Help ID my two Buttons!

The_Detectorist

Hello everyone!

Among my batch of items found today were two old flat buttons, different and interesting. Both were found in a farm field where two Indian Head penny's were found, one 1861 and the other 18(xx).

The first is flat, circular, with a broken shaft on the back. The legible writing on it should make this easy to identify, but I haven't been able to do so yet! It reads (as best as I can make out): "W.T KUSTIS" (on the top outer ring) "BOSTON" (top inner ring) "47 & 49 KILRY" (bottom outer ring) "US" (bottom inner ring).

The second item is far more damaged, but interesting. It is in the shape of a clover, made of perhaps aluminum. It has a centimeter long triangle coming out of the back before it snapped off. If it is a button, it is an odd design. It could be part of a badge, or other object. The front is gauged out on the left side, but the right reads (from a broken word) "-West", and underneath it "-towl". The back is also highly degraded, but it has a specific date! It says "-JUNE 3, 1924". Of course whatever words were before the date have degraded away. Well online detectives, good luck! Let me see what you can do. Message if you want more pictures.

Attachments

• 20180319_222550.jpg
    20180319_222550.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_20180319_203921_317_zoomed.jpg
    IMG_20180319_203921_317_zoomed.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_20180319_203950_263_Zoomed.jpg
    IMG_20180319_203950_263_Zoomed.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 239
I believe the name on the flat button is “W. T. Eustis” which I think is William Tracy Eustis.
And the street name I think is Kilby
Or, at least I can find both of those things having been in Boston, but I haven’t been able to connect the two yet.

Last edited:
The second item is not a button it's a live stock tag. It is actually a 2 piece they riveted through the ears. It just says who owns the live stock. I have 3 of them drove me nuts til I ran across an old timer who farmed the same land since the 40's and his dad owned it many years before him. He told me what it was.

I believe the name on the flat button is “W. T. Eustis” which I think is William Tracy Eustis.
And the street name I think is Kilby
Or, at least I can find both of those things having been in Boston, but I haven’t been able to connect the two yet.

Thanks for the input. I know it doesn't come out too clearly in the picture, but it is definitely a "K", and not an "E". My searching has shown up all sorts, but nothing specific to match it to so far!

The second item is not a button it's a live stock tag. It is actually a 2 piece they riveted through the ears. It just says who owns the live stock. I have 3 of them drove me nuts til I ran across an old timer who farmed the same land since the 40's and his dad owned it many years before him. He told me what it was.

Thats great! I mean, its great that you figured it out. I ended up pulling out another four of them from the same field, all in the same area. The others are better quality and you're right, after searching for them online it pops up. Thanks!!

That link may not have worked?...

Attachments

• 6DC0507F-3D58-41EA-BE09-9C7FB996E21E.jpeg
    6DC0507F-3D58-41EA-BE09-9C7FB996E21E.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 79
Back
Top Bottom