My review of the Coiltek 15" WOT 7.5 khz

BushWhacker

First impression was WOW that's a big coil! It makes the stock coil look like a sniper coil. In hand the weight is not too bad but on the machine it's a different story. I have to bungee rig or else I would not be able to swing it for very long at all. Visions of finding a ton of bullets danced in my head.
I air-tested it and it really wasn't what I expected. Barely would out do the stock coil on air-test. I was very disappointed in the air-test. I went ahead and gave it a shot though because I know air-test mean almost nothing.

I went down to the one of my Civil War camps and started in with the coil attached to the Xterra 70. The conditions here are very poor as the ground is very dry. We haven't had any decent rain in a couple of months. The ground here is almost rock hard.

It took me a bit to get it to run smoothly. I had to turn the sensitivity down to 18 before it would quit falsing on the ground. The only hit I had gotten was an iron signal. I had to investigate it further since I wanted to know what it was. I dug out a quarter sized piece of aluminum can that was just barely covered with any dirt. It amazed me that this coil showed it as iron unless I was 2" above the object. I spotted a shotgun hull and swung over the top of it. It barely made any noise at all at a couple of inches. I swung for about 2 hours before I gave into the pain and disappointment and left the field.The first day I regretted buying it.
The next day I hit the same field but I had switched over to the Xterra 705 thinking it may be the machine. I air-tested it before leaving the house and got the same results as I did with the Xterra 70. I also found the shotgun hull from the day before and got the same results. Swung for about 2 1/2 hours and nothing at all to show for my efforts except for soreness. I hated this coil. I honestly wanted to call the dealer and see if I could get a refund on it but decided to stick with it knowing the dryness of the field.
The next day my hunting partner and I hit the same field again. He runs an AT Pro with the stock coil. He ran over an area that I had quickly scanned the day before. He pulled a nice 3 ringer from the area. I told him that next time he got a signal that I wanted to run my coil over the target. Not shortly after he waved me over. He showed low 50's on his machine. I ran my coil over the target and got an iron signal. He dug the 3" deep target and it turned out to be buckshot from buck and ball. We have dug a ton of these from this part of the camp. I normally don't have a problem with these ringing up higher on either machine with the stock coil. It appears that I will have to dig more low tone signals with this coil. I shifted over a bit to hunt another part of the camp. I got a fairly nice signal so I dug. It turned out to be a .54 round ball a few inches deep. I got a few more nice signals that turned out to be trash. My hunting partner found more buckshot and a couple of pistol rounds. One of which was a St Louis round. He got a call from his wife so we had to pack it in. At least today I found something.
Next day my hunting partner and I hit the same field. I decided to hunt a small section where we have found .54 buck and ball and .58 caliber minnies mixed. I gridded off the area and went to work. I found two .54 round balls(one chewed) within 10 feet of each other in a straight line both of which were 4" to 6" deep. Two passes later I found a pulled .54 round ball right under the surface. I worked the whole area and found a small bit of trash but nothing else except low tone signals which I decided not to dig since the digging sucks in the hard ground. I moved over to another location where we had found bullets up to a foot deep before they leveled the field. I gridded it off and went to work. My only find in the area was a 3 ringer at 11". I was pretty impressed. Especially since I could raise the coil up a few inches and still hit it. My hunting partner had found a few bullets. Finding the bullets made me feel better. Especially the depth of 11" in dry ground.
Today I went back down to the camp. I found a pistol ball and a piece of a spur. The spur piece was at least 8" down.

I have real mixed feeling about this coil. Part of me likes it but part of me hates it to the core. I wonder if I had been better off getting the high frequency coil because it would be more sensitive to smaller targets? I fear that I will end up missing my 3 cent piece, a small gold coin or all of the buck that part of this field is infamous for. I am hoping that some moisture in the ground will help and this is the main thing I am clinging onto. I know that when moisture gets in the ground on this field magical things happen and the field comes to life. I actually bought this coil to be a scout coil. I wanted something to where I could find the bullet patches in the large fields we have here. I would have then switched over to the stock coil and slowly work it and not have to worry about the weight of the coil or being tethered to the machine. After swinging it for awhile though I want to be able hunt with a coil this size but I still don't want to miss out on the smaller items. Maybe this is the trade off? I figured the coil should be able to ID the quarter sized piece of aluminum can at least 3" deep. Either way I am stuck with it. I am just hoping that it pays off on scouting the fields and finding the patches of bullets. I have always been concerned about the mounting brackets on this coil. The pictures it has always looked a bit thin. In person they still look a bit thin so I am very careful with it. I dread the day I have to swing it in stubble or over uneven ground. I guess we will see what the future holds for my relationship with this coil.

Back
Top Bottom