• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First ever silver half and an old Russian immigrant

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
The last three hunts produced some more amazing finds from the peace dollar field! I met up with my hunting buddy a few days ago there and hunted for about 1.5 hours. I found a couple of newer pennies and a few clad dimes, but my big finds for that day were a 1910 wheat and a bent 1917D wheat. My hunting buddy scored HUGE with something I would never expect to find around here: a silver 1916 Russian 15 Kopek!

101_4185.jpg

I went over there again yesterday to an area that I have been gridding, and scored 1955D & 1954S wheats, plus a 1946D rosie! On my way to have coffee with another buddy this morning, I stopped by there for a 45 minute quickie (since it was along the way), and did one pass on the grid finding 2 clad dimes and some junk. I walked over to near where my hunting buddy found the Kopek, and got a deep 44-46 signal on the 705. I was thinking that it might be a bottle cap or the dreaded beer/pop can that Ive dug a few times around here, but the signal was steady so I dove in. I started picking it up on the pin pointer about 5" down, and then dug around it to scoop out the 1954D Franklin half. My first ever silver half!

101_4188.jpg

We're still trying figure out why we're finding all of these nice coins and relics here. The oldest map I have from Historical Aerials is a 50's topo that doesn't show any old houses in the area, so Ill have to venture over to the library. It could also have been a favorite place for picnics or church gatherings many years ago. The goodies are pretty well dispersed, and it appears that hunting in any location with patients, is bound to produce results.

Thanks for looking, and HH!

Nice finds, can't wait to see that you come up with on the rest of the grid. Im looking for a silver half still , found a whole, just not a half.

Thanks you everyone for the comments. Theres a lot of acreage to hunt here to keep us busy for awhile. There are not a lot of good sounding targets, so its easy to explore each one. I hope theres a lot more to come!

The last three hunts produced some more amazing finds from the peace dollar field! I met up with my hunting buddy a few days ago there and hunted for about 1.5 hours. I found a couple of newer pennies and a few clad dimes, but my big finds for that day were a 1910 wheat and a bent 1917D wheat. My hunting buddy scored HUGE with something I would never expect to find around here: a silver 1916 Russian 15 Kopek!

View attachment 363628

I went over there again yesterday to an area that I have been gridding, and scored 1955D & 1954S wheats, plus a 1946D rosie! On my way to have coffee with another buddy this morning, I stopped by there for a 45 minute quickie (since it was along the way), and did one pass on the grid finding 2 clad dimes and some junk. I walked over to near where my hunting buddy found the Kopek, and got a deep 44-46 signal on the 705. I was thinking that it might be a bottle cap or the dreaded beer/pop can that Ive dug a few times around here, but the signal was steady so I dove in. I started picking it up on the pin pointer about 5" down, and then dug around it to scoop out the 1954D Franklin half. My first ever silver half!

View attachment 363629

We're still trying figure out why we're finding all of these nice coins and relics here. The oldest map I have from Historical Aerials is a 50's topo that doesn't show any old houses in the area, so Ill have to venture over to the library. It could also have been a favorite place for picnics or church gatherings many years ago. The goodies are pretty well dispersed, and it appears that hunting in any location with patients, is bound to produce results.

Thanks for looking, and HH!

Nice half and a hard one to get as well.

Great finds!
Would you happen to know the diameter of that coin compared to a dime?

Its about the size of a nickle, and a little thicker than a dime. Like that copper you just found, it boggles our minds that something like this could be found here.

Good hunting Tommy.

It just goes to show that anything can be any place.

We should start a thread showing the coin oddities we've dug.

This could be interesting.

American coins have been found deep in the Europe countryside.

Coins from Australia pop up in the USA.

Ancient Chinese coins found their way to the states.... and the list would go on.

Back
Top Bottom