• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

is the following statement true?

Check out this video I did a wile back. It compares a signal with various size coils and with various detectors. Extreme iron field ground yet the bigger coils gave the better sound.

Again I say it all depends on conditions. The right tool is not always the same tool.

Also an interesting comparison with the ATP in the popular PRO mode vs STD mode.

Read it here: http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/behindthemask.htm

Question: in general, larger coils miss what smaller coils are capable of detecting?

You ask a good question.

In milder soil using discrimination larger coils are generally deeper, and many times they are deeper on larger items vs small items.

In hotter soil using discrimination a larger coil may not be deeper than a smaller coil... This is because the soil minerals cause saturation.. You would still have more coverage with the larger coil though.

Now take a detector with true all metal, the larger coil will most times be deeper than a smaller counterpart. But remember using AM there is less filtering so the soil is less likely to cause the same saturation I mentioned above using discrimination. But remember using AM say in the hotter soil---you will get tone identifying both nonferrous and ferrous. So say in a park environment this may not help you, but say in a civil war relic site it may/will.

In hard hunted sites with lots of trash and iron---I like the smaller coils.
They can get some targets bigger coils are incapable of identifying many times.
Using a small coil does require patience though and slow creeping sweep speed in the worst of sites.

Both larger, stock and smaller coils do have their places. And there are no hard and fast rules to be applied-----because the detecting scenarios (amount of trash/iron at any given spot on the earth in relation to a good target can vary so much).

And not all detectors are created equal either.

Cheers.

very helpful, thanks

I wonder though, is there a downside to larger coils in pristine areas free of trash (wilderness)

A good friend always used to say, "dress for the occasion"....

The same can be said for coils and often detectors too. Somedays if im hunting a small tot lot, or sports park, near a fence ill pop on the small sniper coil, or if im relic hunting over a large field or dry sand at the beach, ill use the large coil....

I have different machines for different situations and different coils for most of those machines. Its all subjective to the environment which your hunting.

Good luck brother

Back
Top Bottom