Shot down by local town..... Need advice.

CT Seeker

I sent an email to a local town hall about permission to hunt on town property. I got the following response "I have been asked to respond to your question concerning metal detecting on Town property. Chapter 148 of the Town Code of Ordinances prohibits any type of alteration of land or improvements designated as town open space or park. Based on this provision this activity would not be permissible." This sounds like a bunch of BS. I don't consider what we do MDing an alteration or improvement. My question is this, should I respond and try to explain or just realize that there is no sense in trying to fight city hall. If I did respond, what should I shoot back at them? Thanks.

If this was a park, I say nice work! You just turned a given "yes" (everyone hunts parks) into a written and recorded "no"...

Keep it up, you will always have your own yard...

<*)))>{

I sent an email to a local town hall about permission to hunt on town property. I got the following response "I have been asked to respond to your question concerning metal detecting on Town property. Chapter 148 of the Town Code of Ordinances prohibits any type of alteration of land or improvements designated as town open space or park. Based on this provision this activity would not be permissible." This sounds like a bunch of BS. I don't consider what we do MDing an alteration or improvement. My question is this, should I respond and try to explain or just realize that there is no sense in trying to fight city hall. If I did respond, what should I shoot back at them? Thanks.

What type of town property are you trying to hunt? For the most part people tend to hunt public grounds early in the morning and get out before people start to gather. If they are asked to leave they do so. As always be very clean and remove all trash. Having a dangerous looking metal object in your pack to show someone that you removed it and possibly prevented a injury to someone may also help.

If this was a park, I say nice work! You just turned a given "yes" (everyone hunts parks) into a written and recorded "no"...

<*)))>{

Maybe a little bit harsh of a reply for a newer fellow member don't you think.....

What type of town property are you trying to hunt? For the most part people tend to hunt public grounds early in the morning and get out before people start to gather. If they are asked to leave they do so. As always be very clean and remove all trash. Having a dangerous looking metal object in your pack to show someone that you removed it and possibly prevented a injury to someone may also help.

Maybe a little bit harsh of a reply for a newer fellow member don't you think.....

Coin chaser is correct, go hunt and don't have anything in writing and if you can do something face to face, then do it, people need to get away from the impersonal email, texting etc. It's to easy for people to say no. I was hunting at a city park on friday and the grounds guy waved to me, he could care less about getting on my case even though we are allowed.

I don't think going straight to the top, is always the best way to get permission. You might get lucky, and get someone who is into the hobby, but that's really low probability. Each site, is an individual case, unless the whole town is off limits, do to a group of pirates armed with garden spades in the past. You really need to get the blessing from the whoever is personally responsible for a particular site. Don't think it's reasonable to get blanket permission for the entire town. Some parks are meant as recreational, so are meant to be quite, peaceful, heavily landscaped, meticulously maintained. A few parks, are like gardens, populated with unique vegetation to the area, which they don't want disturbed or destroyed.

So, officially, the town isn't open to metal detecting, but still, you might try the individual areas of interest, and someone could still allow it, take responsibility. Get it in writing, contact information for the individual.

It always helps to dig the trash, pickup a little surface trash, as you hunt. Try to keep you activities on the positive side, when hunting in public places. It will help, if there is ever an issue, and could open things up a little over time. I don't empty the junk out of my bucket ever hunt, just when it's getting heavy or full. Mostly, I hunt the curb strips around town. Lots of bottle caps and pulltabs, but enough 'treasure', and interesting items to make it fun and enjoyable for me. I've never asked for permission, never been challenged about it either. I stick to the sections, which are simply mowed occasionally, pass over the section well maintained (sodded, seeded, landscaped). Also stay away from the sections with utility boxes. I try not to generate interest or concerns, and most left to enjoy the hobby. I do get bother with questions about what I've found. Sections where there is parking on the street, are fairly productive, lots of keys and coins. Bus stops are pretty good as well.

Not that harsh, not that new, his avatar looks like grown folks...

There have been two things bothering me lately ( not exclusive to this thread)

1) The Permission Nazis- Who tell all the new people they need permission everywhere to a point they start asking permission in areas that have been a YES for the past 30-40 years, and get a NO back in writing, written by someone who may or may not have the authority, and also probably has no idea what MDing involves...

2) Cover your holes- Unless in a forest or on a beech, "cover your holes" is very incomplete advice, I would rather hear, practice "no trace" digging techniques... I have see some "covered holes" that embarrass the hell out of me as a fellow MDer...

Sorry, rant over....

<*)))>{

If its a park you're wanting to hunt, talk to the public works guys that are always there or the director of public works(these are the people that actually manage the park and other city owned property!) due to massive amounts of vandalism over the years there has been new ordinances relating to the park here in my town, relating to vandalism, digging is vandalizing i dont care how you look at it, all i was told when i talk to the public works director about digging at the park, he just told me to fill in my holes and happy hunting.

Why do some people think they have to ask permission for every place to hunt? When it is public property I am going to hunt it and if they do not like it they will tell me to leave. Then I will go hunt some other public property.

Why do some people think they have to ask permission for every place to hunt? When it is public property I am going to hunt it and if they do not like it they will tell me to leave. Then I will go hunt some other public property.

Ia gree with you pointer, right on haven't been shoed away yet in 3 years

If there isn't a specific ordinance worded to disallow metal detectors, I would metal detect wherever I wanted to on public property. I would simply say "I am not altering any land, I am metal detecting, sorry I didn't know that it wasn't allowed."

Carry a small probe or hand digger, be neat, do not leave holes, go on sundays and always leave the area in better shape than you found it.

I have to add, I go to the local park on saturday morning, and along the bb courts is garbage from all the players. man I wish I had a camera, you compare what I am doing to that? I noticed more napkins, fried chicken wraps, burger king cups, gatorade tops and a host of other junk.

Lets be real, what we do is a lot less stressful to the environment .

Ask any bureaucrat for permission to do something, and their first (and second) answer is pretty much always going to be "No".

Go online and read through municipal regulations - if there are no *explicit* rules against detecting on public property, I'd just go for it. Be discreet, unobtrusive, polite, and careful with your holes.

I went another route when asking about my town. I went up to a police officer and asked him if there were any city ordinances against metal detecting. He said none that he knew of. So its free digging. Besides, its the police that are probably going to respond if you get called in and you have the info ahead of time if there are any ordinances from the people who will be confronting ya.

I went another route when asking about my town. I went up to a police officer and asked him if there were any city ordinances against metal detecting. He said none that he knew of. So its free digging. Besides, its the police that are probably going to respond if you get called in and you have the info ahead of time if there are any ordinances from the people who will be confronting ya.

Exactly what I always do. If there are no laws or ordinances that the police know of, then I do my thang, and they roll through, see me, and move on to do some real crime fighting!

As Mottz has stated, if you absolutely have to ask someone, don't ask "Can I metal detect there?" Say, "Are there any rules against metal detecting there?"

<*)))>{

My county says parks are strictly off limits to metal detecting and it is specified in the municipal code. We have huge parks where I am and while tearing up the grass with football games and soccer games or driving and parking cars on the grass, MDing is specifically called out as a forbidden activity.

So saying that "everyone" hunts them, that's just not the case and if it is, you could be breaking a law. Just saying. At least he asked.

better to beg forgiveness than ask permission

that's my mantra

I agree that the "permission nazi's" are going to wreck this for all of us

Back
Top Bottom