Whites TRX vs. Deteknix X pointer on gold

For $60-$70 more, the TRX better be almost twice the pinpointer than the X-pointer! It really isn't. Now if I were a dealer, I would tout the TRX as the ONE because hey, it's mo money.

The thing is that the value for the money spent is much higher for the x-pointer than the TRX. The performance is way too close. If the only thing you hunt is small gold then the TRX might be for you. Anything else and you can spend your money more wisely.

For $60-$70 more, the TRX better be almost twice the pinpointer than the X-pointer! It really isn't. Now if I were a dealer, I would tout the TRX as the ONE because hey, it's mo money.

The thing is that the value for the money spent is much higher for the x-pointer than the TRX. The performance is way too close. If the only thing you hunt is small gold then the TRX might be for you. Anything else and you can spend your money more wisely.

As you stated at the beginning of this thread that you are a coin/relic hunter, so the X pointer fits you well. Most other hunters like to catch that elusive little gold item while searching. One little gold find will easily equal the $60-$70 dollars mentioned so the TRX has a very strong and deserved following by those hunters that fall outside your coin/relic choice. So the wise choice should be a tool that fully fits the task you are doing. Your base detectors are not what one would call bargain brands, why did you not take the same approach and maybe hunt with one of the bargain low cost units? Maybe you ran into a little of that "dealer tout?:p

I use both of these. Both are great. So my question is to everyone ... If you get a target , pinpoint it, then dig, your x pointer dont find it cause its so tiny. What do you do?? I wave my detector coil over area to locate item again to see if its still in hole of out. Then i start waving the handfulls of dirt over coil til i find the tiny item. Sounds like alot of you just fill hole back in and leave?? Bowinkles said if miss the small (tiny) gold you could lose $60-$70 !! Why would you miss it? Give up???? Why??? Makes no sense at all. But hey ive been digging so long i never used pinpointers til mid 2000's lol. Out of all of the things ive dug there may have been 1 maybe 2 micro pieces of foil my x pointer did not pick up. But ive never left a hole without locating my target that my metal detector located in the first place. If you go by some peoples rules then without a pinpointer you find nothing lol Its just so rare to come accross that tiny micro gold that makes that big of a difference. And you still should not walk away until your target is found. The x pointer is a great tool. I still love my trx but it has little quirks in its functions and none are perfect. X pointer is still faster for me. Its better than the garrett. And almost on parr with trx. But for criminelly dont walk away from any hole without your target. That is you leaving it in the hole not the pinpointer!!

I have an X pointer and it has hit EVERY target I have dug.
Realistically the gold pieces they are talking about are in the $6-$7 not $60-$70 big difference. You know the ones most people wouldn't even dig in the first place.
bowwinkles I have seen you grasp at every straw you could to try and put X pointer down. Now you have latched on to it wont hit gold thing. Which is misleading people. You should say it won't hit gold in an AIR TEST so small that you probably wouldn't dig in the first place. Did I mention it has hit every target I have dug? Maybe I should say it again, The X pointer has hit EVERY TARGET I have dug. Maybe you should take all that straw you been grasping at and build a little basket to hold all your gold in.

Realistically the gold pieces they are talking about are in the $6-$7 not $60-$70 big difference. You know the ones most people wouldn't even dig in the first place.
bowwinkles I have seen you grasp at every straw you could to try and put X pointer down. Now you have latched on to it wont hit gold thing. Which is misleading people. You should say it won't hit gold in an AIR TEST so small that you probably wouldn't dig in the first place. Did I mention it has hit every target I have dug? Maybe I should say it again, The X pointer has hit EVERY TARGET I have dug. Maybe you should take all that straw you been grasping at and build a little basket to hold all your gold in.

The chain in my vid was 19;1 grams of 14k. You can dig gold chains by accident looking for coins. Only point I was making really is the chains you see posted dug by accident by a hole with a quarter will almost not exist anymore with an x pointer. Check what a chain over 19 grams runs. :lol:

There was never any offense towards you so I hope you didn't take it that way.
That said the only thing the video proves is that one AIR TESTS better than the other.With the X pointer designed to not false or to false less than the others I would expect those results in air.
I'm not saying it's the best but it's a far cry from being as bad as what SOME people would want you to think.

My 2 cents...

Howdy folks, figured I’d chime in as well… lol… to start, I’m primarily a Jewelry hunter, more specifically, prefer the gold (lol)… having the GPP, the XPointer and the TRX, figured I’d add my 2 cents.

I also ran home air tests… used a very small (almost infant size) 14k gold ring, and normal size wedding band, and a plain gold chain with a lobster clasp…

The TRX did indeed hit each item very easily (NOTE: It was the Xpointer that found the tiny 14k ring about 2 inches under). The GPP Hit all, but only the lobster clasp of the gold chain, but ONLY when I touched the clasp to the GPP, and then, it did not hit it off the tip, in fact it would only sense it (barely) about an inch up for the tip (on the side) (weird, I know). The XPointer had no problem with the tiny gold ring (again, I was using that when I found this one…weight of .7 grams, pretty small), but did not like the gold chain.

So, indeed, if any of my machines were to hit just the gold chain, the GPP and the Xpointer may miss it…. But, like someone else has said, I don’t leave the hole until I find what I’m looking for, lol. But, yeah, the TRX seems it would easily hit the chain.

Now, I am wondering though if the in ground results would be “better” … you would think just the opposite, but that gold chain I mentioned, was hit on by my Vaquero (think it rang from the claw)… just the slightest of blips… but, was in my favorite park, that I have cleaned up pretty well, so I dug even the faintest blips… and the GPP did find it (again, probably the claw)… it seemed to perform better in the ground than the air test… again, just my observation. IMO I think all three may perform a wee bit better in the ground... just my opinion. :D

So, for me, Yes, the TRX is more sensitive to smaller gold, from air tests anyways… the GPP and XPointer seem to be similar in sensitivity to gold… except the GPP did indeed hit the clasp, but barely, when it was pretty much touching it… but in terms of that small 14k ring… the XPointer, in the air test, actually read it from a bit greater distance… again, am just saying what I saw… lol.

I dunno, I got the TRX, and love it… but, bang for the buck… “I’m” all for the XPointer. IMO… I think the XPointer will hit on pretty much 99.9 percent of the gold “I” find with my detectors. In a little over 3 years of hunting, and I hunt, a lot, its crazy, but I love the hobby, lol… I have only found one gold chain that was the chain alone… the other gold chains I have, all had either pendants still attached, or right next to them. And again, if I get the signal, I’ll hunt until I find it…

So yeah, the TRX is my goto now… but, for me, the Xpointer would be next, followed by the GPP. The xpointer on regular size rings etc… reached further than my GPP… but the TRX reaches a lot further. Some folks may think too far… but I am used to it and we get along fine. (-;

I like all three, but again, my opinion is that XPointer is pretty darn good, especially for the price. As I said elsewhere, if the GPP and the XPointer cost the same, personally I’d opt for the XPointer. But yeah, the TRX is the most sensitive of the three, from my findings… but I don’t think the XPointer is gonna miss much, especially if compared to the GPP… I was amazed at that tiny little gold ring I found… thought it was a small earring at first or a charm lol… but nope…. 14k tiny ring.

Either way, ya’ll have fun, all three PPs are pretty cool.

Happy hunting folks! ;)

Ron

I just watched the video again and the only thing the xpointer beeped at without touching it was the class ring. The TRX picked up everything from 2 to 3 inches.

If you are happy that you have a pinpointer that does not pick up 95% of gold without touching it that's your choice.

There was a necklace worth 100's of $ that it would not even pick up touching it and even those cheap earrings would be $20+.

You say You would not dig a $6 or $7 piece of gold but you will dig a clad dime or quarter. :laughing:

Every pinpointer has some downfall, but not picking up gold is one that is NOT acceptable to me. You get what you pay for. End of story. :yes:

Twisted, I own one and have logged many hours with it. I have nothing against anyone owning or buying one. I do how ever have an opposition to a person who knows that its performance is sub standard compared to another pointer like the TRX, yet still brags that it is even better than it actually is. The X pointer has worked itself into its own category where it seems to do well and that is the coin/relic hunting. Stepping up to this category and doing well and costing $89 is an accomplishment. I do not think that the six or seven dollar pieces of gold are to small for me to keep. I have had times when a clad penny was a welcome change in a mornings hunt. Please continue to enjoy your investment and may it keep on finding every target. I will how ever put my trust in another brand which I feel does a more complete job as a metal detecting tool.

As you stated at the beginning of this thread that you are a coin/relic hunter, so the X pointer fits you well. Most other hunters like to catch that elusive little gold item while searching. One little gold find will easily equal the $60-$70 dollars mentioned so the TRX has a very strong and deserved following by those hunters that fall outside your coin/relic choice. So the wise choice should be a tool that fully fits the task you are doing. Your base detectors are not what one would call bargain brands, why did you not take the same approach and maybe hunt with one of the bargain low cost units? Maybe you ran into a little of that "dealer tout?:p

I began relic-hunting with a 5.75" Compadre, a Lesche, and a Propointer. What. :grin:

I.................................................................................................................Every pinpointer has some downfall, but not picking up gold is one that is NOT acceptable to me. You get what you pay for. End of story. :yes:

I disagree with you regarding you get what you pay for - Being made in China could account for inconsistencies in their final product - The reason I say this is that the quick tests I conducted yesterday on gold between the X-Pointer & the GPP had the X-Pointer hitting the targets deeper than the GPP -

It could be that either the near new Garrett Pro Pointer was faulty (which I doubt - USA made) or the X-Pointer was performing better than what others have experienced (inconstancy in Chinese made products) -

Buy hey - I am happy with the way my X-Pointer hits on targets

sycotoad;2that's great0 said:
I disagree with you regarding you get what you pay for - Being made in China could account for inconsistencies in their final product - The reason I say this is that the quick tests I conducted yesterday on gold between the X-Pointer & the GPP had the X-Pointer hitting the targets deeper than the GPP -

It could be that either the near new Garrett Pro Pointer was faulty (which I doubt - USA made) or the X-Pointer was performing better than what others have experienced (inconstancy in Chinese made products) -

Buy hey - I am happy with the way my X-Pointer hits on targets

The original test was with a Whites TRX not a Garrett.

If you are happy thats great.

X pointer is NOT FOR ME !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's getting unclear why people don't understand this. Many or most metal detectors won't even pick up small gold chains in the ground most of the time in the first place. If my $1500 V3i picks up a small foil or small gold, this 89 dollar does too.

Have I dug small gold chains...sure, but no more than 2 thin gold gold chains over 4 years of time. Trust me, the big Whites detector itself hardly beeped on it once it was out of the ground and laid out flat.

The TRX will dance better in distance(for it's retail cost)but it certainly isn't a daylight to darkness factoid. I own one the TRX, along with a Pistol Probe, along with 2 GPP pointers,and recently...the Detonix X-Pointer.

I simply feel that folks who call then $89, Chinese engineered and built pin pointer junk, JUST over the critique between a small gold chain and a $160 TRX,,,is misleading to the beginner detectorists here.

I liked the point made about small gold $$$ valuation which was made about the value of a thin gold chain find. It ain't $60-$70. It's far less. 6-7 bucks more likely.

Do we honestly wanna benchmark buying any pinpointer over a tiny piece of foil, or a thin gold chain, which even many of best metal detectors struggles to hit in the first place, especially when laying flat.

I test pinpointers,,,I own five different brands. IMO, for the price...the X-pointer makes great sense for the economical, yet the new Tectorist wishing for the best bang,, I feel the X-Pointer could be it. Small gold jewelry ain't what I seek by choice anyway. The odds of digging these low conductor ain't worth the double-dug-holes, all over simple foil 99.9% of the time.

Just sayin' ;-)

I just watched the video again and the only thing the xpointer beeped at without touching it was the class ring. The TRX picked up everything from 2 to 3 inches.

If you are happy that you have a pinpointer that does not pick up 95% of gold without touching it that's your choice.

There was a necklace worth 100's of $ that it would not even pick up touching it and even those cheap earrings would be $20+.

You say You would not dig a $6 or $7 piece of gold but you will dig a clad dime or quarter. :laughing:

Every pinpointer has some downfall, but not picking up gold is one that is NOT acceptable to me. You get what you pay for. End of story. :yes:

Then you should have a Long Range Locator! :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom