1923 license plate restoration--before and after pic

hssea

I posted previously the 1923 license plate that I found while detecting in a park. Did send the" before" picture to a professional license plate restoration company, they gave an estimate of $300 - $400 to restore the plate :shock::shock: ...that being way out of our budget !!! It was a bit to "rustic"as is, so my son and I sanded and painted the plate. He's going to mount it and hang it in his room with his other license plates. We painted it in the original colors.

Before:
DSC01781 (800x600).jpg

After:
DSC01787 (800x600).jpg

darn !!!!....thought we were done, but just realized suppose to have a white rim around it. I'll just have to post another picture :laughing: I'll wait till after we mount it, still somewhat deciding what color the mounting wood should be.

darn !!!!....thought we were done, but just realized suppose to have a white rim around it. I'll just have to post another picture :laughing: I'll wait till after we mount it, still somewhat deciding what color the mounting wood should be.

Nice job.

I think most if not all cars were painted black back then.
How about a black back ground that sort of gives the impression of the back of a car it used to be attached to. Maybe some older looking tail lights from a junk yard or you could just paint in some tail lights.

Nice job.

How about a black back ground that sort of gives the impression of the back of a car it used to be attached to. Maybe some older looking tail lights from a junk yard or you could just paint in some tail lights.

yeah, just think if some of those old timers were around to see some of the colors they use on cars today! :shock: :laughing:

great job cleaning up/painting that plate! :yes:

Pete

I posted previously the 1923 license plate that I found while detecting in a park. Did send the" before" picture to a professional license plate restoration company, they gave an estimate of $300 - $400 to restore the plate :shock::shock: ...that being way out of our budget !!! It was a bit to "rustic"as is, so my son and I sanded and painted the plate. He's going to mount it and hang it in his room with his other license plates. We painted it in the original colors.

Before:
View attachment 162029

After:
View attachment 162030

Nice job on the plate...and the price was right!

Did you look at pics of other plates of the period to know the original color? Looks super fragile - but great work!

Google search came up with Michigan Historical License plates by the Year (under the Michigan DNR)--neat site shows each years plate and little info. In 1923 some of the plates where made with the state/year on the left and others had it on the right side. During the 20's each year the plates had a different color combination also.

Nice job.

Yes, I'm thinking black also. Your idea about the tail lights would be cool

Back
Top Bottom