"Supertuning" your Pro-Pointer.

Coin Machine

I know this has been posted quite a bit, but as a nOOb, and for other nOObs, I'd thought I'd stress this point (I made a funny :)

The Garrett Pro-Pointer, imo, is FAR better than the Fisher/Bounty pointer, as I have both. Idk about the Harbor Freight model, but from what Ive read its about the same as the Fisher/Bounty.

But, I digress.

Supertuning, as shown here, is an incredible way to get "more" out of your GPP.
Thank you Digger27.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5o5ICw64f8

I went ahead and made my own glove, with the "Hunk 'O Metal" sewn onto it.
40e3fa90.jpg

This helps GREATLY. After pinpointing with my MD, I switch over to my GPP. I'll then scan the ground where the MD has pinpointed and see if I can get a signal. If not, I'll supertune it and scan again. You'd be surprised. Yesterday in moist soil, I could get a signal 4" deep...JUST with the supertuned GPP. This helps me dig a much smaller plug exactly where I need too dig.
After pulling the flap of the plug, I can then scan again and determine if my target is in the plug, or in the hole. If I don't get a signal, I'll supertune and scan again. I haven't "lost" a target yet doing this. After determining where the target is, I'll then turn off the GPP and turn it back on (while in range of the target) and this allows me to get almost an exact target location (The GPP will almost have to be touching the target to signal.)

After retrieving the target, I'll supertune the GPP again and scan the hole, the plug and the surrounding area. I'm amazed how well scanning the ground while supertuned works. I've found many other targets without using the MD.

So, just my $0.02 for us "nOObs" here.

James.

That does work great....
I figured a few days back if this worked on the pro-pointer then maybe it would work on the At-Pro too, after many tests I've managed to gain 2-3 inches in the pin-point mode but as of yet no noticeable difference in the regular detecting mode... :(

Call me silly, but doesn't this make it worse? I like the MD pinpointer and then the Garrett PP to get within an inch or two.

Call me silly, but doesn't this make it worse? I like the MD pinpointer and then the Garrett PP to get within an inch or two.

This technique is best used to find the exact location of the target before you dig a hole.
By moving the tip along the surface of the soil, I can tell how deep it is from the PP reaction.
If I hear nothing and get no vibrations, supertuning brings that target into range so your holes don't have to be huge.
I can usually zero in on and "see" coin size targets about 4" deep by doing this, I can even get a few clicks at 5", and if the ground is moist, add about another inch to that.

I have gotten so good at this I rarely ever have the need to supertune to find a target in an open hole since I am usually very close already.
If needed, this technique does make it very easy to supertune while you are in the hole if you somehow missed the target, or if it is very deep in the bottom of an already open shallow hole.

Why dont you strap a PP to each foot and then you can superboost them and find things when you walk....put them in your shoes inside a specially cut sole pad then when your feet start vobrating you know you found something, you just need to shuffle like an oxy freak around the park in a long overcoat especially around the tot lots...nothing bad could happen there:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom