Texas - Dallas Metroplex

FoleyTX

Hi, I'm Wayne. I live in Carrollton, TX. Just getting started, I dont even have a detector yet but have a friend out of state that got me interested before he moved but I have not had much time till now. Actually still dont have much time but I guess this is one of the things on my bucket list so we will see how it turns out. I have the cashola ready to spend to buy my detector so I am going to post my questions about that in the other forums. I plan to spend probably 750 on detector, pin pointer and tools so that is the price range I am looking at. Kellyco, probably Garrett.

It's a very addicting hobby. I have been at it for about 3 weeks now and I get out there just about every day after work and on the weekends.

Welcome from Houston Tx! I know what you mean about the time. I want to go out but don't have much free time to do it.

Buying a detector

Ok, I guess this may be the best place to post these questions after all. Below is really just a copy paste from an email I sent to Garrett Sales but have not heard back although it was only yesterday. The money is burning a hole in my pocket so I am hoping to place an order soon before something else new and shiny catches my attention. I'm eccentric like that.

So please share your opinions, even if they are unpopular to some. :grin:

Here is my post in the find a buddy section that will tell you more about "me" :
CLICK HERE!

To Garrett Sales:
I live in the Dallas Metroplex and I am trying to decide between the
ACE 250, AT pro and AT Gold. I am a newbie and I have not done this
before. I am very technical by nature and hate buying something and
finding out that if I had spent a little more i could have
gotten...blah, blah, blah. I know this is always the case though. I
have no idea if there is gold in this area. My guess would be no but
I'm ignorant about it until I do some research. I don't know of anyone
around here that has said that they are headed out to find some Gold.
The main reason I am looking at the AT Gold is because I am most
interested in the ability to weed out trash. I know you guys will
probably say its part of it but I'm too old and fat. I don't mind
digging up trash and I am not just looking for treasure, I like the
collection aspect of this although I would like to at some point make
enough to pay for the equipment.

Will I be able to weed out trash better with the AT Gold?

Will I be able to weed out trash with the AT Pro just as well as the
AT Gold assuming I learn both machines well?

Do you think the Ace 250 would be enough?

I know this is somewhat subjective so OPINION is good. What do most
customers in this same situation do?

hi welcome, if you really learn your machine you can weed out trash pretty good no matter what your using , and id go at pro youll have no problem getting almost all your money back if you decide the hobby is not for you and youll have a great machine if you stick with it and wont have to upgrade right away and you can hunt water too!

Hey Wayne - good to have you here. I am in Coppell, very close to Carrollton. At beltline and macarthur. I have a like new Ace 250 Id sell if you are interested. Has all original box, manuals, DVD, warranty card - everything. Perhaps we could hunt together sometime.

In my opinion, get the AT Pro or Gold..

I have a Ace 350, and I learned it inside and out in less than a week.. It doesn't pick up targets deep... it loves bottlecaps.. and has a hard time picking up a coin next to a peice of trash. I find myself wanting more information from the detector. And the bottlecaps make you crazy cause they sound exactly like quarters. I'm currently saving up for an Etrac.

Hey GMG. Sent you a PM. I am very familiar with Coppell. I have been in the area since 91. Although I guess you wouldnt know that considering I know how to get lost really well. I tell people I could get lost in my own neighborhood.

Thanks others, I love straight forward opinions. :-)

It's tough when folks give you all the technical info but don't really want to say what they would do.

Its like saying well, a Porsche has blah blah blah but you can do 150 in a Corvette and save some cash. Although, if the Corvette is yellow (ACE 250) I might spend the extra to get a black Porsche. Why am I even saying all this? :?:

Listening to the Rangers right now. 1-1. Go Rangers!

Here's the response back from Garrett and my additional reply.

FROM GARRETT: Good afternoon Wayne,

The way metal detectors work is by conductivity, so even if you have a
high dollar detector doesn't mean you are not going to pick up trash.
For example a soda can has the same conductivity as a dime or quarter. A
pulltab has the same conductivity as a piece of gold, like a mens gold
wedding band. Now with the 5x8" coil on the AT Pro it will work well in
trashy areas because it is a small coin so you can go in between trash
and pick up the good detectors.
My first question would be what kind of hunting are you looking at
doing. Are you mainly going to hunt for coins, jewelry that sort of
thing at parks, playground, school yards. Are you wanting to do some
beach hunting or prospecting for gold or relic hunting. Depending on
what kind of hunting you are looking at doing will depend on what
detector will be good for you.

Please let me know what kind of hunting you are looking at doing and I
will let you know which detector will best serve your needs.

TO GARRETT:
I was thinking that the digital id with the number that that would
offer another advantage in detecting if it is trash. I may be wrong.

Hunting coins, jewelry and relics. I would like to expand my hunting
to include water areas and I understand that the ACE 250,350 would not
allow that so the recommendation would be with that out of the mix.

I guess I am really trying to decide between the AT PRO and the AT
GOLD. I am assuming that the AT GOLD is just going to give the
additional ability to hunt gold better. Didnt seem to be a big
difference in price. Based on that, if true, I think I would just buy
the Gold. Let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks for your continued opinion and expertise.

Wayne

I am sure that all of the sponsors are great to do business with but before you buy check out American Detector Distributors 510K Harwood Rd., Bedford 817 498-7100. Robert will match the on line prices so that even with the tax you walk out the door with your stuff in hand for the same price you get on line. They are close to you so if you have any questions or problems you can get help locally.

I would also recommend that you check out the Lone Star Treasure Hunting Club, they meet the last Friday each month in Irving. They are a great bunch of people who will go out of their way to help new people and make you welcome. I know because my wife and I are green as grass (if we had any rain to grow grass) and they have really helped us. I found the club on line and called the contact number and the gentleman I talked with, invited us to a group hunt at a old ghost town a couple of days later and even brought extra detectors and shovels for us to use because we did not have any.

The LSTHC is having their annual hunt in Irving this Saturday if you have time and want to come by I have only entered a couple of hunts so I will be free most of the day and you can try out my AT Pro, I have only had it a couple of weeks so I don't know everything about it but we can get out of the way and play with it. I am a big guy 6 ft. about 230 with a grey beard also named Wayne

Oh no, not another Wayne. Well we will have to call you little Wayne. I am six foot and if you turn those two first little numbers in YOUR weight, you will have mine. 320. My nickname at work is Pudd'n so you can call me that. Just don't call me late for dinner. Did someone say dinner???

I might take you up on that. My daughter has a softball tourney in SouthLake this weekend. I hope to get away in between games.

Thanks a bunch. I like y'all knuckle heads so far. Especially that old fart Robert-RWJR. I think when I talked to him on the phone, he back handed two out of control kids, kicked three dogs, trapped and feathered 4 chickens all while explaining the finner parts of the hobby. I think he said he found two diamond rings while we were on the phone to. He didn't miss a beat.

Welcome FoleyTX! Im hooked for life so I am not worried about losing interest.

With a 750.00 budget, you could probably get the AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, and Lesche digger, which would be a nice start.

I talked to a local dealer today and I think I am going to go with them to buy an AT Pro, ProPointer and the Lesche although I don't even know what that is. LOL

I like being able to buy it local and I hate waiting for stuff in the mail. Plus I can take it out of the box, throw some dirt on it and tell my wife I traded for it so I don't have to tell her how much I spent. I KNOW, I KNOW its wrong but it is what it is. Maybe I can find a BIG diamond ring and it will go on her finger or find something so that I can take her out to a nice dinner. She will have no issue with that, I promise. :D

I plan to buy from American Detectors in Bedford Texas. Robert at 817-498-7100 Just talked to him first time today and came by recommendation.

I'm excited about it. I'm gonna go buy a roll of quarters and ask my kids to go throw them around the park just so that I have a much better chance of not coming up empty handed. I'll have to give them 5 each to not go back and pick them up themselves. It will be like a easter egg hunt. I just thought of this but thinking a little I dont think this is a new idea. But hey, it may not be original but it was my independent idea.

I like to video so who knows, I might become the next YouTube star.

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom