(updated) Gold Watch & 1st Barber Dime!! (pic heavy)

brassmonkee

Updated with more pics** Today , Palerider and I hit our park for a few hours... We pulled a ton of trash before I finally uncovered my 1st 1898 Barber Dime (as well as my oldest silver by 50 years)!!! As if my day wasn't already made, I came across a strong shallow target, sounding like a solid coin... but out of the dirt came this gold colored pocket watch with the name "Stella" engraved on the front.. I have not attempted to open it yet, I'm really worried about breaking it. I'm excited to find out who the maker is and if this thing is plated, solid, or what?! :?::shock::roll::cool::cool::cool: Enjoy these pics, and happy hunting!!

p.s. I didn't scratch the dime, looks like an old mark. :mad:

the watch opened with a gentle pry, and the inside was littered with a glass/plastic cover that had disintegrated over many years in the ground. the hinge was non-existent and the two halves separated when opened slowly. the numbers 645702 appear on the inside of the lid, and the word appears to be "LLOYDS" above the center of the face. It would clean up more but looks like it has taken alot of weather damage to the insides. i have not seen any other marks, but they could be there..

Attachments

• barber dime 1898 front.jpg
    barber dime 1898 front.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 636
  • barber back.jpg
    barber back.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 661
  • stella front.jpg
    stella front.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 597
  • both.jpg
    both.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 595
  • pocket back.jpg
    pocket back.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 644
  • lloyds or what1.jpg
    lloyds or what1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 535
  • 645702.jpg
    645702.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 542
  • old shards.jpg
    old shards.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 533
  • darker lloyds.jpg
    darker lloyds.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 544
The suspense is really killing me.. What is inside this thing and is it busted up or in good condition?? Palerider and I joked about finding a gold coin inside... I'm trying to open it, but being extremely gentle. It may be jammed.

Not open yet. I think it's jammed up with a little dirt.. do you guys suggest using tools on it? I have a small flat head bit that will fit into the crack, but I am really worried that I will damage it... My dad suggests I take it to a jeweler to be cleaned and opened up.

Although I'm dying to see what it looks like open I suggest waiting until you take it to a jeweler. Great looking watch and congrats on your first barber dime. Yours looks much better than mine.

My money is on it being an actual gold watch. 14k is my guess. A really nice piece. Keep us updated when you get it opened.

Congrats on the watch, must be gold or gold plated, otherwise it would not be that easily cleaned and nice looking. Many were brass back in the day. Congrats on the barber!

Thanks everyone.. *UPDATE!* SEE TOP OF THREAD FOR NEW PICS! ** the watch opened with a gentle pry, and the inside was littered with a glass? cover that had disintegrated over many years in the ground. the hinge was non-existent and the two halves separated when opened slowly. the numbers 645702 appear on the inside of the lid, and the word appears to be "LLOYDS" above the center of the face. It would clean up more but looks like it has taken alot of weather damage to the insides. i have not seen any other marks, but they could be there..

I still can't help but think that the cover is gold. Engraved ... with a serial ##. It looks like the corrosion on the inside of the lid is from the cover being bent downward onto the inner works. Ergo ... the shattered glass ...

Great Day

You had a great hunt getting that sweet Barber and a great looking watch. Not surprised that the crystal didn't hold up..but I think you have a gold watch there..let us know. Congradulations.

Back
Top Bottom