******Information only******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know what to say, that wouldn't be political. Wonder if that full memo is available. I'm sure the NRA took a few select statements, out of context of course, to better demonize the document. I'm sure the memo was mostly wishful thinking, health care reform was this president's one hit wonder, and I'm still wondering what he was thinking...

I believe that was from last year about this time when they were talking about a new gun ban which did not pass from my understanding? That is from over a year ago and you would think we would have heard more about something like that since im sure suddenly "ALOT OF GUNS WOULD GO MYSTERIOUSLY MISSING AT SEA". It would be good scuba detecting then! :)

Sent from a hidden menu within my AT Pro

Efforts are already underway in Connecticut and New York.
They are facing extremely widespread non-compliance, so authorities are now struggling with how to go about enforcement, especially since several County Sherriff's are refusing to obey a law that they believe to be unconstitutional.

As The Founders intended, it is sometimes the only way to keep the governing body in line. Peace and order can only be established and maintained through the decisive use of force.

A version of this bill re-submitted in 2009 died in a House Committee back then. This is old, outdated information!

Because we have the right :exactly:

You want or need something simply because you have the right to do so? We have the right to do many things (many of which are harmful) but I don't see how this alone is reason enough to do so, especially in the case of an assault rifle.

As The Founders intended, it is sometimes the only way to keep the governing body in line. Peace and order can only be established and maintained through the decisive use of force.

Is this true? Is so, then how do many other countries where assault rifles are not legal manage to live in relative peace? Those "Founders" also lived in very different times.

Anyhow, the article isn't really saying anything anyway:

While the NRA has used the memo as a warning of the administration’s plans, Joshua Horwitz, executive director of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, said the memo is an analysis about gun violence that doesn’t seem to indicate any sort of legislative plans by the government. The memo includes data on the frequency of mass shootings, gun violence, and the effectiveness of current legislation.

“It doesn’t appear to be a serious discussion of gun violence prevention policy, never mind an expression of administration policy,” he told AP.

You want or need something simply because you have the right to do so? We have the right to do many things (many of which are harmful) but I don't see how this alone is reason enough to do so, especially in the case of an assault rifle.

Is this true? Is so, then how do many other countries where assault rifles are not legal manage to live in relative peace? Those "Founders" also lived in very different times.

Anyhow, the article isn't really saying anything anyway:

While the NRA has used the memo as a warning of the administration’s plans, Joshua Horwitz, executive director of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, said the memo is an analysis about gun violence that doesn’t seem to indicate any sort of legislative plans by the government. The memo includes data on the frequency of mass shootings, gun violence, and the effectiveness of current legislation.

“It doesn’t appear to be a serious discussion of gun violence prevention policy, never mind an expression of administration policy,” he told AP.

I'll give up my AR's and AK's when the police do. Not really I don't trust the police or the people who give them their orders.

Is this true? If so, then how do many other countries where assault rifles are not legal manage to live in relative peace? Those "Founders" also lived in very different times.
Ok...how many other countries have been founded on the principal basis of individual freedom?
That principal above all others is exactly what makes America great. The Founders knew that over time corruption would enter the picture, so they provided us with The Second Amendment to guarantee that we would have the means to make corrections in the system when the need arose.

Disarming the public is nothing new. It has happened several times throughout history.....most often just shortly before major betrayal, invasion, enslavement, etc....

Never understood why Rosa Parks HAD to sit in the front of the bus, buy anyway....

And the connection to owning assault rifles would be....? :?:

Keeping this as non political and nonconfrontational as possible , my point is, requiring, needing, or desiring something is a personal decision. Be it where I sit on a bus or what type of firearm I choose to punch holes in a sheet of paper with, it should be my personal decision. Not that of a politician or popular opinion. If I cause no harm to myself or others, I should be free in my decisions and actions.

In 1979 I bought two Colt AR-15's. I was a USAF cop. I still remember the serial number of one, sp71906. I had a 176 round drum for one. I used to go and target practice all the time and I became a marksman.

I haven't had one for a long time BUT, if I had the chance I would have another one. I loved to target practice.

My rights are non negotiable! Sounds like you have a little too much trust in our government...

There aren't enough police officers for each citizen to have round the clock, personal protection. They seldom arrive, before the crime is committed, or in time to prevent a tragedy. Someone needs to get victimized, before they can get involved, most people don't want to be the victim. Citizens can only count on themselves to protect and defend their own lives, family, home and property. Guns help equalize those unfortunate situations. Think a shotgun would be more effective than an assault rifle for home defense, just point in the general direction, better chance of hitting the target, or close enough, less chance of hitting a neighbor. Takes practice and training to stay calm and focused, so you can shoot a rifle or pistol straight, under stressful conditions.

People need guns, but I think there is a point where there needs to be some restrictions. Rifle bullets can still kill a long way past an intended target. Population density in many areas would make it kind of unsafe for the rest of us. Need be some strict regulations on training, regular practice, and storage of weapons and ammunition, so only those who are in compliance have access to the weapons. Most of us don't live a mile away from our nearest neighbor, like when this country was founded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom