surfboards hanging on their mopeds. If they can transports a surf board it should be no problem hauling a MD machine.

When i retire next year I plan on doing the same on a bike with electric motor.

Attachments

• NC_Moped_Lowrider_front.jpeg
    NC_Moped_Lowrider_front.jpeg
    10.1 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom