what is your worst pest you encounter when metal detecting?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Today went for my weekly park hunt. I do that with my Nox 800 and 15" coil just to see if I can recover some overlooked deep goodies. I am mainly looking for old silver coins so I discrim out everthing under 20.

What I found today was groups of nice older Japanese ladies taking their walks. Of course of all days I left my headphones at home. So got lots of questions. Usually in each group one lady who spoke the best English who fielded the questions and translated.

I was polite to the first two groups and answered most questions. Not sure if they understood. I showed them a bent up old zinc penny and they were amazed and ask me how much it was worth. I said not worth anything. and the translator of the group said one lady said she would take it to the bank and I gave it to her. That ought to be an interesting conversation.

On the next group, I just told them I was looking for bombs and it took a few seconds for the group translator got the point across at which time there were more than a few wide eyes, ohhhs and ahhhs and the group took a collective 2-3 steps away from me. I then told her I was joking and they did not seem to appreciate the joke as they quickly moved on talking among themselves.

Now, I don't really mean they were pests, they were very nice ladies and I felt a little guilty about joking about bombs.

The pest I am really talking about today are yellow jackets. Normally they just fly around the trash cans for the fruit and soda cans.

But for the last two days they seem to have an intense interest in what I was doing and kept buzzing around me. Put on some 25% deet and figured that would work. Well it had no affect on them they were still very interested in my scent.

So I resorted using the pump spray bottle to actually spray the curious yellow jackets. This caused them to very quickly change their flight plan and buzz off into the sky.

The next pests we are bless with in Georgia are Copperhead snakes. But you have to be pretty unaware to have problems with those buggers. We also have rattlesnakes, water moccasins and coral snakes.

I see more Coopperheads than all the rest put together. Never have seen an actual Coral snake in the wild.

Mama deer are not to be messed with when out metal detecting. It is best to give them their ground and hunt elsewhere.

Deet takes care of mosquitos and ticks if you use the 25%. That is about it for the pests in Georgia.

I was detecting an old, unkempt, sand volleyball court once. Came across a type of hornet that had made a nest in the sand. Got out of there quick.

I was detecting an old, unkempt, sand volleyball court once. Came across a type of hornet that had made a nest in the sand. Got out of there quick.

Oh yeah, "ground bees" are the worst! They come out swingin' and stingin', and pack a real punch!
Deer flies can be a real challenge. If you swat and miss, they try to land and bite you in the same spot. When I was detecting in water recently, my hands were wet, so when I swatted my shoulder, neck, back, etc, it just created a nice wet spot for them to come and bite me even quicker. I can battle and win against 3 or 4 deer flies, but any more than that, it's best to run!

There is a soccer field I like to hit in the late fall and typically in the evenings after it's already dark out. On 3 different nights I had a skunk who didn't want to share 12 soccer fields with me. All I would see is this dark shadow with it's tail up in the air running in my direction. I'd jump up and down, swing the coil around. It would stop, go the other way and 10 minutes later it would be coming right back. Give me the mean dogs. I;d rather be bitten than sprayed. :lol:

My favorite river section is full of snakes, mostly harmless water snakes, but you do see the occasional Cottonmouth. They seem to make a habit of swimming between my legs when I'm knee-deep and concentrating on the coil. I'm not afraid of snakes, but I don't like them that close to vital organs. My theory is the coil is stirring up mudbugs and other little critters that the snakes like to eat.

I have had a couple kids become real pests. One boy followed me over a half mile on the beach until i finally told him that he needed to go back to where his parents were. He kept trying to grab items out of my scoop.

Had a little girl do the same thing. She got real mad when I would not let her do it again as she was grabbing and running to her parents. '

Most kids are a pleasure but once in a while a brat shows up.

Oh yeah, "ground bees" are the worst! They come out swingin' and stingin', and pack a real punch!
Deer flies can be a real challenge. If you swat and miss, they try to land and bite you in the same spot. When I was detecting in water recently, my hands were wet, so when I swatted my shoulder, neck, back, etc, it just created a nice wet spot for them to come and bite me even quicker. I can battle and win against 3 or 4 deer flies, but any more than that, it's best to run!

We are in the Deer Fly period right now in my neck of the woods, probably till mid-August. Lots of places I can't go until they die off. :mad:

Toward evening the mosquitoes are the biggest pests especially if you're hunting near woods or water. Hate to spray myself with repellent so usually I stop hunting the minute they start buzzing around.
Next is the wasps and hornets but I don't encounter too many of them.
Yellow jackets are really bad here in late summer when they seem to be ornery.
Finally....those Canada geese that leaves droppings every few INCHES it seems and you have to watch your every step.
As for humans......curious kids, and adults can be a nuisance but the worst are teenagers when they're with their "posse".

BITEING FLY'S. Horse fly's we call them here you bleed where ever they bite. I also cant stand it when Parents let their kids follow you around for a half hr while they think it's cute.

Copperheads are the only snakes around here that give me pause. They are so well camouflaged in the leaf clutter that I have been too close before I see them. They ain't aggressive, but seeing one a foot or so from your feet can get your heart beating. Ground bees are the worst. My wife was using the weed eater last year by some old farm equipment, and disturbed some. One got her on the eyelid and lit her up pretty good. As far as people, 2 little girls showed up one time while my wife and I were out. As soon as I would get a signal, they would dive to the ground and try to find it. We were doing a sand volleyball court, so they made out pretty good - several clad coins. After several minutes their mom finally showed up - and just watched and laughed as the girls dug. People are rude.

As far as living things that make detecting miserable...deer flies/horse flies. They will make me leave IMMEDIATELY. Biting midges are terrible too, but I have a certain repellant that works on them, and they have died down now. I’ve run across one or two small snakes, lots of geese, loud crows, a turtle, etc. But as far as something making me leave RIGHT NOW? Deer flies.

Horse flies are the worst. I got out of my car the other day and one immediately started dogging me. I walked 3/4 of a mile to my spot and he followed me the whole distance! I eventually nailed him, but talk about annoying!

Those disk golf players, they think they own the joint. Always motioning for me to get outa the way. Annoying as all get-out. Where’d they come from anyways?

Those disk golf players, they think they own the joint. Always motioning for me to get outa the way. Annoying as all get-out. Where’d they come from anyways?

They are becoming a problem here too. More and more of the parks are having disk golf courses added to them. Where I used to be able to detect in peace now groups of players keep forcing me to move, It seems as though there is a lot more trash left too.

A large screaming Badger attacked me as I approached an old, hollowed out tree stump while hunting in the woods. My guess is the stump was her nest. I was able to keep her a bay with the coil end of my metal detector until she retreated. Scared the !!!! out me.

Disk golfers? I'd never even heard of that sport until reading your post. I had to look it up to see what the heck disk golf is. Gee..... now we have to make sure we fill our holes even more because we wouldn't want one of those disk golfers to trip on a plug. Or would we?:extrahappy:

Out here it's the mosquitoes. I spray myself and for the really adventurous mosquitoes that ignore my spray I carry a spare bottle and spray THEM with it. It doesn't kill them, but it sure makes them unpopular with their peers :)

One thing I am very careful to watch out for are Fire Ant mounds, mess with one of them and they come out in a big hurry ! :shock:
animated-ant-image-0028.gif

Back
Top Bottom