• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Thoughts?

Yep, this is at least the second company that has come out with a kickstarter campaign hawking this idea. Previous one was Ankyor (Forum Thread: Just A Heads Up - ANKYOR), which so far hasn't received significant funding - but at least their website works, despite the machine looking laughable with a mile long coil cord wrapped 3,000 times around the shaft.

The link in the article for "Air Metal Detectors" didn't work, so I did a Google search instead - a link popped up but when I clicked, the connection timed out...not a good sign!

Overall, the idea is an interesting one, and may well be the future of metal detecting. But I'll wait until one of the major detector companies embraces the idea before I take it seriously, rather than a half-baked kickstarter campaign from someone's basement in the Ukraine. Besides, for the foreseeable future, I'm sure a dedicated detector will far outclass something dumbed down to the level of a cell phone app.

Well if they do it right, a smartphone app based detector could be better than most current machines, because of app flexibility. It should also be considerably cheaper than "whole" models.
I imagine being able to choose between accurate simulations of popular current model detectors, and maybe even some vintage models. It would be like having a CTX3030, an Etrac, an Equinox, an ATPro, ATMax, And various Fisher, Whites, etc. models, all rolled into one! Also, original coils from these machines could be used, maybe some with adapters. The simulator machine should come with a main "universal" coil, and have an assortment of coils available for purchase.
That's if they do it right...I think. My imagination may or may not be realistic. ;)

Well if they do it right, a smartphone app based detector could be better than most current machines, because of app flexibility. It should also be considerably cheaper than "whole" models.
I imagine being able to choose between accurate simulations of popular current model detectors, and maybe even some vintage models. It would be like having a CTX3030, an Etrac, an Equinox, an ATPro, ATMax, And various Fisher, Whites, etc. models, all rolled into one! Also, original coils from these machines could be used, maybe some with adapters. The simulator machine should come with a main "universal" coil, and have an assortment of coils available for purchase.
That's if they do it right...I think. My imagination may or may not be realistic. ;)

Your imagination is not out of the scope of technical possibilities...Heck, even all the Global NOX users did simple software updates downloaded 'Off the Cloud' or something....So yeah..this very well indeed could be the future of our Sports tech, and a guy pays an 'app fee' or something instead of buying a complete rig to try out....

Heck, a guy could download instant programs instead of scrolling through the menu depending on the area and what has been noted as 'worked the best' in that particular GPS coordinates....Its so accurate nowadays, a guys rig could simply make all the necessary changes for us..:?:...

Or...you could hire someone to send out their "detectodrone" and metal detect for you then report back with GPS coordinates, fun level meter reading and video???:no:

How bout another GRAPE soda??

A smart phone metal detector?

Doesnt that mean the NSA, the FBI and Google will know where we found all our wheaties

and mercs :heartylaugh:

And dont forget about anything over 50 years old........ LOL.

how many of you go metal detecting holding your girlfriend's hand?

Ok be careful on this one with your replies, this is a decent forum.

totally bogus deal.

Your imagination is not out of the scope of technical possibilities...Heck, even all the Global NOX users did simple software updates downloaded 'Off the Cloud' or something....So yeah..this very well indeed could be the future of our Sports tech, and a guy pays an 'app fee' or something instead of buying a complete rig to try out....

[B}Heck, a guy could download instant programs [/B]instead of scrolling through the menu depending on the area and what has been noted as 'worked the best' in that particular GPS coordinates....Its so accurate nowadays, a guys rig could simply make all the necessary changes for us..:?:...

That's what I was hoping the Nox would eventually be able to do. Since it can interface with a PC via USB, there's no reason why you couldn't program it from a GUI interface.

As for the "detector" itself, obviously it isn't very good. Look at the last picture in the article. Not a single pull tab to be seen.

despite the machine looking laughable with a mile long coil cord wrapped 3,000 times around the shaft.

"laughable?"

How dare you use such an understatement! :cool:

I think "hysterical" or "a complete joke" or "piece of C***" would have been more appropriate.:laughing::lol:

I think we all better sell our Equinox's, CTX's, Deus etc...coz this ahem, Air Detector is gonna put All the big players like Minelab, Nokta/Makro/XP/ etc etc out of business and make our current machines useless in comparison....so they will be worth more in scrap parts...lol :laughing::laughing:

Ok, on a srious note, just like with the Equinox, i'm gonna place a pre-order for the Air Detector - NOT!!:laughing:

Matt

Well, like a modeling amp designed to sound like a classic tube fender, a Marshall and half a dozen other amps, it will probably fall short of a dedicated machine.

Back
Top Bottom