Bullet ID

mr_whipple

Found this the other day in an area that has given up quite a few different types bullets in the year that I've been doing this.

In researching, I've come across a few Hayes and Kerr bullets that bear a resemblance, but they're all smaller pistol bullets. This one measures approximately .89" in length, .58ish" diameter and weighs dead on an ounce on my scale. Measurements are a little sketchy since its not quite in its original shape... Not shown in the pic is the solid base.

I have the T&T Handbook and I don't see anything there, and M&M is coming up blank also unless I missed something.

Any ideas or direction I might look in?

Edit: Added another picture that I think shows the shape a little better

Attachments

• IMG_0790_1.JPG
    IMG_0790_1.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0792_1.JPG
    IMG_0792_1.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 182
Looks like a New Austrian to me. One of the Raleigh, NC bullets. A killer piece if lead if that's correct. I'll let some others confirm but that's my thought.

Nice score! At first glance, I though it was a Hayes, but the size knocks that out. I think Tony got it. My vote goes to Austrian also. Awesome find!

Hmm.. I've got a few New Austrians, but they're droppers... I'll look at this tomorrow after work. In the mean time, I found a federal infantry button and a piece of a hotchkiss today...

Looking at them side by side, I guess it is a New Austrian. Kinda smushed down from being fired. The obvious sometime eludes me...:facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_0794_1.JPG
    IMG_0794_1.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 101
Back
Top Bottom