One reason why the Deus is so popular.

ghound

Elite Member
Had my first run on some plough, only had an hour or so to spare but this is defo the machine for it, no wonder it's the most popular machine in the UK for worked ground.
I was running pitch turned up to around 500 for a high pitch squeal, disc at 5.5, reactivity 2.5, 12khz, silencer -1, 90 sens and a fast swing.
A pretty quiet field but i got a few finds, the pitch tone really makes the targets jump out, the lightweight of Deus also comes into play when the ground conditions are like this.

2 thimbals, one inside the other, a 1914 penny and a well worn KG111 half penny.

Attachments

• 2017-09-04 19.04.32.jpg
    2017-09-04 19.04.32.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 370
  • 2017-09-04 19.05.21.jpg
    2017-09-04 19.05.21.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 325
  • 2017-09-04 19.07.52.jpg
    2017-09-04 19.07.52.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 317
  • 2017-09-06 13.34.58.jpg
    2017-09-06 13.34.58.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Detecting is a popular hobby for many retired folk in the UK, i can certainly understand an old lad in his 60's-70's not wanting to swing a big heavy machine on ploughed ground for 8hrs, saying that, the 13" coil is a different story, badly effects the balance of the Deus.

Detecting is a popular hobby for many retired folk in the UK, i can certainly understand an old lad in his 60's-70's not wanting to swing a big heavy machine on ploughed ground for 8hrs, saying that, the 13" coil is a different story, badly effects the balance of the Deus.

I think every beefy coil is going to affect the balance, somewhat. I've looked at counter-balancing my rig for my big coil, but the truth is, it's easier to swing unbalanced, simply because of arm fatigue from weight. Besides that, the physics of a device in motion remove a lot of the "unbalanced" feel. Just get it swinging and it kind of coasts along doing it's thing. I've found I now take wider/longer swings for more coverage between stopping and starting the swing. Helps some.

Trying to balance it out, though, just exhausted me. Total weight is pretty important... so is using the arm cuff strap. On my first rig, I didn't use the cuff strap (it was pretty light, and not too bad to swing). When I upgraded to a mid-range device, the balance was worse, but I still didn't use the cuff (just got a stronger grip). Only when I upgraded the coil, did I really discover how amazing the cuff strap is for weight distribution during a swing. if that cuff is tight on your arm (not so tight that it cuts circulation, just firm against it), it'll take a WHOLE lot of weight off the arm.) Took only a few outings to get used to the "feel" of the cuff, but WELL worth it in arm and hand fatigue.

The physics involved, are a bit tricky, as it seems counter-intuitive that the cuff strap would do anything since the leverage point of your hand and a heavy nose pulls down on the nose (which would push the arm cuff UP on the bottom of your arm, as you grip the device), but it most certainly does. The strap stabilizes the whole set of equipment, so instead of using your grip to stabilize the device during the swing, you can actually open your fingers and just let the leverage do the work (very little grip required with the strap on, and the device in motion). By keeping the coil level (no slop in the cuff area), This allows you to truly just use the grip as a leverage point, instead of having to stabilize the actual machine WITH your grip.

Bottom line here, is that for many detectorists (maybe not you, but others reading), you can compensate a LOT for the unbalanced nature of your equipment by properly using the arm cuff strap. It may feel weird, like you have to crawl your arm out of it to dig, but you'll get the hang of pointing your equipment to the side, and simply sliding your arm in and out (it's a very fluid natural motion, that way, btw).

This video is not originally designed around sliding my arm in and out of the cuff, but you can clearly see it's not an issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=072vXxug-Rk

Cheers,

Skippy

Nice ones ghound.

Oh oh,,another Deus thread.
Just saying...

The Deus is a great detector TNSS. I see more people satisfied with them than not. One of my club members has one though and he doesn't want to take the time to learn it. He uses it for 5 minutes then gets pissed off and puts it back in his truck and gets out his ATP. I told him to learn it and get good with it and he refuses. Don't know about you but if I was going to invest that much in a detector I would want to learn it inside and out.

It's not often that you purchase a high end detector and they won't perform. I told him it will perform but it's going to take more time than an ATP. Meh, his loss. If he ever offers it to me for a discounted rate, I'm going to snatch it up.

The Deus is a great detector TNSS. I see more people satisfied with them than not. One of my club members has one though and he doesn't want to take the time to learn it. He uses it for 5 minutes then gets pissed off and puts it back in his truck and gets out his ATP. I told him to learn it and get good with it and he refuses. Don't know about you but if I was going to invest that much in a detector I would want to learn it inside and out.

It's not often that you purchase a high end detector and they won't perform. I told him it will perform but it's going to take more time than an ATP. Meh, his loss. If he ever offers it to me for a discounted rate, I'm going to snatch it up.

Some folks some times they feel insecure,,especially when they are hunting with a bud.
Like they may get out hunted or embarrassed.
And if they do get out hunted, they want to place blame on the new to them detector.

All I can say,,if a person wants Deus tips,,there are plenty here on this forum and other forums I have posted.

If a person wants to learn solely on their own,,by all means ok by me.

It does take time.
I try and cheat somewhat, by going to already hard hunted sites.
Don't want to be locating the easy stuff, tells me very little on how a detector reacts,,big pic wise.

Maybe he will offer up his Deus to you.
All it would probably take is a killer find with his At Pro for him to off the Deus.

Some folks some times they feel insecure,,especially when they are hunting with a bud.
Like they may get out hunted or embarrassed.
And if they do get out hunted, they want to place blame on the new to them detector.

All I can say,,if a person wants Deus tips,,there are plenty here on this forum and other forums I have posted.

If a person wants to learn solely on their own,,by all means ok by me.

It does take time.
I try and cheat somewhat, by going to already hard hunted sites.
Don't want to be locating the easy stuff, tells me very little on how a detector reacts,,big pic wise.

Maybe he will offer up his Deus to you.
All it would probably take is a killer find with his At Pro for him to off the Deus.

Ok, TNSS. Deus vs Impact vs Rutus. Which one are you taking ? And why ?

Ok, TNSS. Deus vs Impact vs Rutus. Which one are you taking ? And why ?

Alright.

Impact - sites with mixed history that have trash
Sites with rusty tin.
Sites where digging is limited
Impact best modern trash Hunter out of the 3.

Deus milder ground LF coils
Seems Deus with LF coils can strike coin shaped pretty good medium minerlized soil ( coin orientation can be a factor though)
Open field relic hunting
Areas with loads of nails and iron
Older areas coin hunting, where digging is more unlimited.

Deus ground with medium minerlized and higher (HF coils)
Open field relic hunting
Areas with loads of iron and nails
Older areas where digging is more unlimited.

Rutus
Can be used in sites with mixed history where there is trash for coin, jewelry, relic.
Concentric coil gives good performance around crown caps,,meter presentation.
Open field relic hunting,,can be used in higher minerlized soil but user will leave some objects behind Deus will find with HF coil(s).

All good detectors

nice finds! your doing good with that machine. I love that pitch myself too. thanks for the tip!
Had my first run on some plough, only had an hour or so to spare but this is defo the machine for it, no wonder it's the most popular machine in the UK for worked ground.
I was running pitch turned up to around 500 for a high pitch squeal, disc at 5.5, reactivity 2.5, 12khz, silencer -1, 90 sens and a fast swing.
A pretty quiet field but i got a few finds, the pitch tone really makes the targets jump out, the lightweight of Deus also comes into play when the ground conditions are like this.

2 thimbals, one inside the other, a 1914 penny and a well worn KG111 half penny.

One reason why the Deus is so popular

If popular, means, many, common, accepted...

A loud couple/few does not make "popular"...

If something is so popular, why so many comparisons and sales pitches lately with lesser expensive, (far more "popular") machines?

Just kidding...:laughing:

Cool oldies though, congrats!

<°)))>{

Alright.

Impact - sites with mixed history that have trash
Sites with rusty tin.
Sites where digging is limited
Impact best modern trash Hunter out of the 3.

Deus milder ground LF coils
Seems Deus with LF coils can strike coin shaped pretty good medium minerlized soil ( coin orientation can be a factor though)
Open field relic hunting
Areas with loads of nails and iron
Older areas coin hunting, where digging is more unlimited.

Deus ground with medium minerlized and higher (HF coils)
Open field relic hunting
Areas with loads of iron and nails
Older areas where digging is more unlimited.

Rutus
Can be used in sites with mixed history where there is trash for coin, jewelry, relic.
Concentric coil gives good performance around crown caps,,meter presentation.
Open field relic hunting,,can be used in higher minerlized soil but user will leave some objects behind Deus will find with HF coil(s).

All good detectors

SO the Rutus and Impact are pretty close ? Deus is the go behind and pick up what's remaining ?

WOW - That's exactly what happened with me and the CTX3030!!:shock: I had one for about 9 months but just could not get comfortable enough with it. back to my AT PRO every time:yes:

WOW - That's exactly what happened with me and the CTX3030!!:shock: I had one for about 9 months but just could not get comfortable enough with it. back to my AT PRO every time:yes:

Some friendly advice here for folks who have experienced.

When you get a new detector.
Leave your older( one you are more familiar with at HOME.

If you don't,, you know what will happen???
You'll be a grabbing for it.

Instead fly solo with your new detector,,,force yourself to learn.
I have seen this,,not a pretty picture either.

Going for the crutch will really slow down your learning with your new detector.

My main detecting buddy has an AT Pro and a CTX. I can't tell you how many times he wanted to trade in the CTX. His brother gave it to him for Christmas 3 years ago. Every time we were out hunting and he used the CTX, he would cuss it and want to trade it in.

BUT, he kept it and began to learn the machine. Now he's pretty good with it. He's the best hunter I've ever seen with the AT Pro. He finds more relics and silver than any person I know with any detector. He's been detecting for 30 years.

I love the ATP and I'm looking forward to the Max. However I will say, the CTX is by far not even close the best salt water beach machine I've ever seen.

You eschewing the CTX and hunting with the ATP tells me what I already knew. A lot of hunters like it simple and fun and the bottom line is.....we're in it to have fun. Detecting is the most relaxing thing I do.

I know this cat with an old Ace 350..

He'll, through years of prior experience, and knowing his current machine, with a Nel coil... Will more often than not, find better/more stuff, at old hunted out spots, than my ATP, and my buddy's CTX...

Depth and a lose interpretation of targets is what happens, on the machine side IMO.. Better luck? Sheer years of experience?

Either way, I love seeing any types of underdogs kick it!

<°)))>{

I know this cat with an old Ace 350..

He'll, through years of prior experience, and knowing his current machine, with a Nel coil... Will more often than not, find better/more stuff, at old hunted out spots, than my ATP, and my buddy's CTX...

Depth and a lose interpretation of targets is what happens, on the machine side IMO.. Better luck? Sheer years of experience?

Either way, I love seeing any types of underdogs kick it!

<°)))>{

I think experience trumps all. PERIOD !!

I have seen my bud break my brothers heart with my bud using F5 Fisher.
My brother using Etrac and White's V3i.

My brother doesn't think coil time means much.

Yet he keeps getting beat up but the F5 user.

I just sit back and grin.
Rather amusing.

Back
Top Bottom