Metal Detector Headphones

beephead

Elite Member
I've about read myself to death reading everything I could about metal detectors for the last couple of weeks. I ended up deciding on a Tesoro Compadre to start out with. I got it today and I'm really pleased with everything so far.

The problem that I'm having is that I don't have a clear understanding about headphones for metal detectors. It just chaps my butt that the suppliers are not clearer about which headphones go with which detectors. It's a real bummer when suppliers throw in a set of headphones without a volume control to go with a metal detector that doesn't have a volume control.

That's seems lowdown sorry to me.:mad:

I wanted some fairly durable lightweight headphones with a volume control to go with my Compadre, so I ordered separately a set of Garrett ClearSound headphones. It has a 1/4" jack plug and so does my Compadre. Should work. Noway, it only gets sound out of one earphone.

Are Garrett detectors stereo or mono?:?:

Are Tesoro detectors stereo or mono?:?:

I need a lesson in headphones.:)

BTW, a big thanks to those posters who convinced me to purchase a Compadre. All their posts about them were very helpful.

Most of the higher end phones have a switch to adjust it to your detector and all good detector phones have volume control its essential. The only problem is most high end phones are not made to be lightweight phones but more of a stereo phone that covers the entire ear to block out external sound and let you concentrate more on the deeper lower signals and with many detectors having many tones it helps you to hear the difference which is hard to do with a lot of the lower end phones. Unless you are dead set on lightweight phones I would look into some Gray Ghost which are my favorite, or some of the other top brands like Killer Bee's, Sunrays, etc. Paying 80-90 bucks may seem like a lot but the cheap ones at 30 bucks break within a few months and have to be replaced while the Gray Ghost will last forever.

You can use ANY headphone. I use a cheap pair with a 1/4 plug adapter. make sure the adapter is stereo.

You can use ANY headphone. I use a cheap pair with a 1/4 plug adapter. make sure the adapter is stereo.

How come my Garrett ClearSound (metal detecter) headphones only get sound out of one earpiece when plugged into my Tesoro Compadre metal detector?

Do you hear in stereo while using a metal detector?:?:

Last edited:
I just bought some Gray Ghost headphones and glad I did. I was using Treasure Wise headphones before and its night and day difference in my opinion in quality and comfort!

I have Garrett ClearSound Headphones and use it with a Compadre as well and I get excellent sound out of both sides. Try plugging your headphones into a stereo (if possible) and see if you have sound out of both sides with it.

I have never had a issue with either the Garrett ClearSound Headphones or the Compadre.

I have Garrett ClearSound Headphones and use it with a Compadre as well and I get excellent sound out of both sides. Try plugging your headphones into a stereo (if possible) and see if you have sound out of both sides with it.

I have never had a issue with either the Garrett ClearSound Headphones or the Compadre.

Thank you so much for that info!

I had already given them the stereo test, but I didn't know what sound coming out of one ear piece meant. I wasn't sure if the headphones were mono or stereo. I still don't have a grasp on why there's stereo headphones for a device that's mono.

I'm returning my headphones for a refund.

Thank you so much for that info!

I had already given them the stereo test, but I didn't know what sound coming out of one ear piece meant. I wasn't sure if the headphones were mono or stereo. I still don't have a grasp on why there's stereo headphones for a device that's mono.

I'm returning my headphones for a refund.

If you are hearing stereo while plugged into a a hifi (stereo) device but not in your detector (which according to thatguy is using the same set up and has stereo) try making sure you're plugged in completely. Try a different set of headphones or even earbuds with an adapter. If you're still only getting sound through one side then you may have a loose wire in your detector.

If you are hearing stereo while plugged into a a hifi (stereo) device but not in your detector (which according to thatguy is using the same set up and has stereo) try making sure you're plugged in completely. Try a different set of headphones or even earbuds with an adapter. If you're still only getting sound through one side then you may have a loose wire in your detector.

I'm only getting sound from one earphone when plugged into my hifi stereo and I'm only getting sound out of one earphone when plugged into my Compadre.

Apparently the headphones are defective.

That's my guess.

I first thought that the Garrett ClearSound headphones didn't like my Compadre, but someone else said that they had some that worked fine with their Compadre.

At any rate, I love my Compadre.

It pinpoints like a laser, It's super light and it precisely discriminates.

It's a one knob super wonder.:clapping:

I have 2 pairs...Killer B's and a $20 walmart set.
The cheap ones work, the B's work much better.

I can hear much more with them, more "shades" to the tones, more of those whisper signals...everything.
This is true on both my cheaper F2 detector and my Vaquero.
I have a display on the F2, I still hunt by sound first, and look at the display after.

Like watching movies..

Black and white

Colorized

Technicolor

Which ones would most people rather watch...Which gives you more visual "information"?

You get what you pay for....the better the phones, the more useful information is there for your brain to process...and my B's have a lifetime warranty.

HH

Good quality head phones do a couple things

They have a switch to make sure that they are compatible with all major brands
They fit over the entire ear blocking outside noise like wind and waves and kids
They let you hear the faint beeps while using a volume limiter on surface targets
They are typically more comfortable Summertime they can get hot, but winter beach hunting they kick butt
Some like the RATS have the ability to change out just the cord if need be
Most have a volume control for both ears if you have a hearing problem

I have a good quality detector a good quality water scoop and I will not compromise on the headphones. I realize that everyone has a budget, but hearing is what the hobby is all about

Hey Rip...if you recall, I told you you would love these!

One more thing about these B's...Maybe it is just me, but last summer hunting in 90-100 degree heat, for some reason my ears didn't get baked.
With the full cups I thought they would, but they seemed very comfortable to me for hours and hours.
Maybe the material covering the foam is "breathable"?
Anywho, I was real surprised and grateful for that since on a long hunt I want to be as comfortable as possible.

HH

Hey Rip...if you recall, I told you you would love these!

One more thing about these B's...Maybe it is just me, but last summer hunting in 90-100 degree heat, for some reason my ears didn't get baked.
With the full cups I thought they would, but they seemed very comfortable to me for hours and hours.
Maybe the material covering the foam is "breathable"?
Anywho, I was real surprised and grateful for that since on a long hunt I want to be as comfortable as possible.

HH
Yes you did and everything you said about them is true, and they are very comfortable and you really don't hear any outside noise.:yes:

You were cracking me up through the entire video about your lips not moving with the voice....funny stuff!! :rofl:

LOL.. Yeah had been awake for 30 mins and was a tad loopy still, and I don't edit or do retakes that takes too much effort just to respond to a simple question. :)

Is there any reason I can't use my electronic stereo hearing protection muffs I use in shooting? they have the plug-in for my timer and a radio. These buggers cost around $250 and have volume controls too.

John

Back
Top Bottom