Good Loupe?

LootLooker

What would you guys recommend for a good loupe? Mainly for reading hallmarks on jewelry. Not looking to spend too much but I also want good quality if that's possible!

My buddy is a Jeweler and he told me to just get a cheap one. Not much difference for stuff and if I had worries about anything I will take it to him to look at.

I will probably stay away from the real cheap ones...and there is a Zeiss one here for $99

Sheeezze...a $99 loupe?? For that kind of money you should be able to tell it to go take a look and report back to you!

Many years ago I picked up a loupe at (of all places) a computer show at the now-deceased cherry hill racetrack for $2.

It was 10x, had a 10mm objective (tad less than 1/2") and was mounted in a thin, hard, black plastic shell that resembled bakelight (most of you young whippersnappers probably never even heard of bakelight :lol:) that was kind of cone-shaped with curved sides. It had 3 glass lenses that gave a beautifully flat field.

I had that thing for over 20 years before my ex stepped on it one day and the black housing shattered.

I have 2 other loupes now that are all fancy metal that fold out. The one is about an 8mm objective 10x, and the other is 12mm 30x, and they both SUCK compared to my "little black eyeball" as I used to call it.

I really miss that thing and I'd love to find another one.

ADD:
I just looked at Digger's link and found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bausch-Lomb-W...HQ/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1320145279&sr=8-21

This looks very similar to my "little black eyeball", except the objective on mine was a little smaller. But it was a joy to use!

Of all places I found a set of about 6 of them from 2X to 10X at Harbor Freight. I usually do not think much of HF stuff but I think this is one their rare values. I am sure that it is not something a jeweler would use but it is great for reading hallmarks, dates and checking details on coins. I don't remember exactly what I paid for them but it was less than $5.

I have the same one that Ryan has. Friend is a coin dealer/metal detector and he sold wife a 3pack of diff. magnifications for 10bucks.

Ebay is the way to go. The cheap ones work just fine. I have a 30x with a light that is great and it cost a whopping $3.58 including shipping. I have several around the house, car and office.

I guess I can try a cheap one and if it's not good enough I won't be out too much money.

10 or 20 X is PLENTY. Anything higher and you will have a hard time seeing hallmarks. They will be too big...........

Good points about the magnifications. Sometimes on a really bad coin, I can make out the date or markings better with my eye, because any magnification above 5x zooms me in too much to make out the vague patterns that are all that is left of markings. It is like my brain needs a larger sample of the object to see it. . . Like standing in the middle of covered/buried up Mayan ruins, and not noticing them all around. Then looking from a tower, hill, plane, or google maps satellite and seeing the layout of bumps and indentations as a big picture.

I decided I am going for this one.

loupe.jpg

BelOMO 10x Triplet Loupe Folding Magnifier

http://www.amazon.com/BelOMO-Triple...2NBS9X9M7BHHZ&s=generic&qid=1320506440&sr=1-1

Not cheap at all, as a matter of fact they keep raising their prices, but it is a high quality unit that has true 3 lens optical glass, so it should last me and work well till I lose it.

Luckily, I do surveys online and have built up enough points to have enough credits to buy this thing with an Amazon cash card.

Won't cost me a dime.

I bought a loupe from Books A Million, somewhere between $10-$15 and I think it's a 16x.

A couple weeks ago I stopped in a hobby store on the way home from the beach and picked up a Celestron digital microscope for $80 and I've been having fun with that.

Back
Top Bottom