Button ID

Mg240

Found at an 1800s site, missing shank.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

3a0cacd232d10d5feeb1f4f046f7224c.jpg

There is no back,sorry. It's the front half of a two piece.

I can't find a navy button that matches yours. Most all navy buttons have the eagle's claws grasping the anchor, while yours have something in the talons. The back being missing probably indicated it is an iron back, which would be a fashion button. The navy button was the most copied of all military buttons, used very heavily on yacht club blazers, etc.

I can't find a navy button that matches yours. Most all navy buttons have the eagle's claws grasping the anchor, while yours have something in the talons. The back being missing probably indicated it is an iron back, which would be a fashion button. The navy button was the most copied of all military buttons, used very heavily on yacht club blazers, etc.
The eagle is like the eagle on The Great Seal. Arrows and an olive branch. The site is old and in the middle of the woods in central Illinois, so Yacht club is a far stretch, but I could see it being military because the eagle is clutching arrows and an olive branch.

+1. Many variations of this button, most of them civilian. With back likely rusted out, it is most probably not a military button.

+1. Many variations of this button, most of them civilian. With back likely rusted out, it is most probably not a military button.
Thank you for the response, a little disappointed, but still a cool find for the middle of the woods.

Thank you for the response, a little disappointed, but still a cool find for the middle of the woods.

Definitely still a cool find. I have a couple myself.

Back
Top Bottom