Glad I wear waders

I saw that guy from Connecticut in the news and was glad it wasn't you Craig! :shock:

I saw that guy from Connecticut in the news and was glad it wasn't you Craig! :shock:

Nope... I'm too busy working plus playing in the water during the summer is really not for me...I'll wait for the water to cool off... my physical therapist said water hunting should be good for my knee..

I've been out twice up here in CT in my bathing suit and the water was really not that warm in my opinion. Thou, I think it is time to use start using the waders.

Last summer guy here in NJ was crabbing. Now he's minus both arms and legs from that bacteria.

And yet there are still those that say we shouldn't be worried. I'll be wearing my waders if I go in. It's not worth the risk to me.

Cliff

I just did a 15 outings in July with the wetsuit. Water smelled like dead fish a few days, then of all things I got a couple shots in the face...

Any cuts, scratch's or wounds get covered/sealed. Then as soon as I get home all gets sprayed down and I get the anti-bacteria shower.

I'm sure it's every where here, so far only thing I'm concerned about is this glow..

Attachments

• 1glow-hands.jpg
    1glow-hands.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 581
I don't care if it's 9 or 90 degrees outside, summer or winter...I don't ever get in this CT water unless I'm wearing waders and gauntlets:lol:

Considering there are millions of swimmers during the summer months this is very very rare. It does require consideration for open wounds and weak immune systems because those two things increase your odds of acquiring the nasty version which is still rare even with those two issues. You are way more likely to be killed in a car wreck driving to hunt your local beach.

mmm

It's down on te gulf side in Florida , 2 cases up my way, i think standing still stagnet water plays a roll , that's the last thing i want, or it also could be poluted water , Craig they also said you can get it from consuming seafood , not good. PS OBN :lol: everyone seen that pick , do another one, you posted it this year :laughing:

Seems to be more buzz about it here too this year. But if you do a google..... it seems lower than most years.... just more news stories about it. Al and Miss seems to be horrible for it looking on the map. Some of the cases have been on a few of the beaches i hunt on. So im careful to shower after and when i get home as well as check myself. BUT...... here .... im more concerned with LIGHTNING. You cant say your chances are about the same odds as getting struck by lightning....... because it seems more have been struck this year.:lol:

I read an article a few days ago that says the bacteria is getting more common due to rising water temps. It likes warmer water and becomes more aggressive and populations increase. It is still rare but the number of cases is increasing. It's not just being talked about more on social media.

Until the water cools a bit I'll just wear my waders. I bought them a few years ago and it won't hurt to wear them

Cliff

I've been out twice up here in CT in my bathing suit and the water was really not that warm in my opinion. Thou, I think it is time to use start using the waders.

I'm not saying its that warm but the weather guys are... I still wouldn't go in water without protection... hope you never get swimmers itch which can be brutal...

Tell you a story Charlie... took my uncle clamming and he laughed at me wearing long pants and a long sleeved shirt while he went in with his bathing suit... he was in the water clamming less than I was but he ended up in the hospital with hundreds of red itchy oozing lumps from the parasite dying under his skin... me.. not a bite.

keep going in the cesspool called LI Sound in a bathing suit.. :laughing:

Maybe this picture on this article will change your mind about going in the water in a bathing suit... if not I will surely laugh at you when you are covered in red welts Best part is if you have insomnia.. the itching will give you something to do to pass the time...:laughing:

https://www.capegazette.com/article/fisherman-warns-swimmers-itch/142898

It's down on te gulf side in Florida , 2 cases up my way, i think standing still stagnet water plays a roll , that's the last thing i want, or it also could be poluted water , Craig they also said you can get it from consuming seafood , not good. PS OBN :lol: everyone seen that pick , do another one, you posted it this year :laughing:

I'm not eating seafood right now...

When I am working I'll have one of these for breakfast... they are awesome and taste great... they are not cheap but you can afford a quality bar instead of the garbage they sell full of preservatives these days and sugar... they are sweetened with honey.

https://perfectbar.com/

I don't care if it's 9 or 90 degrees outside, summer or winter...I don't ever get in this CT water unless I'm wearing waders and gauntlets:lol:

Seriously. I'm the same way. (if I can ever get out anymore) You couldn't pay me to walk barefoot or detect without my waders in CT. If the jellyfish or flesh eating bacteria doesn't get you, the rusty iron will.

How about those river hunters like Aquachigger? Swimming in that muddy sewer water.

When it comes to chopping off parts please let me die.

Luckily my neosporin is packed.

I'm not saying its that warm but the weather guys are... I still wouldn't go in water without protection... hope you never get swimmers itch which can be brutal...

Tell you a story Charlie... took my uncle clamming and he laughed at me wearing long pants and a long sleeved shirt while he went in with his bathing suit... he was in the water clamming less than I was but he ended up in the hospital with hundreds of red itchy oozing lumps from the parasite dying under his skin... me.. not a bite.

keep going in the cesspool called LI Sound in a bathing suit.. :laughing:

Maybe this picture on this article will change your mind about going in the water in a bathing suit... if not I will surely laugh at you when you are covered in red welts Best part is if you have insomnia.. the itching will give you something to do to pass the time...:laughing:

https://www.capegazette.com/article/fisherman-warns-swimmers-itch/142898

Thanks for the advice. Usually in the summer all of my detecting are the beaches and slopes of RI. When that season ends the water here is to cold so the waders come out.

Waders ? To protect you from bacteria ? Maybe if you got open wounds. Otherwise , no. Wet suits for the cold , yes. I'm not a forensic microbiologist , but it would seem that the toilets you boys play in , the airborne spores alone would get you. Mouth , nostrils... you guys are all sucking it in. You all may want to start wearing respirators when you water hunt. Yes , full on hazmat suits ! Only way you stand a chance. Post some pics in your turd repellent uniforms ! Be safe out there.

Back
Top Bottom