Cen-Tek Pinpointer MOD?

mrbensteele

Ok, I know there are many vids about how to modify this exact pinpointer but none delve into how to increase depth. My question is, If I connected More laminated copper wire to the tip, would it work. Imagine this, the coil in the tip has a certain amount of wire already on it, what im asking is, if adding more would help or not. I have several fixtures from motors, they are flat boards with individual copper coils each connecting to each other and to a small connector. Essentially for that im asking if adding a makeshift coil assembly would enhance it? So theres 2 questions, please give me your opinions on both, what ever happens I intend to create tethered version so I dont have to hold the units box only the shaft.

Thanks

PS anyone had any luck modding a Zercon Stud Finder EDGE as a pinpointer, I tried and failed

Very doubtful adding more wire will be a positive experience...

There is the "Nickel trick", used for the ProPointer, and will work for most any other. Still don't see much use in more range, mostly I need less range from the Propointer, the Centech does just fine. I pinpoint with my main machine, while standing up. I keep going over the target, until I'm pretty sure of where the target should be, straight down, and how deep. I mark the spot with a little plastic stake, dig around it. The blade of my digger is 7", so try so give myself enough room, not to gouge the target. Don't need more than an inch, maybe two from a pinpointer...

what I did was I put a kids ring that I found on the shaft. you can press the button and slide the ring down the shaft until the pin pointer sounds off then slide the ring back up the shaft until the pin pointer goes quite. that will about double the depth of the pin pointer. you can put an O-Ring on the shaft so the ring can't fall off the shaft

Attachments

• DSCI0146.jpg
    DSCI0146.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 938
  • DSCI0147.jpg
    DSCI0147.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 785
interesting idea with the ring, i wonder how it helps but ill give it a go.

also rather than gaining distance, what about general reception, like picking up the target better

Gaining distance= picking up the target better...

If you gain distance, you will also be able to find smaller targets better, it simply runs "hotter"

<*)))>{

I Use the pinpointer on the main detector to get super close to the target and dig to the depth indicated, flip the plug ( 3 sided hinged type ) and if I don't see it, dig the bottom of the hole to aerate the dirt for the grass roots to take hold and use the handheld pp. if I don't get a signal, I pinpoint with the main detector again. I am sure you've all had the "moving" target happen to you too.

OK, how about a proximity sensor

So i was watching several vids on youtube and pointers like the garrett have a proximity sensor that emits a beep which quickens the closer you are to the target. Anyone try this, if so please post how with pics plz

thanks

Also what proximity sensor would provide this ability?

So i was watching several vids on youtube and pointers like the garrett have a proximity sensor that emits a beep which quickens the closer you are to the target. Anyone try this, if so please post how with pics plz

thanks

Also what proximity sensor would provide this ability?

It's a VCO (voltage-controlled-oscillator), which I suspect is implemented with a microcontroller (ADC, analog-digital converter, PWM, pulse-width modulation). A simple and cheap 555 timer chip could be configured as a VCO, to drive the beeper, or a vibrator motor, even both, output current is plenty. Believe there is a Centech thread, with schematics, and this particular mod, which will spare you a whole lot of hunting on the circuit board, for the best point on the circuit, to pull the input signal for the VCO. Should be the output from one of the opamps.

Thought about doing this, before I bought a Garrett, which failed after 7 months... Went back to using the Centech, didn't find the range function all that important, after using it. You are within an inch or two of the target with the Centech, which is close enough. Doing the mod, just because I could, and further undermining the awesomeness of the holy Propointer, wouldn't really be productive. Just leave it as a fancy gimmick, to justify a $127.50 accessory.

pinpointer mods done

Ok, so i was intrigued by the mods done on other peoples Cen Tek Pinpointers so when I got mine from harbor frieght, I though id do mine a little different but the same technically. First I found an old On/Off button that I had take from something else, didnt work so i reassembled it, tested to make sure it worked and it did. carefully snipped apart the original crappy switch while still attached to the pointer that was I could salvage the connector that remained soldered to the wires, unfortunately the right wire was weak so I re-soldered just to make sure it held.
After the old button was in pieces I saved the original button collar. I soldered the new button to the existing connctors and host glued the collar to the button. This left me with the button level with the collar so i needed a rubber topper so I used a hollowed out rubber Laptop pad, you know the little footie thing under to give traction.
Well I glue it to the button and it worked perfectly. Good thing about this button, its easily repairable.
Second was to limit the squeelers volume which I glued a foam pad, take muted to much. The last was the vibratory motor I salvages from an old but new phone. I have to solder my own connections but it works perfectly, Soldered it into the "BZ" copacitor next to a spot labeled MOTOR for which the motor holes didnt work, but BZ did.
I do plan to get a less finicky buzzer control knob, something with tension so its not so easy to turn it, and also maybe making this probe into a probe style with cord, who knows. Enjoy the pics if they decide to show.
Need to install firmer 9V connector too, the one inside is cheap.

UnModded/

Modded/

On/Off Button with original wires to be snipped

The Finished Mod/

Back
Top Bottom