Taking my MD on a plane

qtdivergirl

Can anyone tell me if they have ever encountered any problems taking their metal detector on a plane? Are you allowed to do that? Will they make me check it in at baggage? I would be devastated if after waiting 20 years to finally get one the airport security confiscates it :crying:

I brought mine to Saint Maarteen in the 90's and they made me check it. I'm sure they are stricter now. Where are you going with it?

I brought mine to Saint Maarteen in the 90's and they made me check it. I'm sure they are stricter now. Where are you going with it?

I was planning on taking a trip to Dominican Republic. I'm afraid if I check it in it will get damaged. I guess I would have to dismantle it, wrap it in bubble wrap and pack it. I would hate to get there and it's damaged

Deff take apart and pack it good. Just make sure on the laws about metal detecting there. It would be a shame to go through bringing it and then not be able to use it. Try putting up a thread asking the forum members if any of them have detected there and if they had any trouble. I'm sure some one on here has been there and can help you.

Hello, you should be able to take your detector as a carry on. I flew to Cancun and packed the rods in checked bags and kept all the electronics with batteries in it in my carry on. If you check it in it may get stolen or very likely broken. Where are you going in DR? We went to Punta Cana last year and really enjoyed it(I didn't bring the detector). Have a great vacation and good luck hunting!

James

Qt,

I don't know what detector you have but I recommend some sort of hard case that you can check in for air-travel. I'm fortunate because my Deus will break down and store in a small suitcase with my clothes. I'm heading for the Phils and Bali this coming spring. I think I'll keep a short vid on my iPhone of me detecting and retrieving a coin out of the sand. It will be easier to show that and point at the detector rather than trying to explain what it is to any security officials.

Happy hunting.

I've had a McDonalds reject or two (TSA) cry out "Detector"
like he found a bomb, only to have the supervisor come over and
calm him/her, down. The word "hobby" and "beach" seem to mellow them out more than any other, in my experience.
They may check the battery compartment, since it involves wiring.

You can also call ahead and look for a Coin, Gold, Silver or Jewelry store that rent metal detectors.. Usually they are Whites and very reasonable to rent. Cost me 2 days for $35 dollars and included extra batteries. And I got to try an expensive machine too!

I was planning on taking a trip to Dominican Republic. I'm afraid if I check it in it will get damaged. I guess I would have to dismantle it, wrap it in bubble wrap and pack it. I would hate to get there and it's damaged

I have flown with an Excalibur(s) before to multiple islands in the Caribbean. My experience has been that the US typically does not have a problem with a broken down metal detector as a carry on. Of course that could change. However coming back to the US was another story. On one island I was detained and told I had to go back and check it (but talked my way through as I was afraid I might miss my flight) and on another I did not experience any problems. So you can likely take it as a carry on while leaving the US but inquire in DR to see if you have to check it on the return. Another thing to consider is that if the overhead bins fill up you may be forced to check it anyway, so pack it with enough cushioning in case it winds up stowed below. And best of luck in DR!

When I took mine on vacation before 9-11 I tried to carry it on but they told me after looking at it on the x-ray that I had to check it. If you ever saw what they look like in the x-ray machine you'd understand.

I travel with my detector a lot and what I did was purchase a large hard side suitcase with no zipper. The case has two key locks and 2 combination locks. These type of cases cannot be crushed and you would need a saw to break into it. If your luggage has a zipper it can be opened with a ballpoint pen and then zipped closed again. I don't worry about the people in Canada and the US taking things out of my luggage but several times in the past we have lost things comming out of other countries. I taked to the airline people and they said if security needs to see inside my case they will call me. It has never happened. All you need to do then is make sure the detector is well protected inside the case.

Cool .. I was born there!! I hope your going to Punta Cana! Or the Puerto Plata Region. You will love it there.

Take it with you on board, put it under your seat. Do not leave it with all the other baggage, those get stacked up high on the planes I would think.

Have fun, Hey, you just might find enough stuff on those beaches to pay for the trip. I plan on going soon there myself with my AT PRO !

I traveled with mine twice, both times I checked it, but I had the original box and packed it in there. I had a large suitcase and packed my clothes around it.

I've taken mine as carry on several times with out a problem. I take all my electronics on as carry-on. Just break it down and pack it well. However I've never flown out of the country with it so if that's the case I have no idea. Now I don't fly a lot but I know I've used at least 4 different airports and have Never had an issue and wouldn't hesitate to pack it as carry-on in the future. Oh and this is all within the last 3 yrs.

I have flown all over with a detecctor. Last time to Mexico I packed it in a hard sided suitcase bought at a thrift store, along with my travel scoop padded with a beach towel and my dive boots. Everything made it with no problem and no security to explain things to.

traveling with a detector

If you don`t want to take it on the plane you might consider shipping it by Fedex to the hotel ahead of your trip. I have taken mine by plane to the Philippines with no problems broke down in my luggage.

Hello, you should be able to take your detector as a carry on. I flew to Cancun and packed the rods in checked bags and kept all the electronics with batteries in it in my carry on. If you check it in it may get stolen or very likely broken. Where are you going in DR? We went to Punta Cana last year and really enjoyed it(I didn't bring the detector). Have a great vacation and good luck hunting!

James

Hi James - I think we are going to Puna Cana as well - where did you stay? Was it all inclusive?

Back
Top Bottom