Glass with Medal Mounted on it

Cpackjr

Found this glass/tumbler with a medal embedded on it. I was intrigued by the medal but I think it must be a reproduction of the medal found here:

Medal portraying the mining industry and mining technology in the 17th century

The medal is two sided, well made, 1 3/4 " .
Has anyone seen anything like this glass or tumbler? Do you have approximate age?
Is it mass produced or rare, I can find no similar example.
Thanks,
Charles

Medal commemorating the St Anna mine near Freiberg

Medallist: Martin Heinrich Omeis (1651-1703)
Material: Silver
Weight: 231.0g
Diameter: 80.8mm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 380
Additional pictures.

Additional photos (Btw, I mentioned it was a find, but it is not metal detector find)

the medal is positively identified. I'm sure it's a reproduction of a 1690 medal. Here is a short description:

This medal, which dates from 1690, shows the St Anna silver ore mine in Freiberg, Saxony. It provides an extremely detailed and accurate picture of the mining industry and the state of mining technology at the end of the 17th century. An aqueduct spanning the valley forms the centerpiece of the design. The medal was minted to mark the construction of the aqueduct, which vastly improved the sup-ply of water to the St Anna mine. A special medal was minted to mark this occasion. However, the aqueduct, which was later known as the "Altväterbrücke", had not even been completed yet in 1690, as you can see if you look closely at the coin. On the left-hand side, the water channel is still being supported by a wooden framework. The stone pillars were not finished until 1715. Despite this, the inscription, suspended above the land-scape in an arc, celebrates this technological achievement: "WAS MENSCHEN=HAND DURCH GOTT THUN KANN, DAS SIEHT MAN HIER MIT WUNDER AN." (Behold with wonder what God can achieve through human hand.

What I hope to find is the age of the whole pice and maybe why it was even produced, a very well made reproduction medal in a heavy tumbler that looks vintage. I've been unable to find any info other than what the medal is for..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 376
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 368
Back
Top Bottom