Gotta be some silver, don't ya think?

Hound46

I'm hunting an old country 1 room school site. It's now a mowed pasture. Very little trash. In 2 short hunts I've pulled 3 Indian head cents...1906... The other 2 are soaking, and a 1909 wheat penny.

I'm thinking there has to be some silver waiting for me. Do you agree?:yes:

Anything is possible. :) Rarely did kids get more than pennies back then. :( You just never know!

Good luck out there!
G2M

Who knows what you will find it has to be in the ground and you have to get your coil over it but I would bet its there listen for all faint sounds and dig all repeatable targets I did this past weekend in a place I have hunted a lot except the one spot I did the last time that I had skipped over many times because of the location and was I glad I did take a chance dug the first Half dollar I ever found and it was a Barber so you just never know:yes:

We've got to get some rain. It's so dry and hard I've got to be careful or the lesche will bend. Some nice fall rain and time walking the site should be good.

Good point about the kids not carrying anything of real value. What other types of coins besides Indian head cents were kids carrying around 1905? Wat was the nickel of the day? Any other interesting coins to dream about?

one room school house

You got to consider what a penny or nickle would buy back then. My dad was a teacher in one and lived in a small trailer on the property for very little money when he started out teaching.You might find some nice relics since trash would have been dumped near by.

I'm using quick mask so the screen is pretty open, but I'm only digging coin signals or really repeatable quick/sharp signals. If I lived in an area with more history I'd dig the relic signals.

I can't imagine school kids back then carrying more than pennies.

Hell, I generally hunt just one park that goes back to the early 1700's. There is on section where I have pulled out several 1860's IH's and an 1837 LC. Haven't found a silver in this section yet. I have spend hours rummaging through it. I have only found three silver coins in this park (a 1902, and 1907 Barber Quarter) and a 1917 Merc. Found loads of musket balls. No old silver. I am figuring the park was hit hard long before I started hunting it.

Perhaps you are not the first or even 20th person to hunt that school house.

We shall see. As soon as the crops come out, many many more spots will open back up. This site is old enough that no modern coins are expected, which is kind of fun.

We shall see. As soon as the crops come out, many many more spots will open back up. This site is old enough that no modern coins are expected, which is kind of fun.

I love sites with little to no chance of clad. When that sweet sound of a coin passes under the coil, its really exciting. :yes:

Good luck!
G2M

I've hunted a few sites like that as well. Seems the good targets are few and far between but sometimes those few targets make all the trash targets seem tolerable. :)

Trash? What trash? I just dug a barber quarter! As my pouch sags from all the big nails and iron I have dug. :lol:

LOL. I find my new mantra while hunting is...my etrac isn't awesome because it tells me when to dig, it's awesome because it tells me when not to dig!:yes:

I seem to be a sucker for the shotgun shell brass. Heck, I probably shot 3/4 of them, but even though they sound like brass, this one time it may be something I've never encountered.....and valuable:shock:

I seem to be a sucker for the shotgun shell brass. Heck, I probably shot 3/4 of them, but even though they sound like brass, this one time it may be something I've never encountered.....and valuable:shock:

That is exactly right. :yes:

I have dug some nice V nickels thinking I was going to dig another head stamp. You really don't know what could be down there. Could be a nice victorian era gold ring. :yes:

G2M

Back
Top Bottom