Metalprobe PP initial review (long winded, pic heavy)

LordOfTheZincs

Elite Member
I had a Nokta with a terrible designed slide switch that built up with mud so I modified it then decided to look for something different. I found a company in China (of course) that had just came out with these and started selling them in the UK. None avail. here yet so I ordered one anyways. This model can be used in the rain and rinsed in running water but they are releasing a totally water proof version at the end of this month. Basically I was trying to combine the propointer with the vibraprobe. Looks like they came real close (or will with submersible model) but it doesn't have proximity beeping/vibrating like I thought it had. The overall package looks pretty good and it seems to be durable feeling.

View attachment 282042

The little lame nylon protector cap came pre-cracked and knowing it wont work anyways I opted for a vacuum cap assortment from the parts store. ;)

View attachment 282043
View attachment 282044

The holster seems to be fairly well built too, decent foam padding that may actually float the whole thing but not sure I wanna try it with this model. It has a good sized belt loop but also has another fold over and snap/Velcro loop...:?: Not sure what that's for but maybe I'll figure something out.....
View attachment 282045

The switch operation confused me for a sec. until I decided to stop looking at the instructions on the body. :yes: Complete with misspelled "flashlight" :lol:
View attachment 282046

Once I turned it on I got a pretty loud solid beep. One more click and a solid vibration. Another I got the flashlight. The sensitivity adj. is inside the back of the housing under the cap and that was the cure for the constant beep but it adjusts backwards of what it should and backwards of what the brightness control for the flashlight does. It has a charging port but didn't come with a charger, dummy me didn't notice that in the description but should be able to find a 9v charger to fit that pretty easy at the thrift store. ;) Also note a separate on switch for the flashlight, that's so you can have the beep or vibrate with the light on, no optical sensor and no way to have the combo flashlight with beep unless you take back off and push that. :roll:
100_3371.jpg

The end cap is pretty heavy built with a nice thick rubber o ring and a slot to tighten it with a coin.
100_3372.jpg

Back to that flashlight......I'm digging it really. I turned it on late last night out behind my house after being in the dark for about 5 min. It's pretty dang bright :yes: especially compared to the one on my Nokta and the one I've seen on the Garrett. Also has the nifty brightness adjustment for you secret squirrel hunters. :D This pic. was taken of the curtains in my dining room this morning, still dark outside. It measured 11ft. away but works better than the pic. looks. It really did work well outside last night.
100_3374.jpg

The last 2 pics are of where it went off testing a key. Seemed to go off in about the same place for all the coins I tested except the nickel for some reason, it seems to pick those up better than a quarter? :?: I'm talking like a good 3/8" better....:wow:
100_3375.jpg
100_3378.jpg

The instructions tell you to adjust the sensitivity by sticking it in the dirt where you are hunting and adjust the sensitivity first before hunting for best results. I'm going in a bit to give it a field test so I'll try that out I guess. Almost sounds like a ground balance? So far I have turned it left til I get a solid beep the back right til it stops then about an 1/8th of a turn more and it seems to stabilize it out. I'll let you all know how it works sometime tonight. Good or bad, no BS here......

Good write-up!

And as an added bonus, you've reassured me that a war with China is nothing to worry about. :laughing:

It works for sure but the proximity beeping is a big deal to me. I need that, I end up thinking I'm touching the target all the time when it goes off solid from an inch away. It seemed to be kinda chirpy in the dirt too, like it was picking up minerals? Adjustment helped but it seemed I had to mess with it off and on (too much)to keep it stable. Bottom line....... it's a flashlight with a pinpointer in it. :yes: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom