AT Pro water hunting issues??

TheStelt

Today I took the ATP out about knee deep and it didn't last long until the unit starting giving false signals. It was never totally under the water but got wet from a wave or two. I was a bit freaked out because I thought water may have gotten into it, I immediately got out and tested on dry land with the same results. Took it home to change coils and still falsing. I unconnected everything and took the batteries out for a few hours and then tested outside and it seems to be working? Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to go in the water again and have more water get into it if it did dry out!!

So the break down:
Hunted land 10-15 times this year with no issue(2+hours each hunt)
Got in the water for 20 min and started giving false signals
Changed coils, batteries, did a factory reset and still falsed
Waited 7 hours and it seems ok with both coils. I think it dried out??

Should I send it in to get looked at? Or should I reseal the connections and try the water again?

Just make sure when you plug the connectors in that the oring goes in all the way around . I had that problem when I first tried it out when I got it and found that I had pinched the oring and water got in the connector had to get Garrett to send me some new Orings

i'm wondering if it might be your ground balance and maybe too high a sensitivity setting? :?:

I ground balanced right when I got in the water and had a good 20 min before any falsing...Found a woman's watch then got hit by a wave and it seemed to go crazy. I'm going to call their support and see what they say...Hopefully this doesn't take too long! Thanks for the responses!

I just recently did my first full submersion of the ATP in a local lake this last Wednesday. To date, I've got four solid months on the ATP, have hunted in heavy downpour, and have previously submersed the coil on multiple occasions without any issues. However, on this last trip I'd hunted for a good 30 minutes as normal, but then after submersing the control box for a few minutes I started to get false hits on the ends of my swing. I took it out of the water and it was still happening. If I jiggled the coil it'd false. I did a factory reset, toned down the sensitivity, and finally I took the batteries out to see if they were wet. They were dry and the unit would still false after putting them back in. After sitting overnight it was back to working normally again. I'm wonder what caused my issue. I intend to pull the coil and headphone plugs, inspect the o-rings and add some silicon grease prior to giving it another test, but have yet to do it. I'm hoping that it was a one time issue, but I look forward to hearing the feedback you get from Garrett.
FWIW.

I just recently did my first full submersion of the ATP in a local lake this last Wednesday. To date, I've got four solid months on the ATP, have hunted in heavy downpour, and have previously submersed the coil on multiple occasions without any issues. However, on this last trip I'd hunted for a good 30 minutes as normal, but then after submersing the control box for a few minutes I started to get false hits on the ends of my swing. I took it out of the water and it was still happening. If I jiggled the coil it'd false. I did a factory reset, toned down the sensitivity, and finally I took the batteries out to see if they were wet. They were dry and the unit would still false after putting them back in. After sitting overnight it was back to working normally again. I'm wonder what caused my issue. I intend to pull the coil and headphone plugs, inspect the o-rings and add some silicon grease prior to giving it another test, but have yet to do it. I'm hoping that it was a one time issue, but I look forward to hearing the feedback you get from Garrett.
FWIW.

Sounds like we are in the same boat. I will let you know what they say, but I was most likely planning on the same as you reseal and try again watching it very closely!

Sounds like a leaky coil, if water gets in a coil, they do that, once the coil dries/drains they work fine again... I am willing to bet, if you try the same coil again in the water the same might happen again.. But you said you tried another coil and got the same for a while, so I can't be sure...

Make sure you lube up your o rings good....

If water enters your connections the same can happen too, although, I think (after talking on the phone with Garrett Corp) water can get in your battery compartment and or your headphone and coil connections and that is as far as it can go, as those areas are still sealed from the bigger housing..

My first one actually got water inside the main unit, but Garrett replaced it free, minus the shipping it too them... I think my machine had already recovered $2000.00 in gold before she drowned...

Good luck yo!!

<*)))>{

Just a word of warning when it comes to water proof equipment. If it is rated for 10 feet, that doesn't mean you can hold it under your shower head, or get slammed by waves. The water pressure from a shower head, or a crashing wave, could exceed the water pressure at 10 feet under the water. Just something to keep in mind. :)

Just a word of warning when it comes to water proof equipment. If it is rated for 10 feet, that doesn't mean you can hold it under your shower head, or get slammed by waves. The water pressure from a shower head, or a crashing wave, could exceed the water pressure at 10 feet under the water. Just something to keep in mind. :)

Well a shower is kinda like a rainshower... it's perfectly fine underneath that... it's like a rain storm... haha. Not sure what your problem is but I have had falsing signals in salt water with my AT PRO... it just doesn't hold the capabilities that other machines designed for the salt water have. :) GL and HH

Just wanted to update this, I believe the issue was....ME:laughing:!! I was a little tentive putting it in the water and when it started beeping I freaked! Since then I have been in the water multiple times, even went back to the same hunting spot and there must be some EMI becaue it did the same thing and I just turned down the sensitivy 2 notches and it was all good! Thanks everyone for the info!

Waves

Get the coil under water and keep it there!

A coil moving up and down will false. Lower sensitivity and learn to work the coil between waves as it settles out.

Water dripping off a coil will cause false signals also. Have a tight wrap on the coil cord also.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom