Transporting your MD

Bayoutalker

Elite Member
How do you guys transport your detector while going from place to place? I have been keeping mine on the floor inside the cab. I now have a tonneau cover on the bed and I'm thinking about them riding in there to give me more room inside but I am concerned about damaging them by bouncing around. I am thinking about building some kind of holder to protect them.

How do you do it and do you have any ideas or creations that work?

Cliff

Mine goes in the trunk of my car, or if I'm heading to a different hunting location, into the backseat.

Tonneau covers are easily cut so if someone wants to get in they'll get in.

Mine goes in the trunk of my car, or if I'm heading to a different hunting location, into the backseat.

Tonneau covers are easily cut so if someone wants to get in they'll get in.
I'm not looking for it to be secure back there, just for transport while driving. A crew cab fills up pretty quick with 2-3 detectors.

Cliff

Before KT built a sleeping loft in His Royal Chariot camper, He had a custom carrier for 2 detectors in the bed of The Truck aka Chariot. There are two tieoff loops at the back next to the tailgate, one on either side. KT took an 18 inch wide by 4 foot plywood plank, covered it with outdoor carpet by stapling it on both sides. Then on each back corner, KT screwed in an eye screw. Paracord run through the tie loop was then tied to the eyeloup on each side. That made the platform slide proof. Then laying out both detectors, KT determined where to tie off each detector on each end. Four more eyeloops were then screwed into the platform and paracord tied to each of them. Then just tie each detector on the platform. If KT needed to remove the set up, He left the detectors tied on the platform and untied the two outside corner loops. Unit would lift right up, one side first and come out, with the detectors well attached! Bought a cheap Mexican sarape type blanket and tossed over the setup so no prying eyes could see anything but a cheapo blanket through the camper windows.

Cost? Less than $10 including the blanket!:lol::lol:

Before KT built a sleeping loft in His Royal Chariot camper, He had a custom carrier for 2 detectors in the bed of The Truck aka Chariot. There are two tieoff loops at the back next to the tailgate, one on either side. KT took an 18 inch wide by 4 foot plywood plank, covered it with outdoor carpet by stapling it on both sides. Then on each back corner, KT screwed in an eye screw. Paracord run through the tie loop was then tied to the eyeloup on each side. That made the platform slide proof. Then laying out both detectors, KT determined where to tie off each detector on each end. Four more eyeloops were then screwed into the platform and paracord tied to each of them. Then just tie each detector on the platform. If KT needed to remove the set up, He left the detectors tied on the platform and untied the two outside corner loops. Unit would lift right up, one side first and come out, with the detectors well attached! Bought a cheap Mexican sarape type blanket and tossed over the setup so no prying eyes could see anything but a cheapo blanket through the camper windows.

Cost? Less than $10 including the blanket![emoji38][emoji38]
That's kinda what I'm thinking about. I beach hunt frequently so I also carry 2 sand scoops. Those I just throw in the bed on top of a piece of carpet to keep them from sliding. I think I'll build some sort of frame to hold 2-3 detectors and the scoops.

Cliff

I just put it in the back seat and floor of my Tacoma. I have a metal gate that goes between the pickup bed rails that can be adjusted and clamped in any position in the bed.

Thanks for the comments guys but I was hoping for some creative ideas to put them in the bed in a safe manner. [emoji852] I really would like to regain space in the cab but maybe that's not in the cards. A side bonus would be to keep the sand out of the carpet.

Keep posting guys and thanks again.

Cliff

Thanks for the comments guys but I was hoping for some creative ideas to put them in the bed in a safe manner. [emoji852] I really would like to regain space in the cab but maybe that's not in the cards. A side bonus would be to keep the sand out of the carpet.

Keep posting guys and thanks again.

Cliff

It shouldn't be two difficult as most detectors can be collapsed to a degree.

How out some sort of "rack" to hold them up in the roof of the tonneau cover? I am thinking like some folks transport fishing rods or rifles?

Given that detectors are reasonably light weight you could perhaps improvise straps or bunggies to hold them up there...You might want to include a bit of padding, but should not be difficult..Up in the roof they would be away from any other kit like sand scoops ect that might damage them...

My tonneau cover is a roll up soft cover so no hanging them up there. Size is not an issue back there either. I am thinking about some kind of padded rack to hold the detectors and scoops that will sit in the bed and not waste a bunch of space. At the same time it needs to limit the bouncing on tough terrain. I was hoping someone had done something similar that would give me some ideas.

Cliff

My tonneau cover is a roll up soft cover so no hanging them up there. Size is not an issue back there either. I am thinking about some kind of padded rack to hold the detectors and scoops that will sit in the bed and not waste a bunch of space. At the same time it needs to limit the bouncing on tough terrain. I was hoping someone had done something similar that would give me some ideas.

Cliff

Maybe cut some 1 foot wide 4 foot long strips of plywood and mount fishing rod holders to the plywood. Would keep them from rolling around you could customize lengths etc. adjust it how you need to.

Attachments

• AB6F0586-B0C3-4EA5-AAC5-995A4A9C118B.jpg
    AB6F0586-B0C3-4EA5-AAC5-995A4A9C118B.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 180
I'd just wrap them in an old blanket or large towel, give them a little cusion and prevent them from sliding around to much. Quick, cheap and simple.

How do you guys transport your detector while going from place to place? I have been keeping mine on the floor inside the cab. I now have a tonneau cover on the bed and I'm thinking about them riding in there to give me more room inside but I am concerned about damaging them by bouncing around. I am thinking about building some kind of holder to protect them.

How do you do it and do you have any ideas or creations that work?

Cliff

Have you thought of a back window gun rack? Another good idea is a roof rack setup.

Do you have enough gear to fill a mini trailer? 🤣

Maybe cut some 1 foot wide 4 foot long strips of plywood and mount fishing rod holders to the plywood. Would keep them from rolling around you could customize lengths etc. adjust it how you need to.
I'm thinking of a double tier rack that would hold several detectors on the top and the scoops on the bottom. My idea is to cut plywood like you suggest but stand them on edge with slots on the top and holes on the bottom for the scoops. I'd like to have extra capacity in case I have company ride with me.

Cliff

On my old truck I used a back glass gun rack for two detectors. In my new truck I made a box from 1/2" plywood with three slots side by side to hold three detectors. The bottom is covered with foam padding and there is a compartment at the end to hold batteries and accessories. It also has a locking lid. Two bolts go through the bed and are secured with nuts on the under side. This prevents someone from stealing the box.
I hope that this helps.

On my old truck I used a back glass gun rack for two detectors. In my new truck I made a box from 1/2" plywood with three slots side by side to hold three detectors. The bottom is covered with foam padding and there is a compartment at the end to hold batteries and accessories. It also has a locking lid. Two bolts go through the bed and are secured with nuts on the under side. This prevents someone from stealing the box.

I hope that this helps.
Do you have any pictures of that rig? I might be able to get some ideas.

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom