All Purpose, around $500, let's do this!

Everyone seems to be missing that he said "work fine at the beach", which an AT Pro will not (saltwater anyway).

I would look for a nice used DFX or Explorer, of the two I would go the for DFX.

Everyone seems to be missing that he said "work fine at the beach", which an AT Pro will not (saltwater anyway).

I would look for a nice used DFX or Explorer, of the two I would go the for DFX.

I'll admit, I missed that part. In another post I made the comment that "you need a Multi-freq. machine for wet salt beaches" and someone messaged me and mentioned that the AT-pro will work in wet salt if set right, which is true, most detectors will, but you lost so much depth and performance by the time you adjust the settings to stabilize it, that it's useless for most targets of average depth. If you plan to do a lot of salt beach hunting and don't buy the proper equipment, you will be wasting a lot of time and missing a lot of finds. Anyway below are the detectors I'd try to find in the $500 or less range, in the order I'd prefer if I wanted to beach hunt as well as land hunt.

1. Fisher CZ (5,7a,7a-pro,70)
2. Whites DFX
3. Minelab Explorer 2/se
4. Minelab Sovereign XS

I'll admit, I missed that part. In another post I made the comment that "you need a Multi-freq. machine for wet salt beaches" and someone messaged me and mentioned that the AT-pro will work in wet salt if set right, which is true, most detectors will, but you lost so much depth and performance by the time you adjust the settings to stabilize it, that it's useless for most targets of average depth. If you plan to do a lot of salt beach hunting and don't buy the proper equipment, you will be wasting a lot of time and missing a lot of finds. Anyway below are the detectors I'd try to find in the $500 or less range, in the order I'd prefer if I wanted to beach hunt as well as land hunt.

1. Fisher CZ (5,7a,7a-pro,70)
2. Whites DFX
3. Minelab Explorer 2/se
4. Minelab Sovereign XS
I agree. The wife and I stayed in naples florida for 6months and than back for another go round. I used my mxt-pro at the beach and it worked fine. I never put it in the water. I did ground balance it everytime I swept closer to the water itself. However using the at-pro on the beach it also did well. I would only go in up to my knees with it and I also ground balanced it when I was in the water. I notched out everything under 50 with iron disc all the way up and never experienced any problems. Now when the storms would roll in I sometimes would have better luck when in reality you would think that static and emi would make things worse. Nope. No issues. The atpro is just fine for people on a low budget who want to hunt saltwater beaches. I know its not a whites surf or minelab excall but it holds up just well

I agree. The wife and I stayed in naples florida for 6months and than back for another go round. I used my mxt-pro at the beach and it worked fine. I never put it in the water. I did ground balance it everytime I swept closer to the water itself. However using the at-pro on the beach it also did well. I would only go in up to my knees with it and I also ground balanced it when I was in the water. I notched out everything under 50 with iron disc all the way up and never experienced any problems. Now when the storms would roll in I sometimes would have better luck when in reality you would think that static and emi would make things worse. Nope. No issues. The atpro is just fine for people on a low budget who want to hunt saltwater beaches. I know its not a whites surf or minelab excall but it holds up just well

Yep, I've hunted beaches with XLT's, Classic ID's, a Minelab Musketeer, and they all worked fine, even in wet sand, they just won't go deep at all. If he plans to hunt beaches occasionally such as family trips, etc. then anything will do, but if he plans to hunt them regularly, then he really needs a multi-freq machine if he wants to compete with the other hunters out there and find the deeper items. For $500 he should have no problem finding a good used multi-freq land/beach detector that will kick butt on the beach.

Thank you everyone for the responses!

Endless research is leading to me straight into indecision. I'm attempting to convince myself to purchase a higher priced machine as it'd help increase finds and give the hobby a real chance. So, now I'm finding myself debating the likes of the Fisher F-70 and Minelabs E-TRAC, or simply going with an AT PRO as it appears indestructible. It sure is easy to go from 200 to 1,200 in this sport! ;)

Sorry for losing focus here!

Back
Top Bottom