If you use a CTX are you missing gold?

itsaring!

24K Larry
Forum Supporter
Was trying to learn FE-CO numbers for objects on a CTX screen. Ran into a post on the Minelab site by the Pro CTX hunter that said block out pennies. You won't miss much anyways.
So I buried some of my gold finds found by my other machines. Gold chains and cracked rings and earrings the numbers were all over the place.
A zinc penny came in a 12-36. A $10 gold eagle came in a 12-34. The big gold class ring came in a 12-36 exactly like a zinc penny.
Word of advice. When you read something, don't take it as gospel. If you are hunting gold, someone who doesn't follow rules is gonna get all the stuff you missed:laughing:

You buried all those gold rings....all over the place?:shock: Oh, it is good you have an Excal so you can find it all again. ;)

FBS doesn't like broken rings...they can be practically invisible to it. Check some toutube vids on the topic.

I learned this using my E-Trac on the wet sand in NJ...if you want gold, you have to run wide open.

Any use of a discrimination pattern will yield less than desirable results.

Certain gold rings will get discriminated out or look/sound like a junky target with varying ID numbers running discrimination patterns of any kind.

Pretty much the age old mantra when it comes to wet sand hunting on salt water beaches....dig everything.

I know if the areas are loaded with small iron it's a pain, but deep gold will sound like iron a lot of times on salt water beaches, so discriminating out iron may not be a good idea. Listening to iron and making a decision based on how it sounds and depth is a much better alternative in my opinion.

I remember the SE, anything deep the numbers would jump around but in that pack of numbers would be the numbers your looking for, when using the SE I would hunt ferrious tones AM then go for the numbers later

Not good news on the broken rings, seems like most of the old rings I find have had the solder joints cracked and the Bay was the place I was to use the CTX, I am staying with the Excalibur...thanks, you just saved me 1xxx.oo.

Take me out of line for borrowing your CTX, and keep the reports coming...

Here's a tip..

Dig ALL 12-01 signals. On land it's foil but I have dug 2 gold rings and 1 plat ring that came in at 12-01 to 12-03

Also for deep gold in the water open up your FE breakpoint to 30FE and dig all low tones no matter how high the FE number is. I have dug a couple gold rings and a ton of nickles that had FE numbers up in the 20s to 30.

The one thing that has me wanting a CTX is I hear reports of it getting a few inches better depth than the Excal at the beach. Then again it could be people just trying to justify their expensive purchase. That said, I would use it just like an Excal, wide open, and dig everything that isn't iron. On every machine that I've used, when you start using the disc, the depth plummets.

I only look at the screen on the V3i because I like trying to guess what I'm about to dig... but no matter what the numbers or the graphs tell me, if it isn't iron it gets dug.

It not seeing a ring in the test garden that the Excal does see isn't good though...

On every machine that I've used, when you start using the disc, the depth plummets.

The CTX3030 experiences no depth loss with a lot of disc. Several tests have been done by the land guys and general consensus is that there is zero depth loss, however signal quality does slightly diminish, meaning your gold signals will start to creep into the iron range, but only at extreme depths.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The one thing that has me wanting a CTX is I hear reports of it getting a few inches better depth than the Excal at the beach.

Maybe they are not using all of the Excalibur's abilities, I know stock, a Excalibur is weak.. And maybe the CTX hunters have yet to harness all of the CTX's power? Maybe the bottom line is Us knowing what is needed at our beach and what will work? Put me back in line.....

meaning your gold signals will start to creep into the iron range, but only at extreme depths
That goes for all machines, special the CZ20/21's....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe they are not using all of the Excalibur's abilities, I know stock, a Excalibur is weak.. And maybe the CTX hunters have yet to harness all of the CTX's power? Maybe the bottom line is Us knowing what is needed at our beach and what will work? Put me back in line.....

That goes for all machines, special the CZ20/21's....

Gonna take me a while to say I halfway got the CTX grasped. Excalibur here some days just goes deeper than other days. Sometimes the salinity of the ocean is stronger,etc. Only thing i'm interested in overlooking is iron. Zinc penny during winter days when there isn't fresh drops I could see passing up a surface zinc number. But if you notice one below it 9" deep no way i'd pass digging it up:D
DFX can even show some gold chains in the iron range. I think all detectors get fooled the exact same way.

I know two guys who are sold on the depth. They are both new users but they have a lot of experience so I have to think they are right. One thing they need to remember is with my GT and 12X15 coil I dig really deep holes. It can pull a dime from 14"+. With my 12" Sunray coil I can dig well over 12 inches for most targets including gold. So, how much am I losing? Personally I don't think I am losing much but who knows? I think just the idea of more depth sells that machine. I hope Larry and I can test some. Show me your CTX can hit gold deeper than my GT then I will believe.

The Etrac and the CTX are similar FBS machines. I just do not see how the CTX can be deeper than an Etrac. Guys have tried to make the CTX a water machine. It is not. It leaks. You have to open the battery every time you charge. The gasket is a rubber band. That is not a water machine. So, they say it is going to be a wet sand machine........just like the Etrac.

I know two guys who are sold on the depth. They are both new users but they have a lot of experience so I have to think they are right. One thing they need to remember is with my GT and 12X15 coil I dig really deep holes. It can pull a dime from 14"+. With my 12" Sunray coil I can dig well over 12 inches for most targets including gold. So, how much am I losing? Personally I don't think I am losing much but who knows? I think just the idea of more depth sells that machine. I hope Larry and I can test some. Show me your CTX can hit gold deeper than my GT then I will believe.

The Etrac and the CTX are similar FBS machines. I just do not see how the CTX can be deeper than an Etrac. Guys have tried to make the CTX a water machine. It is not. It leaks. You have to open the battery every time you charge. The gasket is a rubber band. That is not a water machine. So, they say it is going to be a wet sand machine........just like the Etrac.

Whites corrected their black leaky seals. Garrett corrected the leaky ATPro's. Minelab is still trying to figure it out. I like Ford engines. Just don't like some of the car designs. Yeah I complain about that too:laughing:

I know two guys who are sold on the depth. They are both new users but they have a lot of experience so I have to think they are right. One thing they need to remember is with my GT and 12X15 coil I dig really deep holes.
I think that is what this coil is for? We can try it. But you may have to swing it:laughing:

Attachments

• SAM_0731.jpg
    SAM_0731.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 851
That reminds me, about a month ago I saw a guy that looked like he was pushing a stroller on the wet sand, then he stops and pulled out a shovel and started digging a hole. Turns out he hade a GPX and a custom 3'x2' coil on wheels. He was digging some crazy deep holes (and not filling them in :mad: ).

Greg, Greg, Greg.....anyone can dig really deep holes.... you need to do some better pinpointing! :laughing:

Was trying to learn FE-CO numbers for objects on a CTX screen. Ran into a post on the Minelab site by the Pro CTX hunter that said block out pennies. You won't miss much anyways.
So I buried some of my gold finds found by my other machines. Gold chains and cracked rings and earrings the numbers were all over the place.
A zinc penny came in a 12-36. A $10 gold eagle came in a 12-34. The big gold class ring came in a 12-36 exactly like a zinc penny.
Word of advice. When you read something, don't take it as gospel. If you are hunting gold, someone who doesn't follow rules is gonna get all the stuff you missed:laughing:

Agreed Larry but you can specify the size of the block you use to block out zinc pennies.(or any target)... I have tried blocking out pennies just to see and guess what, you do dig less pennies but you still hear them, they aren't totally silent due to depth, corrosion and other variables....they just aren't all new pennies and don't hit the same.

There is a very good CTX user up north and is about to hit 100 gold rings this year, he blocks out quite a bit on his screen, still gets good depth, and still gets gold..... he just recently opened up his screen some so he would start picking up IPhones, he had them discriminated out!

Cliff

Agreed Larry but you can specify the size of the block you use to block out zinc pennies.(or any target)... I have tried blocking out pennies just to see and guess what, you do dig less pennies but you still hear them, they aren't totally silent due to depth, corrosion and other variables....they just aren't all new pennies and don't hit the same.

There is a very good CTX user up north and is about to hit 100 gold rings this year, he blocks out quite a bit on his screen, still gets good depth, and still gets gold..... he just recently opened up his screen some so he would start picking up IPhones, he had them discriminated out!

Cliff

I'll study up on that more and give it a try in my test garden. Cooler months hopefully the fire ants won't be in it:lol:

Back
Top Bottom