Which detector to get after the F2?

Had a much better experience today with it. Lowered my sens to around 50 and my thresh to -3 and got a much better response out of it. Got $2.53 in clad and a silver earring with what looks like opal stone. Was another quick hunt but feeling better about it. Hoping to get out to a school and a field in my neighborhood where I found the 1881 IHP with the F2 that seems baron. Fingers crossed the F70 wakes the field up! :-)

Oh and I can't remember if I was at 50 or 60 sens but I did get a zinc penny out of the sand at 6"-7".

Had a much better experience today with it. Lowered my sens to around 50 and my thresh to -3 and got a much better response out of it. Got $2.53 in clad and a silver earring with what looks like opal stone. Was another quick hunt but feeling better about it. Hoping to get out to a school and a field in my neighborhood where I found the 1881 IHP with the F2 that seems baron. Fingers crossed the F70 wakes the field up! :-)

Oh and I can't remember if I was at 50 or 60 sens but I did get a zinc penny out of the sand at 6"-7".

And this was after changing just a couple of things.
A hundred combinations of adjustments available to tune it in even better, and you only have to find a single decent one for your dirt and conditions which is fun and not hard at all.

Like the old rabbit ear antennas, just sitting there one way you might hate the picture but by fiddling a bit, adjusting little things here and there you can eventually dial it in and get the picture sharp.

It usually doesn't take long.

Went back to the parks I originally had trouble with using the knowledge I gained and while I would like to say it was better it was not. I absolutely loathed my day metal detecting.

I can not get it to calm down and get depth unless it's a large field with few targets. I'm not sure I'm gonna give it much mor time. I feel kinda ripped off at this point.

Went back to the parks I originally had trouble with using the knowledge I gained and while I would like to say it was better it was not. I absolutely loathed my day metal detecting.

I can not get it to calm down and get depth unless it's a large field with few targets. I'm not sure I'm gonna give it much mor time. I feel kinda ripped off at this point.

I’m gonna advise you to not give up on this machine. The F70 is a much more powerful machine than the F2. It might take a while to get the knowledge down on the F70. Heck, I’m still learning my rig and I’ve had it for a couple of years now. Keep swinging and learning is my advice to you.

What area are you located? I mean, what type of terrain are you hunting?

I'm feeling pretty confident this isn't the detector for me. To much money to be such a pain. Not knocking it but just not what I'm looking for. The AT Pro I used got deep enough i believe and was a breeze to use. My only complaint with the AT Pro was that it was a little rough on my back. Maybe the smaller coil on the AT Max will be a little easier on me.

What were your settings?
Did you do a reset at that site?
How do you know you are not getting good depth on lower settings?
Not many have this kind of problem so something is wrong.

Some click with certain units, some don't click with them at all.
It happens.
If you have already soured on it probably a good thing you had that window.

Punt and try again.

So giving that I like fisher tones but can not get along with the F70 what would your recommend i looks towards?[/QUOTE)

Probably the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro or B.H. Platinum would be easier.

Also Teknetics Digitek, Eurotek Pro, Gamma 6000.

And the Fisher F-75+ will be different than F-70. F75 LTD 2 also good.

I hated the F-70, though I could have had a detective unit. Best wishes.

I've heard the F4 gets no deeper than the F2. Would you say that is true?

Pretty much...except that you have all metal and GB in that mode only.
The GB is only in all metal and does not transfer over to disc.

Still say my F70 on 30 sense or even below was still deeper than my F2...like going from a chevette to a corvette.

Some have seen bigger coils on the F2 get an extra inch or two, sometimes more in really good dirt.

Last edited:
For now I've decided on a couple things.

I think I'm just not ready for super detector just yet and really love my F2 and just want a little more depth.

So I bought a used F4 on ebay for my better coverage needs and target separation. Hard to beat at $275 shipped.

For my depth needs I'm going to get the 10" concentric coil for my F2.

This will leave me with the F2 and F4 and I will have the DD, 4", 8', and 10" concentric.

I won't be digging any super deep stuff just yet but I am so happy with the F2 I think this should satisfy me for a good bit and will still be great to have even when I upgrade and am ready to put in the time on a T2 or F75.

It's a hobby...do what makes you happy.
I swung the F2 for over 3 years and never regretted one minute of it.
I found enough coins, silver and gold to pay for the thing more than 10x's over and graduated to the F70 only because a fantastic deal came my way that I couldn't turn down.
That's when my quest to get to deeper finds began and I could not ask for a better tool to go on that journey with..but that is me.
We're all different, always do what makes sense for you to get he most out of this great hobby.

I too started out with an F2. I planned to stay with Fisher but got a too good to be true deal on an AT Pro. I have never used an F70 but when I first started using the Pro I thought something was wrong with it and hated it. A Lot nosier then I was used to. After about 10 hours of use and some You Tube time I learned to love it. I am guessing what you first experienced with your F70 is the same. Once you learn what it is telling you, you will figure it out and love it as well.

Strat man , is the F 70 jittery and unstable ? Is it making a lot of noise ?

I'm not qualified to say for certain. I could easily calm it down but when I did I could not get any depth with it. I trust what Digger says so I tend to believe it was my lack of experience with a power machine that was the problem.

My guess is one day when I really want to step up to a deeper fisher I'm just going to have to deal with it until I figure it out.

I too started out with an F2. I planned to stay with Fisher but got a too good to be true deal on an AT Pro. I have never used an F70 but when I first started using the Pro I thought something was wrong with it and hated it. A Lot nosier then I was used to. After about 10 hours of use and some You Tube time I learned to love it. I am guessing what you first experienced with your F70 is the same. Once you learn what it is telling you, you will figure it out and love it as well.

Yeah I agree it is something I'd have to get used to but I have used an ATPro and that was WAY more stable and I got used to that real quick. My only complaints with the ATP was the nose weight and I love the 3 tone setup Fisher uses.

I think the F70 is just a hot machine.

Back
Top Bottom