Made the TRX plunge!

FindandDetect

Elite Member
After watching video after video I decided to get the TRX pointer and ordered it a few moments ago from BBH. I have the Pro-pointer but it has been falsing a lot lately. Can't wait!

I think I'll like the way it detects more forward of the tip. Sometimes having side detection can make things difficult (especially with multiple targets in the hole). Also when detecting with the F75 I can pick up really small items that the Pro-Pointer doesn't acknowledge... hopefully this does a lot better.

I love the TRX. It will false some when using the level 3 and 4 (max) settings.
Do yourself a favor and use 9 volts only. All summer long I used AA batteries. It worked fine just once in awhile it kind of acted wonky.
Recently started using 9 volt batteries and havent had an episode since. I also havent tried to turn up the sensitivity since then either. Maybe it would be fine at 3 or 4 max sensitivity with a 9 volt. I will check that out later.

I run at the 2 setting and love it. So much I bought two TRX'S. She barely has used hers, I use the !!!! out of mine.
DD

I love the TRX. It will false some when using the level 3 and 4 (max) settings.
Do yourself a favor and use 9 volts only. All summer long I used AA batteries. It worked fine just once in awhile it kind of acted wonky.
Recently started using 9 volt batteries and havent had an episode since. I also havent tried to turn up the sensitivity since then either. Maybe it would be fine at 3 or 4 max sensitivity with a 9 volt. I will check that out later.

I run at the 2 setting and love it. So much I bought two TRX'S. She barely has used hers, I use the !!!! out of mine.
DD

Excellent point on the 9 volts. They work much better.

Never used a 9v, use #3 always, never have any issues when the TRX is properly ground balanced and kept far enough away from large metal items such as Diggers, keys and the MD. Laying it down 8" from your MD and having it beep is not falsing, it is picking up the MD. However if it works for you enjoy!

I know how to properly GB and operate my pinpointers. I also know what falsing is. Your telling me its not falsing, when your not even with me. Great stuff. LOL This is why I dont post on here as much as I used too.

My TRX also works better on 9V batts instead of AA. I suspect that the voltage regulator is weak for the 2 AA batts under operational load. It has shown in my air tests on common coins like pennies and dimes.

I know how to properly GB and operate my pinpointers. I also know what falsing is. Your telling me its not falsing, when your not even with me. Great stuff. LOL This is why I dont post on here as much as I used too.

Wow take it easy man.. Just posting what I have seen in the past year and a half. I had one of the first unit out, and it was replaced this spring when the speaker failed.. so I have a current run with newer firmware, never sent my old one in and just lived with the turn on delay.
I will load a 9v in mine and after the hurricane passes try and get out to see if it makes a difference. Without having any issues of falsing or depth to start with, what should I look for to be different with the 9v?

Wow take it easy man.. Just posting what I have seen in the past year and a half. I had one of the first unit out, and it was replaced this spring when the speaker failed.. so I have a current run with newer firmware, never sent my old one in and just lived with the turn on delay.
I will load a 9v in mine and after the hurricane passes try and get out to see if it makes a difference. Without having any issues of falsing or depth to start with, what should I look for to be different with the 9v?

Faster and crisper tones. The AA batts limp, for lack of a better description.

Never used a 9v, use #3 always, never have any issues when the TRX is properly ground balanced and kept far enough away from large metal items such as Diggers, keys and the MD. Laying it down 8" from your MD and having it beep is not falsing, it is picking up the MD. However if it works for you enjoy!

I just bought my TRX a couple weeks ago and I enjoy it.

I have noticed that I can't run it on 3 all the time. I will get random chirping when it's not near anything and I constantly have to GB when using it. I'm assuming it has something to do with the soil around my area. It can be considerably annoying so I knocked it back down to 2, which is usually fine.

When I'm in some areas where it's dryer and sandy I can run it on level 3 without issue. I rather enjoy having the extra depth.

I bought a 12 pack of 9v batteries so I'm golden there.

Still trying to work out the best way to find tiny targets. I seem to spend a lot of time sifting through handfuls of sand or loose soil when there's a tiny object hidden in there. ;)

I just bought my TRX a couple weeks ago and I enjoy it.

I have noticed that I can't run it on 3 all the time. I will get random chirping when it's not near anything and I constantly have to GB when using it. I'm assuming it has something to do with the soil around my area. It can be considerably annoying so I knocked it back down to 2, which is usually fine.

When I'm in some areas where it's dryer and sandy I can run it on level 3 without issue. I rather enjoy having the extra depth.

I bought a 12 pack of 9v batteries so I'm golden there.

Still trying to work out the best way to find tiny targets. I seem to spend a lot of time sifting through handfuls of sand or loose soil when there's a tiny object hidden in there. ;)

Use a ground cloth to place the dirt on it will help a lot with the tiny stuff. Remember the faster it beeps the closer you are, even if you can not see the item. With the cloth, the dirt does not move like it does in you hand so you spend a few seconds getting it out and move the dirt, but then you find it and are done.. I have chased my fair share of 1/4" long brad nails and bird shot..

Faster and crisper tones. The AA batts limp, for lack of a better description.

Interesting, I saw no difference in anything with the old firmware when I tested the 9v back when I first got it. Will try this tonight with an air test, seems like if the tonal qualities are different should show up in the air.. bbl

I absolutely hated my TRX, but I got mine on release day and heard those batches were just wonky in general. I am sure just like Full Size Detectors, everyone has different needs, options and preferences. I can definitely say that the TRX was by far the deepest pinpointer I ever owned, but that amount of power also causes the problems mentioned like picking up everything around it sometimes. I am a huge White's fan though, their customer service is amazing.

HH,
Rich [GetDiggin]

Use a ground cloth to place the dirt on it will help a lot with the tiny stuff. Remember the faster it beeps the closer you are, even if you can not see the item. With the cloth, the dirt does not move like it does in you hand so you spend a few seconds getting it out and move the dirt, but then you find it and are done.. I have chased my fair share of 1/4" long brad nails and bird shot..

I am often amazed at the ability of my detector and the pinpointer to latch onto something almost too small to see... I keep forgetting that i put a strong magnet into my bag to find '!!!!' that's too small to see and is usually a piece of rusty steel.

I am often amazed at the ability of my detector and the pinpointer to latch onto something almost too small to see... I keep forgetting that i put a strong magnet into my bag to find '!!!!' that's too small to see and is usually a piece of rusty steel.

The putting it in the bag is the pain.. I was clearing nails from an area in front of a 1700s and used a big speaker magnet to aid in the process, worked really well but would not want to carry it all day..

With a wooden ruler, new 9v, new AAs and used AAs I could see no appreciably difference in depth, or audio from my TRX.

Process followed was to turn on the TRX in the air well away from any metal then holding the TRX by the cap hit the button to grab the air giving it full sensitivity. Had it set on #3, got 3" with all 3 sets of batteries, same tone, same speed using the same quarter. Not saying that other units act exactly the same as mine, but I have had 2 as stated above and both operated exactly the same when tested. I really believe a lot of the beeping assumed to be falsing is the side of the TRX picking up larger objects that are farther away, in the ground or otherwise hidden. If it is freaking out while holding it in the air like the statue of liberty then you may have a defective unit. Not to say that there couldn't be super hot units or defects that false or work better with a 9v. Also could be the quality of the AAs compared to 9v? I have used dollar store batteries that did not perform well even when new. Or maybe I just have had units that are more stable that others..

Back
Top Bottom