strange small round red brick

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I was metal detecting in a small creek down stream from a mill and old house. Found this small round red rock that looked out of place. I threw it up on the side of the bank. Later that night I woke up and it dawned on me what it was. It was a brick that got caught in a bedrock pot hole and wore it self down to the round size that I found it.

I went back a week later to find this item. It took me about three trips up and down the creek area since I knew about where it was located. But since the day I threw it on the bank, it rain real hard one night. Luck had it that I found it on the third pass about 100 yards down stream.

I had found round rocks like that back in my gold hunting days in north GA looking for bedrock pot holes for gold. Never found any but heard of a Canadian who found a huge pot hole and pulled out enough gold to cover a small bed. He left back for Canada the next day. I heard that story from a a retired state geologist who actually saw the gold on the bed.

anyway all I found in bedrock pot holes were almost perfectly round rocks. So this I think is a brick that got trapped in a bedrock pothole in that creek.

Anyone agree with my guess on this somewhat unique find? Or have a better guess? has brick like texture and feel and weight.

Attachments

• roundbrick.jpg
    roundbrick.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 267
I didn't find it in a bedrock pot hole just in the creek. But when I was gold hunting in north ga in the 80's, finding a virgin pot hole with gold was the holy grail since when the first person to find a pot hole, they cleaned it out.

Neat story. Not sure what it could be. It does remind me of a worn down, or not fully developed 'Oklahoma Rose Rock'. If you google that term you will see some nice red examples.

Back
Top Bottom