Auivo headphones

Silversmith45

Elite Member
I like not being tied to my detector but lately my Auvio Headphones have been having issues. The stereo isn't working and i only have sound from one side and they have quit working completely with some detectors that I used them on before. By turning up the volume I can still use them on some. Once in a while while detecting the other side will suddenly cut back in for a short time. They never have worked with any of my Teknetics detectors. I have tried several different 1/4" adapters so I don't believe that is the problem. Has anyone had this problem before?

The problem is with the jack on the transmitter. I had the same issue, and I opened it up and replaced the jack with a pigtail that had a ¼" plug on it, thus eliminating the need for an adapter as well as fixing the missing audio.

The problem is with the jack on the transmitter. I had the same issue, and I opened it up and replaced the jack with a pigtail that had a ¼" plug on it, thus eliminating the need for an adapter as well as fixing the missing audio.

I just bought a package of those. I thought that they were regular adapters but found out they weren't. I put them up and now I can't find them.

I just bought a package of those. I thought that they were regular adapters but found out they weren't. I put them up and now I can't find them.
Dig 'em out!
Another advantage to doing the pigtail is being able to relocate the transmitter. Add a small piece of adhesive backed Velcro to the transmitter, and put the other side somewhere safe and protected on the detector.

I have a similar Auvio set up and this modification sounds helpful. Does this require soldering? Could you share a link to show the pigtail you used? Thanks.

I did the same exact mod to one of my Auvio units. Like Longhair says it is the transmitter jack. They are not very sturdy so if anyone owns a good working set you need to use an inline volume cord and always keep the transmitter plugged into the cord and leave the cord attatched. That way you are not putting strain on the jack and getting this issue everytime you unhook them from your detector to charge.
The mod to fix this issue is pretty straightforward. A magnifying lamp and very small soldeing iron sure helps.

I have a similar Auvio set up and this modification sounds helpful. Does this require soldering? Could you share a link to show the pigtail you used? Thanks.
Yes, it does require soldering the wire ends into the transmitter.
I just threw mine together with spare parts that I had laying around, but if I were to do it again I would use any that had a molded right angle stereo plug.

Getting the transmitter open without trashing it was the toughest part. After that it was merely a matter of figuring out which contacts to solder the wires to. And to take the stress off the soldered connections I used a tiny zip tie around the cable sheath that fit inside the transmitter case.

Note: The on/off switch button is easy to lose while the case is open, so be sure that it's in place before gluing things back together.

Thanks for the detailed response.

Yes, it does require soldering the wire ends into the transmitter.
I just threw mine together with spare parts that I had laying around, but if I were to do it again I would use any that had a molded right angle stereo plug.

Getting the transmitter open without trashing it was the toughest part. After that it was merely a matter of figuring out which contacts to solder the wires to. And to take the stress off the soldered connections I used a tiny zip tie around the cable sheath that fit inside the transmitter case.

Note: The on/off switch button is easy to lose while the case is open, so be sure that it's in place before gluing things back together.

Do they sell the transmitters separate in case I mess mine up more than it is? Sometimes my projects don't always turn out like I plan.

To the best of my knowledge you can't get them anymore. You might get lucky, and find one on Ebay, but that's about it.

If you're half way handy with a soldering iron you'll be fine. It's not that difficult.

How do you get the transmitter open?
That is the toughest part. I did my best to cut he glue joint between the case halves, then popped it apart. Some of the locating pins are probably going to break, but it doesn't matter because Super Glue will still hold it all back together just fine.

While I had mine apart I checked the numbers on the battery, because I figure that at some point it will need to be replaced. I was happy to find that direct replacements are available when the time comes that I need one, though it will be a while because I've got three sets of headphones and transmitters.

Back
Top Bottom