Anybody ever had to pay to hunt a homestead??

farmall

Forum Supporter
I work with a part time farmer that owns quite a few sections of land. I know that he has at least 6 old houses or what's left of them. When I asked about MD'ing those places and he thought for a second and then stuck out his hand in the "how much you gonna pay me motion".

Has anyone ever had to pay to hunt private land?

I guess he didn't get all of that land for doing anything for free.

I never have, but if you gotta pay the p&@%#, I think that $5 a day is enough... no more! :lol:

I'm not against paying and I agree with Krom, 5.00 is enough. On the other hand I do beleive there enough place's to hunt without paying. HH

Buy him a bottle of night train probably top shelf for him... No way would I pay anyone to detect... :D

Jus' get on his good side. Find out his interest. Talk about something that he likes to talk about... and like it wether you like it or not. He'll probably come around. Some of them do, after a fashion (not meaning the Amish people, I mean jus' people). Heck... you could even cut a deal with him about the finds.
If none of that stuff works... get his daughter pregnant, then you'll have family rights to the land! J/K :lol:

The question of paying to detect has come up on UK forums a few times.
Personally I'd not have a problem, with paying a small fee, after all you pay to detect at a rally !
There are those who wouldn't pay a penny, out of principle.

Our club did have one farm which it had been detecting on for about 12yrs. One day when we were detecting, a chap drew up in his car and said, he didn't want us there any more. Our club chairman went and saw him, and it turned out to be the nephew of the man who had previously run the farm. He had now taken over the running, and said that if the club wanted to carry on detecting there, and on his other land (he has thousands of acres in the south east of England) it would cost us £2000 a year ($3,550).
We said, No Thanks. :wow:

That doesn't seem to bad if your a large club.
Since the news went round re the big money to be made from detecting days (say 200 at £15 each =£3000 $5500) many farmers want £5-£10 to walk the fields with a detector. Nine out of ten farms have little of interest in the West and it could take several trips to decide a site is not productive so it works out quite expensive.
A few years ago you only had to buy the odd drink and hand out bottles of Whisky at Christmas.

Brian said:
That doesn't seem to bad if your a large club.
Since the news went round re the big money to be made from detecting days (say 200 at £15 each =£3000 $5500)

Not bad if you say it quick :grin:

But when your club membership is around 50, and only about 12 come out on club digs :wow:

For $5 he better let me hunt it anytime I want and as many places as I want :roll: Personally I'd never pay, but then again...GL with those sites and let us know what you find.

I'm with you Okie, never pay to hunt anything . There are to many places to go "No Charge" And with no gaurantee you find anything of value anyway. Just read the posts of valuable stuff found on beaches , in the woods, abandoned lots, for instance. Your chances of finding a keeper are just as good on the strip of grass between the road and sidewalk of any town as they are on any other property. Dirt gets moved around and the valuables go with it. Sounds to much like another activity you can have free that someone wants to charge for.......................Gil

...BUT... (IMHO)
What if it's a 200+ year old farmstead that's been in the same family for generations, and the owners have never let anyone touch it before? Do you think that would be worth a meazly $5 (per day, per week... whatever's decided) in consideration of what you stand to find?
I've never dished it out before, and I don't ever expect to, but this could be an iffy situation that could be very profitable for the money.

It's odd, but I was thinking about this just last night. I have several farm fields that had CW camps in them that I can't get permission to hunt, and have thought about "leasing" hunting right just like deer hunters do.

scott

I understand what you're saying Krom and I agree to some extent, but he'd really have to research the place to know that.

That's very true, OD. The homework can be grueling at times... but we are in "studyhall" right now. (See all them spitballs on the ceiling?) :D

I look at it this way...

First off I posted I would never pay anyone to detect their land and that sticks.

If a property owner wants to charge you to detect then he probably has already charged others cutting down your chances for success... I water detect and in the summer you have to pay to get into the beaches around here and I haven't paid yet and I will not pay, I will wait until Fall or after 6pm....

Say you go detecting and pay whatever the charge is and come away with nothing, how happy will you be? Do you think the landowner will give you a refund? ;)

Its so easy to find land to hunt... I have a list so long with spots it will take me years to hit them all...

All pure speculation on our part, that the man would accept 5 bucks. If he did and he was that kind of a^&#$%#, he would be watching you with bi-noks and how long after you put a small item in your pocket would he be raising the rent and demanding a cut...JMHO......
not worth the money or effort........Gil

Cfmct-PI said:
Its so easy to find land to hunt... I have a list so long with spots it will take me years to hit them all...
Same here, Craig.
(Like I said... I've never dished it out before, and I don't ever expect to!)

trobaughokc said:
I've not paid a private individual, but have purchased a $5 yearlong MD permit at a local state park.

Get out of here! They have those in Oklahoma? Or is that just an OKC thing?

Back
Top Bottom