“Just a couple more swings” mentality pays off!

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
Yesterday was a fairly busy day to try and get a hunt in - work in the morning until about noon, an appointment in town at 1:30pm, then my kids are out of school staring at 3:30. I’ve got a permission at an old ghost town site in a farmers field that I’ve been posting about here - time is running out before the farmer plants for the year, so I’ve been trying to squeeze in as much time that I can at the location. The weather was nice, so I was determined to shoehorn a hunt at the site into the day - after work, I buzzed out to the site, getting there in near record time and ready to swing by 12:20. Knowing I had to clear out with enough time to make it back to town for my appointment at 1:30, I set the alarm on my phone to blare at 1pm, then I happily started hunting.

I started out with a headstamp and a couple other odd relics and bits of copper/brass. About 20 minutes in, I got my first good signal, ringing up in the mid-70s and a little bouncy, but indicating shallow at 4”. Sure enough, out comes an Indian - 1904 - with a beautiful green patina!

Continuing to swing along, I dug a couple more bits of copper/brass until all too soon, the alarm I set was going off....dang it! Well, being the addicted detectorist that I am, I thought what most of us have thought at one point or other - “Just a few more swings!” I shut the alarm down and kept going for a few more steps, figuring I would just find some natural landmark to stop at within a few minutes. Well, I didn't move more than 5 feet before I got over another good signal. Honestly, it sounded like another Indian, just more bouncy - mostly in the mid to upper 70s, but occasionally blipping up into the low 80s, showing 4” depth. I dug a quick plug, then had a little trouble tracking the target down as I sifted through the dirt. I finally broke open the plug, and saw the coin - and it wasn’t green!!

I was thrilled to recognize outline of Lady Liberty, and she’s sitting down!! :D It’s super worn, but the date’s still easily read - 1861! My first seated silver, my oldest silver, and the first silver I’ve found at the ghost town site!

I was thrilled with the find, but still tore myself away to pack up and hightail it into town - and still made my appointment with 1 minute to spare! :yes: But now that I’ve gotten rewarded for swinging a little longer than I should have, I’m picturing a lot of late arrivals to appointments in my future!! :laughing:

Attachments

• F55E6AA1-DDCD-4901-BD59-5A742E328066.jpg
    F55E6AA1-DDCD-4901-BD59-5A742E328066.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 332
  • 3A9B662E-FD6E-489F-AB7E-833DCFFCE64F.jpg
    3A9B662E-FD6E-489F-AB7E-833DCFFCE64F.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 322
  • 5CE6210C-07C5-4ED2-95D6-1EF5324D847E.jpg
    5CE6210C-07C5-4ED2-95D6-1EF5324D847E.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 307
  • BD31F090-C68B-44B8-B987-81931289DE7E.jpg
    BD31F090-C68B-44B8-B987-81931289DE7E.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 320
I hadn't read your post, yet, and the first picture of the dime... I missed the dime.

I was like, "WHAT? He found a Garrett Pro Pointer??!"

LOL

Yesterday was a fairly busy day to try and get a hunt in - work in the morning until about noon, an appointment in town at 1:30pm, then my kids are out of school staring at 3:30. I’ve got a permission at an old ghost town site in a farmers field that I’ve been posting about here - time is running out before the farmer plants for the year, so I’ve been trying to squeeze in as much time that I can at the location. The weather was nice, so I was determined to shoehorn a hunt at the site into the day - after work, I buzzed out to the site, getting there in near record time and ready to swing by 12:20. Knowing I had to clear out with enough time to make it back to town for my appointment at 1:30, I set the alarm on my phone to blare at 1pm, then I happily started hunting.

I started out with a headstamp and a couple other odd relics and bits of copper/brass. About 20 minutes in, I got my first good signal, ringing up in the mid-70s and a little bouncy, but indicating shallow at 4”. Sure enough, out comes an Indian - 1904 - with a beautiful green patina!

Continuing to swing along, I dug a couple more bits of copper/brass until all too soon, the alarm I set was going off....dang it! Well, being the addicted detectorist that I am, I thought what most of us have thought at one point or other - “Just a few more swings!” I shut the alarm down and kept going for a few more steps, figuring I would just find some natural landmark to stop at within a few minutes. Well, I didn't move more than 5 feet before I got over another good signal. Honestly, it sounded like another Indian, just more bouncy - mostly in the mid to upper 70s, but occasionally blipping up into the low 80s, showing 4” depth. I dug a quick plug, then had a little trouble tracking the target down as I sifted through the dirt. I finally broke open the plug, and saw the coin - and it wasn’t green!!

I was thrilled to recognize outline of Lady Liberty, and she’s sitting down!! :D It’s super worn, but the date’s still easily read - 1861! My first seated silver, my oldest silver, and the first silver I’ve found at the ghost town site!

I was thrilled with the find, but still tore myself away to pack up and hightail it into town - and still made my appointment with 1 minute to spare! :yes: But now that I’ve gotten rewarded for swinging a little longer than I should have, I’m picturing a lot of late arrivals to appointments in my future!! :laughing:

Nice job good to see that you are getting the swing of things with your AT Max. I have never found 1800s U.S. silver before or a seated nice going.:whoohoo:

Wow! Big Congrats! Those Indian Heads and Seated Dimes are great to find!

Thanks, beephead! I’m really enjoying the Indian heads...I had only found one prior to hunting this site, and now I’ve pulled out nine from this site alone across several hunts! I never get tired of seeing those greenies pop out :grin: And, of course, the seated just floored me - really nice to find one, regardless of condition!

Congrats!

Thanks, CW!

I hadn't read your post, yet, and the first picture of the dime... I missed the dime.

I was like, "WHAT? He found a Garrett Pro Pointer??!"

LOL

Yeah, I guess that silver is a lot more camouflaged than I thought in that pic! And my pinpointer sure is filthy enough to look dug :lol: For anyone else wondering where it’s at, the blade of grass serves as a nice pointer to the silver ;)

Thanks for the reminder, matmit! I meant to add a couple to that thread earlier, but then I kept finding more :cool: I know, I know...tough problem to have, right? :D

Adding the nine Injuns found at the site to date as soon as I finish this reply!

Nice job good to see that you are getting the swing of things with your AT Max. I have never found 1800s U.S. silver before or a seated nice going.:whoohoo:

Thanks, Dan! Yep, time and experience on the machine was the key, I think. Also, more time on this particular site has really helped too - I feel much more comfortable with the extra mineralization of the farm field and the unique trashiness of the location now that I’ve been out there a few times. It’s definitely a different style of hunting than yards, parks, and curb strips!

WTG, nice hunt. Silver always makes the hunt a nice one.

Thanks, MoBob! No doubt about that...a hunt that nets silver is never a bad one!

Great finds! "Just a couple of more swings/casts/minutes in a stand" mentality has put many of us in the doghouse!! You did good!

Great finds! "Just a couple of more swings/casts/minutes in a stand" mentality has put many of us in the doghouse!! You did good!

It has almost landed me in many places myself, including the bottom of a well.:laughing: I prefer when it works out like it did here with airmettango.

Back
Top Bottom