Heading to the Caribbean, Getting the gear ready to travel.

firstbigestmost

Elite Member
Well I’m heading to the islands next week, so it was time to get the gear ready to travel. :D
Last time I traveled with my detector, I put it in my carry on bag and wrapped/padded everything with clothes. This turned out to be a big pain because every time the bag went through the x ray machine, security wanted to see the detector and would dump all my junk out :mad:. So this time I wanted to put something together to protect the detectors but still be easy and fast for the screeners to check. I used some foam board from home depot to do the job. It "should" work great.

I also figured I'd share my homemade travel scoop handle with you guys. I used it last year on vacation and it worked awesome. Plus it was about 10 bucks to make.

Anyway the first step was breaking down my homemade straight shaft on the excall, and putting the v clips back on the stock shaft. The hardest part of that was getting the gorilla tape residue off the lower rod (been using it with no connector since last year). I plan to do some snorkeling so i figured it would go easier with the s-rod.

My travel handle is/was a 5 ft piece of 3/4? threaded galvanized pipe with a coupling in the center. I cut 2 24 inch pieces out of it leaving the scrap cuts in the center so I would have the threads to use. I tightened the hell out of the lower piece of pipe and coupling so that is the fixed section. When I put it together I just snug in the top piece enough that it wont come loose during the hunt. I also grinded some shallow grooves in the lower section where the u-bolts sit to keep the pipe from sliding up. Finished it off with a handle bar grip and its good to go. I like the piece of mind I get using "my" scoop when I travel, plus the handle is bomb proof(no wimpy travel scoop for me). The pipe also works fine with my wood shim to give the handle some angle.

Now all I have to do is find some room in my checked bag to pack some clothes. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Trip gear 1.jpg
    Trip gear 1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 247
  • Trip gear 2.jpg
    Trip gear 2.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 244
  • Trip gear 3.jpg
    Trip gear 3.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 245
  • Trip gear4.jpg
    Trip gear4.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 257
  • Trip gear 5.jpg
    Trip gear 5.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 251
  • Trip gear 6.jpg
    Trip gear 6.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 252
  • Trip gear 7.jpg
    Trip gear 7.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 242
  • Trip gear 9.jpg
    Trip gear 9.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 249
  • Trip gear 10.jpg
    Trip gear 10.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 249
  • Trip gear 11.jpg
    Trip gear 11.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 240
  • Trip gear 12.jpg
    Trip gear 12.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 249
awesome,,,,spent a ton of time in the bahamas doing work and at the time did not MD, man, I look back at those days and start thinking about packing my bags, tons and tons of people wearing the good bling, and no machines swinging! :lol::lol:tear it up and show us your finds,,

Don't forget the sun screen, it has been and is going to be mid 90's for the next few days here with humidity sky high. Good luck !

:yes: Yeah living in Florida I dont take shortcuts with sun exposure. You guys would get a kick out of my current set up. ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom